Where To Buy Solar Hybrid Inverter And what to buy

38 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

Thanks for the follow up Muhendis, Do you get your setup to priority between sun, battery, and utility supply power same way as with all in one? 

Pink

Yes. Priority is solar 1st and utility 2nd. The down side is that it takes a second to switch over so I have to have my computer on a UPS. The good thing about this way of doing things is that the utility supply allows me to run my rice mill which would be a bit of a challenge for the solar inverter. Switching over is simply a case of disconnecting the inverter output at its MCB and letting the ATS do its thing. There is also a manual override switch on the ATS which allows umm, well, manual operation of the switch. Useful if the internal switch motor were ever to stop working.

20220216_093512.jpg

11 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Yes. Priority is solar 1st and utility 2nd. The down side is that it takes a second to switch over so I have to have my computer on a UPS.

Your answer should be NO.

As the 'all in one' switch themselves with no interruption of power, and your computers work continuously.

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Your answer should be NO.

As the 'all in one' switch themselves with no interruption of power, and your computers work continuously.

All-in-one inverter units do indeed switch themselves and, as far as the consumer is concerned, it is a seamless changeover. However the discussion is about the use of my ATS and how its priority was arranged.

I should point out that, as mentioned earlier, my setup does not use an all-in-one inverter but instead uses individual elements so the ATS is quite a necessary part of the installation. My inverter does not have any mains input facility.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 1:16 PM, Crossy said:

Here in sunny Thailand you can guesstimate your realistic solar output by:-

Installed capacity x 0.5 x 6 hours = Energy Generated.

Solving for Installed Capacity = Energy Generated / (6 x 0.5).

We have Sofar inverters, but they aren't particularly cheap either.

When you calculate panels vs inverter would you limit panels to capacity listed on the panels even you just expect 50%?

Pink

2 hours ago, Pink7 said:

When you calculate panels vs inverter would you limit panels to capacity listed on the panels even you just expect 50%?

Pink

See what your panels actually produce, fit the real numbers to your inverter numbers.

My GTI said max PV max OC 45V, 1000w.

My panels said max OC 46V, 320w ............. but actually produced 46V at under 200W.

5 panels in parallel @ 320w worked perfectly for 2 years ............. (they never reached more than 800w)

A local Thai builder saw my setup, copied me without asking, 2 panels in series = 90V puff of smoke and burning smell.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now i research a plan for 2 x 5500kv inverters in parallel: So if i set up a single line (all serial) to each inverter, and a battery pack to each inverter.

So how to combine 2 x outgoing power from the inverters to House breakers box? Is there a good way to add a option for grid power to direct to breaker box if wanted or needed?

Pink

This will give a possibility for a step by step plan where i try out with one inverter and half of the panels first

Just now, Pink7 said:

So how to combine 2 x outgoing power from the inverters to House breakers box? Is there a good way to add a option for grid power to direct to breaker box if wanted or needed?

Task A. is to ensure your inverters are actually able to run in parallel. Grid-tie will naturally parallel but off-grid or off-grid hybrids need to know about each other.

If they are off-grid hybrids they will have a grid input, grid goes there. Inverter output goes to the house breaker box. The inverter instructions should show you how to add a bypass switch.

It's usual  for all the inverters to share a battery pack (or packs in parallel).

Why not start a thread and post what you intend doing there?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

If they are off-grid hybrids they will have a grid input, grid goes there. Inverter output goes to the house breaker box. The inverter instructions should show you how to add a bypass switch.

Something like this? https://www.lazada.co.th/products/3-knife-switch-2p-3p-32a-63a-100a-i2047964700-s6660382746.html?

Im going slow on this so im still not sure what to choose. And i need to know what i need etc before ask any here to help wire the AC cables from grid etc etc. But new tread coming for sure when im start ordering.

Regarding If they are off-grid hybrids they will have a grid input, grid goes there. Inverter output goes to the house breaker box. The inverter instructions should show you how to add a bypass switch: the 2 inverter outputs connected together or output 1 goes to inverter 2 then output 2 goes to house breaker box?

Right now its 2 x powmr 5.5kva ( parallel version) vs the 11kva Mppsolar.

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Edited by Pink7

• 4 months later...

I was plan to buy panels today then i just find a post in another tread about water heaters and all in one inverter not really a good match. I have 2 x 4500w showers.. So maybe then options is a grid tie inverter?

or maybe the low frequency 48V 10Kw diy i post before then with a extra ATS to grid power?

Pink

Edited by Pink7

1 hour ago, Pink7 said:

I was plan to buy panels today then i just find a post in another tread about water heaters and all in one inverter not really a good match. I have 2 x 4500w showers.. So maybe then options is a grid tie inverter?

or maybe the low frequency 48V 10Kw diy i post before then with a extra ATS to grid power?

Pink

Have you considered paralleling three units of 4 or 5 kilowatt inverters? 

That will give you all the power you need.

Also since you are talking off grid you will have batteries. If the day is a bit cloudy and you need more power than the panels can supply, the batteries will take up the slack so to speak.

You might also spend some time to make up a chart of power consumption against clock time then develop a few house rules about what is allowed to run and when.

Grid power is a relatively bottomless pit in terms of power availability but solar power needs to have it's limitations fully understood and maybe worked around.

Edited by Muhendis
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Have you considered paralleling three units of 4 or 5 kilowatt inverters? 

That will give you all the power you need.

Also since you are talking off grid you will have batteries. If the day is a bit cloudy and you need more power than the panels can supply, the batteries will take up the slack so to speak.

You might also spend some time to make up a chart of power consumption against clock time then develop a few house rules about what is allowed to run and when.

Grid power is a relatively bottomless pit in terms of power availability but solar power needs to have it's limitations fully understood and maybe worked around.

Yes i have think about  2 and also 3 inverters in parallel. And also the 11kw from Taiwan. Then i kind of end up with a plan where i can do this in steps without to large as first solar project: Start with a 5kv inverter and 4kw panels or so as step 1. The 5kv inverter could be the powmr 5.5kw ready for parallel and wifi. Then step to ad batteries. Then if or when want or need ad more inverters/panels/batteries.

Pink

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Problem being getting extra inverters to match your first one.

They seem to change specs every 6 months, and the new ones won't connect to the old ones.

Ok thats for sure a issue.

Pink

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

In Europe now there is power issues and also crazy prices on electric power ..I dont know what the chances for same issue here..but for me it was just another good reason to try get this project rolling. Even in the cold north Europe where im from they have waiting times of 6months + to get solar installed, so in this climate solar should be on every roofs.

Pink