5Year DL renewal and blood pressure

I went to a local clinic today for med cert for drivers license renewal.  I had various licenses here for the last 20 years.  My blood pressure was really on the high side.  (It usually is but after several 24 hour measurements its deemed acceptable without medication).  I had a serious party last Saturday and also last Thursday with solid amounts of booze.  This was for sure adding up to the readings.  After 3 attempts I gave up and they didnt issue the new medical.  

1.  Does anybody know the acceptable values with the new regulations?  They quoted 140/90 which I find really strict.

2. Does anybody know any clinic that does this the old way..... West of Bangkok:  Nakhon Chaisi, Nakhon Pathom etc.    

If you are above 50 years, 140/90 is considered normal for me because blood pressure goes up when one goes older.

It isn't considered high just borderline for younger people.

How much is your bp anyway?

Edited by EricTh

17 minutes ago, Thairakrot said:

I went to a local clinic today for med cert for drivers license renewal. 

You don't need a med certificate for license renewal

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Susco said:

I had 4-5 licenses here.  Always had medical.  All previous ones in Chatuchak.  This time in Nakhon Pathom.  I wish you were right, but Im afraid not

3 minutes ago, Susco said:

Unfortunately rules have changed. Always needed since a couple of months.

Also the form has changed and some self-declaration.

I wasn't aware there is high blood pressure tested.

My last certificates were written after I could stand on my feet at the reception desk.

Not seen a doctor at all.

1 minute ago, Thairakrot said:

I had 4-5 licenses here.  Always had medical.  All previous ones in Chatuchak.  This time in Nakhon Pathom.  I wish you were right, but Im afraid not

I'm having Thai driver license for the past 23 years, only time I needed a certificate was when I got my first license.

Look  for another DLT if they ask for in Chatuchak

1 minute ago, Susco said:

I'm having Thai driver license for the past 23 years, only time I needed a certificate was when I got my first license.

Look  for another DLT if they ask for in Chatuchak

Will do it in the Nakhon Pathom DLT.   So I guess I need to hunt for a new local clininc and beta blockers....

Previously I sometimes did the medical at Payathai / Bumrungrad but also a dodgy one in Soi 11/ something....

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Unfortunately rules have changed. Always needed since a couple of months.

Also the form has changed and some self-declaration.

I wasn't aware there is high blood pressure tested.

My last certificates were written after I could stand on my feet at the reception desk.

Not seen a doctor at all.

Wasn't aware of the change of rules. My last renewal was end of December at Banglamung, and no question about medical cerificate.

I'm safe for the next 6 years

12 minutes ago, Susco said:

Wasn't aware of the change of rules. My last renewal was end of December at Banglamung, and no question about medical cerificate.

12 minutes ago, Susco said:

Seems a change for the 5 years ones last couple of months....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Thairakrot said:

Today it was app 165 / 100.  Its usually 140-150 over 95.  I don't think its usually critically high and definitely no danger to my driving.... 

You’re right, its not a danger to your driving unless you have a stroke or a heart attack while driving. 

IF your blood pressure is consistently 165/140 its worth getting looked at. 

IF your blood pressure is > 180/110 one time per week (while at rest) get looked at. 

But, as you said, your blood pressure is 140-150 / 95 which is high, but not critically high.

Perhaps there was something not right with the machine.

My blood pressure is reliably 125 / 83 (or close to that figure) - I had a medical in Nov and my blood pressure reach 150 / 100... I refused to accept it was correct, the nurse told me it didn’t matter. I insisted they retake my blood pressure, the tested the other arm with similar results. 

I figured I may have a new issue I didn’t know about, so I pushed for a ‘re-check’ using a different machine, my blood pressure was 128 / 86 (or a something such value).

The calibration of the Auto Machines drift....  

Also, my blood pressure is higher when I’m lying down or when I’m holding my breath. I can make it go really high by tensing my core muscles and diaphragm. 

So, body position, breathing and relaxation play a roll in the value - sit upright, but relax and breathe deeply. 

If you are not happy with your blood pressure, ask them to use a different machine. 

If its still relatively high it make be time to respond and adjust some habits, diet etc.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Thairakrot said:

Seems a change for the 5 years ones last couple of months....

You know in Thailand, he who has the most convincing force sets the rules ????

Proven many times over when dealing with government departments

One of the things I liked about Thailand was that my blood pressure meds were over the counter and needed no prescription.  If I needed to drop my blood pressure a few hours for a ridiculous certificate, I know what I'd do.

That's not advice, BTW.  Ask your health care professional.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Susco said:

You know in Thailand, he who has the most convincing force sets the rules ????

Proven many times over when dealing with government departments

Many rules, even sometimes worse than Europe.  The good things is that your seldom need to follow them....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

One of the things I liked about Thailand was that my blood pressure meds were over the counter and needed no prescription.  If I needed to drop my blood pressure a few hours for a ridiculous certificate, I know what I'd do.

That's not advice, BTW.  Ask your health care professional.

Yeah.  What is the recommended  pill?

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You’re right, its not a danger to your driving unless you have a stroke or a heart attack while driving. 

IF your blood pressure is consistently 165/140 its worth getting looked at. 

IF your blood pressure is > 180/110 one time per week (while at rest) get looked at. 

But, as you said, your blood pressure is 140-150 / 95 which is high, but not critically high.

Perhaps there was something not right with the machine.

My blood pressure is reliably 125 / 83 (or close to that figure) - I had a medical in Nov and my blood pressure reach 150 / 100... I refused to accept it was correct, the nurse told me it didn’t matter. I insisted they retake my blood pressure, the tested the other arm with similar results. 

I figured I may have a new issue I didn’t know about, so I pushed for a ‘re-check’ using a different machine, my blood pressure was 128 / 86 (or a something such value).

The calibration of the Auto Machines drift....  

Also, my blood pressure is higher when I’m lying down or when I’m holding my breath. I can make it go really high by tensing my core muscles and diaphragm. 

So, body position, breathing and relaxation play a roll in the value - sit upright, but relax and breathe deeply. 

If you are not happy with your blood pressure, ask them to use a different machine. 

If its still relatively high it make be time to respond and adjust some habits, diet etc.

Will change the doctor I guess.....  High blood pressure is normal in my family.  But few died of strokes and theslikes.    Most reaches 80 up as well.   So I guess thai traffic authorities should have bigger worries than my blood pressure....

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Thairakrot said:

Today it was app 165 / 100.  Its usually 140-150 over 95.  I don't think its usually critically high and definitely no danger to my driving.... 

No, but a definite danger to YOUR health.

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

No, but a definite danger to YOUR health.

Can be.  But I'm hardly ever ill.  I exercise (almost) every day.  I feel fine.  And previous 24 hours tests were acceptable for my age according to the MD.  

6 minutes ago, Thairakrot said:

Can be.  But I'm hardly ever ill.  I exercise (almost) every day.  I feel fine.  And previous 24 hours tests were acceptable for my age according to the MD.  

65/100 is hardly healthy. I would change your MD to someone who knows.

What your BP is at any instant in time is immaterial. It is the average/trend which matters.

Drive to the hospital and take it immediately will be far higher than taking it 10 minutes after waking up.

I NEVER exercise, drink  lot of abeer and eat <deleted>, I feel fine, and at 73 my average morning is 124/73.,weight 74 kg. Guess I am lucky after a lifetime of self abuse.

Edited by KannikaP

9 minutes ago, Thairakrot said:

Yeah.  What is the recommended  pill?

All kidding aside, I'd ask the on-duty pharmacist at any major chain like Boots or Watson.  I'm sure there's horror stories out there.  But after my bypass surgery when I was taking gobs of prescribed meds, I struck up a relationship with the Boots pharmacists in my office building and found them to be extremely helpful and well trained.  That was in Asoke.

Of course, it's best to get a doctor's advice...

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

65/100 is hardly healthy. I would change your MD to someone who knows.

What your BP is at any instant in time is immaterial. It is the average/trend which matters.

Drive to the hospital and take it immediately will be far higher than taking it 10 minutes after waking up.

Correct.  That's why I have taken several 24 hours readings before.  The MD, on the average, has deemed those measurement sets acceptable.  

18 minutes ago, Thairakrot said:

White coat syndrome ,  when i was at the hospital last week , checked

blood pressure very high,  don't like hospitals + driving there , checked

it again in about an hour , down to normal..

regards worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, impulse said:

All kidding aside, I'd ask the on-duty pharmacist at any major chain like Boots or Watson.  I'm sure there's horror stories out there.  But after my bypass surgery when I was taking gobs of prescribed meds, I struck up a relationship with the Boots pharmacists in my office building and found them to be extremely helpful and well trained.  That was in Asoke.

Of course, it's best to get a doctor's advice...

Yes sure is.  In general I unfortunately don't have too much faith in doctors here, due to the incredible medication for small things.  (30% kick back counts...)..  Particulalry antibiotics.

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

White coat syndrome ,  when i was at the hospital last week , checked

blood pressure very high,  don't like hospitals + driving there , checked

it again in about an hour , down to normal..

regards worgeordie

I have the same issue.  Plus, the machines often read quite differently than the cardiologist that comes in 2 minutes later, checks with the old timey kit and tells me I'm fine.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, impulse said:

I have the same issue.  Plus, the machines often read quite differently than the cardiologist that comes in 2 minutes later, checks with the old timey kit and tells me I'm fine.

Yeah.  It will go from abnormal high to normal high....  The main thing now is to get the b...y new driver license without loosing more time on it.