Why can't the over 60's donate blood?

simon43

22 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I think that the 'over 60' rule is flexible and varies by location.

I am O rh negative (universal donor) and I have been a regular blood donor since the age of 18.

I have given blood regularly here on Samui and I have even been called by the local hospitals when there is an emergency. (Plane crash, bad motorbike accident etc.) Lots of farang holiday makers until last year, but not too many donors. Hence the flexibility

At the age of 65 there were questions but they still took my blood. Sometimes taking photos for the 'Facebook' pages.

I made my last donation last February as I was 70 in April. They said then that it would be the last one.

I recommend everyone donates blood (if they can).

IT SAVES LIVES.

PS I hate that red drink that they give you afterwards. Very sweet.

In the UK used to be a cup of tea and a biscuit.

According to a Doctor at the Red Cross blood donation center in downtown Bangkok (from a couple of weeks ago):

Under 60 : Not more often than once in 3 months.
60 to 65 : Not more often than once in 4 months.
65 to 70 : Not more often than once in 6 months.
Over 70 : Not accepted at present.

I'm also over 70 & have donated blood regularly all my life. I tried to push Thai Red Cross but the board's decision was against raising the age limit and against making me an exception. Rh 0-negative, big waste, esp as I have haemochromatosis (Asians don't get it) and have to have regular phlebotomies.

On 6/4/2021 at 9:31 AM, TigerandDog said:

Could have something to do with "mad cow disease" from many years ago. Over 60's are the generation ( from memory during the late 80's to around 2001 ) that this impacted upon, and  this generation were not allowed to donate blood if they had travelled to any of the countries where the disease was discovered.  The disease could spread to humans through consumption of beef and dairy products. Maybe a carry over from then.

I worked in farming ( not cows ) in Saudi Arabia in the 1980's for many years, each time I had to renew my driving licence I had to donate blood ( obvious exceptions eg. malaria etc.   Was never asked about mad cow infection.

4 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

I worked in farming ( not cows ) in Saudi Arabia in the 1980's for many years, each time I had to renew my driving licence I had to donate blood ( obvious exceptions eg. malaria etc.   Was never asked about mad cow infection.

that is very strange as Saudi Arabia is one of the countries that had mad cow disease, and if you consumed beef or dairy products from infected cattle it was transmissible to humans and could then be passed on via blood transfusions.

3 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

that is very strange as Saudi Arabia is one of the countries that had mad cow disease, and if you consumed beef or dairy products from infected cattle it was transmissible to humans and could then be passed on via blood transfusions.

Although in farming I did not eat meat of any kind, vegan since the 70's.
My wife had blood transfusions when our second child was born there, the hospital was excellent and even way back then would knock spots off many of today's hospitals.

On 6/3/2021 at 11:55 PM, Sheryl said:

Actually there are a lot of Thais - more and more -- who remain healthy and active well past 60. Attitudes haven't caught up with reality.

The assumption that by 60 people must be totally decrepit and at death's door is also prominent among local insurance companies.

Can't help laughing! Completely true of course. When Thai's express surprise at my age I'm sure it's not that they think how good I look (considering) but amazement that I'm still alive!

On 6/3/2021 at 1:51 PM, Tropicalevo said:

I think that the 'over 60' rule is flexible and varies by location.

I am O rh negative (universal donor) and I have been a regular blood donor since the age of 18.

I have given blood regularly here on Samui and I have even been called by the local hospitals when there is an emergency. (Plane crash, bad motorbike accident etc.) Lots of farang holiday makers until last year, but not too many donors. Hence the flexibility

At the age of 65 there were questions but they still took my blood. Sometimes taking photos for the 'Facebook' pages.

I made my last donation last February as I was 70 in April. They said then that it would be the last one.

I recommend everyone donates blood (if they can).

IT SAVES LIVES.

Top comments! Were you able to donate at a mobile session when 65? 

15 hours ago, tonray said:

Donate blood or have blood drawn for testing ? Big difference there

Of course there's a difference !
Donate blood.     I used to donate when I was in UK and also Australia out of choice, Saudi was a must do.