Refused Visa !

Gf went for her visitors visa this morning and was refused.

Well Pee'd off. But not for me really but more for her!!!

Reasons were :- we have known each other for just under 6 months - (not long enough) but 6 months is!!!

and i submitted a copy of the last page of my passport (un requested) and they said that they wanted to see every page of it !!!!!??!?!?!?

My Gf went alone as i am still in the uk. Waited 6 hrs had a 30 min interview.

Was told if she came back next month it should be ok!!

But, what reason will they give next?????

Too gutted to type really, but just thought i'd let all those that have helped me know the result.

:D:D:o

My gf and I both read your message here. But we both think the grounds of refusal are very strange. I don't know about your gf, but is she really telling the truth about this. Grounds of refusal are no grounds whatsoever.

1. To know each other for 6 months is not long enough, but if she try one month later it will all be ok. So that means you have to know each other for 7 months (although everybody knows that you are in UK and she currently still in Thailand). So that one month longer you won't be together anyway!

2. Last page?? :o Shouldn't it rather be the first page with your picture and other identification?

So or the authorities refused because they didn't like the way she looked, her behaviour on the spot and just made up something to get rid of her; or your gf is lying about it (maybe she didn't have time to go) or God knows which other reason she might have. Refusal for these reason seems highly unlikely to me.

I know you might already be annoyed by this "accusing"of your gf. Because everybody warns you and blablabla. And you know her better and she would never do like that and blablabla. I'm not accusing, just don't believe too quickly. Ask for their phone number, call them and ask them again. If they truly said like that to her, forget I ever mentioned here something. And mock me about how I think I can be so sure about my gf. I'm only telling you for your own interest.

Sorry to hear that Spuds , yes they want every page of your passport , but that is a technicality. It's worth phoning the Embassy ( about 7am Uk time ) They are usually free in teh afternoon , get the name of the ECo ( Clearance officer) who interviewed your Gf and ask him for the reasons for refusal. They also have to send out a transcript of the interview , probably to your Gf's home address , in English and Thai. Get together with your Gf , when you come over next , if you are still both committed , the next step is the fiancee visa , work through the questions/answers , wait a while , get more eveidence of contact/support etc , then slap another application in ( Visa/settlement) this is appealable. Alternatively you could bin it all and move to Thailand. WHatever you choose , Good Luck !

My gf and I both read your message here. But we both think the grounds of refusal are very strange. I don't know about your gf, but is she really telling the truth about this. Grounds of refusal are no grounds whatsoever.

1. To know each other for 6 months is not long enough, but if she try one month later it will all be ok. So that means you have to know each other for 7 months (although everybody knows that you are in UK and she currently still in Thailand). So that one month longer you won't be together anyway!

TBH your gf was probably upset and misinterpreted the bit about "apply in 1 month etc " At the end of the interview/refusal , the ECo just say a few cursory things to get rid of the intervieweeand keep them sweet/avoid scenes etc.

. When my wife was refused the Holiday visa , she thought the Eco told her if she reapplied for a Fiancee visa , it would be guaranteed , she did , it wasn't........ B@stards...

It is well worth going the Thailand-uk.com and reading about their experiences Spuds. Also they would have explained that you need all pages of your passport whatever the application.

Chin up mate!

Spuds

Try again after you have known her for at least 6 months. Make sure your evidence is complete and up-to-date. Email the Embassy for any clarification required.

This is good advice Spuds. The Embassy draws a line under 6 months and until that period is reached, there is generally no hope. It isn't too bad, because Australia would be looking for an even longer relationship. Try again and give them every bit of paper known to man.

2. Last page?? :o Shouldn't it rather be the first page with your picture and other identification?

So or the authorities refused because they didn't like the way she looked, her behaviour on the spot and just made up something to get rid of her; or your gf is lying about it (maybe she didn't have time to go) or God knows which other reason she might have. Refusal for these reason seems highly unlikely to me.

At last, a real expert on the forum that really has a good knowledge of a UK passport.......................................

You would seem to be judging Spuds GF when people know that so many people are refused at the first attempt.

Your expertise on such matters will no doubt prove an invaluable scource of information in this Forum.

Wot a tossa!

Oh man, I'm really sorry Big Spuds....

We are in the same boat together my friend. I am flying out this friday and going Monday and really not looking forward to the prospect of being turned down. I dont know if you can reapply for a visitor visa, I heard you can't unless its a family visitor you were applying for.

It may be worth going in person next time my friend so you can get a better understanding of what they are saying.

I'm very sorry mate, I really hope it turns out better for you.

Mox.

Hi Spuds

sorry to hear about your GF visa refusal.

I have spent the last 6 months stuying the visa rules and processes. Regarding visitor visas it is mostly down to the status of the person applying for the visa as the Embassy need assurances that she will return to Thailand. I have spoken to advisers and they say that she must have some kind of employment status and have some money in the bank.

When my GF applied for her visitors visa we had known each other for 2.5 years however when she went for her interview the Embassy were looking for most of the information from her. This being employment and financial status and a couple of questions about myself. She received her visa a few days later. Does your GF have a job in Thailand ? Does she have sufficient( not sure what exactly is sufficient ) funds in her bank ??

Sometimes it can be a lottery when applying for a visa, the best thing Spuds is to wait for 2-3 months and apply again. It is an interesting point that the Embassy said to try again in a month, this dosen't seem practical because your relationship would only be 7 months old then and the reason you were refused was due to the short time that you have been together. Don't be disheartened Spuds, if at first you don't suceed, try try again.

Regards

Mon

Now i am not so gutted i will tell a little more.

GF waited 3 weeks for so called friends to turn up and take her to the embassy (as my gf had not been B4 and did not know where) Her friends had been and knew the score. So she waited 3 weeks, friend called and said it would be another 2. After 5 weeks of leaving home (Kaemphaeng Phet) and waiting for friends who should have turned up on the 2nd day of her returning to Pattaya, they turned up and said they could not go with her (long story, they had other commitments) She decided to be brave and go alone. We both knew the chances were very slim and did not build up hopes. Gave the GF money told her to go out and buy new smart clothes. She was well chuffed she said she looked important and like she worked in an office (bless).

She left Pattaya 5.30 in the morning and went to Banngers (on the bus (70 baht) as she refused to take money from my account to go by taxi (800 baht).

She had to stand up 3 hours all the way there as there was no seats (for 3 hours with stops and that).

Waited for about 6 hrs to been seen. She was interviewed by a farang with a thai lady interpreter. She said the farang seemed friendly enough and the lady too. Interview lasted 30 mins.

She was refused because she had known me for just under 6 months and that i had only sent the photo part of my passport. That was the reasons given.

They wanted to see where i had travelled etc. (not that this was a requirement for the visa or nothing to do with her gaining a visa in my eyes.)

I had sent a folder full of proof of our relationship. Bills, reciepts, emails, photos, letter of sponsorship, bank statements, letter from employer, payslips, travel itinery, the lot!!!!!

She said all they looked at was the emails ?????

There was nothing in the emails that stated she was a former BG or anything nasty or anything like that, just the usual i love you i miss you, when i would be seeing her, what i was doing etc.

I understand some people say its the way she acted, looked, spoke. My my GF is small i mean SMALL!! I'd say just over 4FT (no shes not a midget, the whole families small), she has the biggest smile i have ever seen in my life and never stops smiling. She knew to be extra polite, not get angy, upset, to smile lots and act well, and i dont doubt she did all this for a minute. She is very quiet even around her friends. so she is not a loud mouth girl. They couldnt have seen her as a pain or a typical BG or had suspicion she would cause a seen on refusal. So do you think these reasons were genuine? Would they have said more reasons if there was any?

When she called me she didnt sound too upset. It was only later in the day when i called to make sure she was home (after again she refused to spend money on a taxi). She broke down into tears. Saying how much she missed me and she really wanted to meet my family etc. I was more upset for her as i knew how much she wanted to come to the uk than i was for myself not being able to spend more time with her.

I asked her the next day if she had been given a letter why she was refused. She said yes but she could not understand it. (Cant read english) She faxed it to me .

It is titled "Information for entry clearance applications who have decided not to proceed with an application". The letter basically says she has not been refused an entry clearance but advised on the above given points that she probably would not be granted a visa. By having a preliminary interview.

Should she wish to continue a fee would be charged and she would have a formal interview with a different ECO.

She did not have to pay anything for the preliminary interview.

This confuses me a little! So if the 1st ECO thought she had a chance would she have another interview? or is it just the paperwork that states this ??? CONFUSED!!!

Anyone seen this before??

She told me the same day she would wait for me to return in september and we would go together. The next day she said forget that!! she is going after a month again and if she is refused she will go again with me, september. So we are trying again in one month just for the ###### of it and maybe we get lucky.

I will be going with her in september as people say it is better for her for me to go with her, but i fail to see how this would help as i dont get to go with her into the interview, do i?

Sorry to ramble on but, a few questions and maybe a little bit of "whats to come" for all those yet to venture on embassy soil.

Advice and positive comments appreciated.

Cheers

Marc

Sounds like a preliminary examination for a fiancée visa! Have you any evidence that the ECO knew she was applying for a visitor's visa? ECOs are fallible ๆ ๆ ๆ ๆ ๆ

I'd always assumed that one of the reasons they wanted a copy of the sponsor's passport was to back up a claim to have met. A photo page won't do that.

If there is now a 6 month rule, that could explain the advice to try again in a month's time!

I suggest that if your girlfriend applies again on her own, she not go via Pattaya. It'd probably be cheaper and less hassle to stay overnight in Bangkok, and she'd be fresher for the interview.

as i said earlier she small small and would be a bit afraid to stay in bangers alone, she stays in pattaya with a mate.

No evidence the ECO knew she wanted a tourist visa except for the application was on the tourist visa form and that i had wrote letters saying it was for a holiday. If he was a farang he could have understood this surely!!!

They wanted to see where i had traveled etc. (not that this was a requirement for the visa or nothing to do with her gaining a visa in my eyes.)

Have no first hand knowledge of the UK Embassy but if you are basing the visa request on your relationship (which you have to do as she would not qualify on her own) it may have a lot to do with it. You provided itinerary but that is not proof - stamps in your passport are proof that you have really been here. I would try again after the six month period and with all stamps in your passport. It sounds like you have a very good shot at it.

The fact she was not told to apply for another type of visa I would take as a very good sign that they are sympathetic and if all the "i" are dotted they will issue a visa.

Hi

Seems from following the thread that the ENGLISH man at the embassy was trying to be helpful by granting a 'trial; interview for free. That saved about 3500Baht and has let you know what is required, and a reasonable indication of success?

Wht not hang on until September when you come and can at least not be pulling your hair out from 8000 miles away.

Was it yourself where other posters were saying come 5 days early?

Would try to look at all the positive sides here. Your GF HAS NOT been refused a visa, just advised that CURRENTLY isuing one is unlikely. Sounds like a succesful day trip to me.

On a practical note there is ABSOLUTELY NO need to stand all the way to BKK ever. THe buses run from the bust station in Pattaya to BKK for 90 baht and it is all ticets. One seat per person. Nobody satnds!

hth

Spuds

I think it is possible to get a UK Visitor Visa having known a lady for under 6 months. This only happens in about 20% of cases of successful visa applicants. Most of the other successful UK VV applications are from people who have known their girlfriends for 9 months or more.

There are people in the UK who finally got Visitor Visas at the third attempt. I think they got a bit down-hearted at the second refusal and then waited a long time before the third application. The second application is therefore crucial to get right. Being at the interview will help (your passport will be with you so no problems there).

Should the second application fail, you should apply asap for a Fiancee Visa.

Yes apply for a fiance visa. But what if we dont want to get married yet!

We have spoke about it but the plans are if we are still together in the next 2 ys.

I think another said, and i feel the same way "i am not being forced into marriage because the embassy wont issue a holiday visa". Maybe we will get married, but not yet, she needs to see where i live, what i have, my family etc.

Besides i do not know her well enough yet.

Have thought about the fiance visa thing on the basis of applying but not getting married. But feel this could damage the chances of getting it when we want it for real.

So as said, she will try the start of august. if no good we go again around the 20th of september.

Are there any limitations to when you can re apply? i.e. when you are permitted to go back??

:o

We have spoke about it but the plans are if we are still together in the next 2 ys.

I think another said, and i feel the same way "i am not being forced into marriage because the embassy wont issue a holiday visa". Maybe we will get married, but not yet, she needs to see where i live, what i have, my family etc.

Have thought about the fiance visa thing on the basis of applying but not getting married. But feel this could damage the chances of getting it when we want it for real.

So as said, she will try the start of august. if no good we go again around the 20th of september.

Are there any limitations to when you can re apply? i.e. when you are permitted to go back??

HI SPUDS,

PLEASE CONSIDER VERY CAREFULLY BEFORE APPLYING FOR A FIANCEE VISA (AS A LAST RESORT) AS IF ISSUED YOU AND GF WILL BE EXPECTED TO MARRY WITHIN 6 MONTHS OF ENTERING UK,YOU HAVE ALREADY STATED THAT YOU ARE NOT READY TO COMMITT FULLY YET,IF YOU APPLY FOR THIS VISA AND DONT GO AHEAD WITH THE REQIREMENTS EXPECTED THEN ANY FUTURE VISA APPLICATIONS WILL SURLY BE LOOKED DOWN UPON,

IF YOU DO DECIDE HOWEVER TO APPLY FOR THE FIANCEE VISA THEN DO YOUR HOMEWORK AS AT THE LAST COUNT ITS NOT CHEAP (260 POUNDS),UNLIKE THE TOURIST VISA THOUGH YOU HAVE A RIGHT OF APPEAL IF UNSUCESFULL,

A POSTER (LADY I THINK?) EARLIER SUGGESTED THAT YOUR GF MAY NOT INDEED HAVE HAD A FORMAL INTERVIEW?

HAS YOUR GF BEEN STAMPED IN HER PASSPORT REFUSAL (WONT ACTUALLY SAY REFUSAL BUT WILL HAVE A STAMP IF INDEED SHE WAS FORMALLY INTERVIEWED AND REFUSED)

HANG IN THERE. :D

My friend Ross sent me this information, i hope you find it usefull:

Hi,

This is for those of you who were interested in how we got on getting Mee's visa...

Firstly, we got her a passport a few months ago. We did this in Bangkok.

It cost 1000baht, and took about an hour. Once done, they'll ask you to come back in a few days to collect the passport, or you can arrange for them to post it on to you.

Then, I read over all the details for getting her a tourist visa on the British Embassy website:

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/Thailand

I printed out the application form (VAF1), filled it out in English on behalf of Mee, and sent it. I didn't send much in the way of supporting evidence - just the form, the photos and the application fee.

An appointment date came through. It said to bring a whole load of stuff, such as bank statements, photos and other evidence. As the date wasn't convenient, I called the Embassy to change the date, and went over the list of things they were asking for, to make sure I was going to send the right stuff. Knowing how things work in Thailand, it's likely that we would have travelled all the way to Bangkok for our interview, to be told we have to go find more documents. The guy was very helpful, and even said that one or two things on the list wouldn't actually be required in our case, which made things a lot easier.

I e-mailed back home and asked them to send a copy of a few things that they wanted:

- Proof of sufficient funds to support the visit. In this case, I sent my last six month's UK bank statements, showing that I actually have the money I stated was available in the application.

- Proof of somewhere to stay for the visit. In this case, Mum and Dad had been to visit in February, so they were able to send a 'thankyou'

card, saying they were looking forward to us coming over for a few months, which was sufficient. They also sent a few photographs of themselves with Mee, as proof that they had met.

So, we turned up for our interview just after 10am, and she was called to the interview room before 11am. I was told to wait outside. She came out at one point, and asked for my passport and work permit and disappeared back inside. She came out a little later and told she was waiting for a verdict. Then she was called back in and told the verdict

- she'd got it. They asked us to come back to collect her passport on Monday, but we said we couldn't stay in Bangkok fo the weekend, so they said they'd have it done by the end of the day (which for them, turned out to be 12pm). We'd got it within two hours. Nice'n'easy - unlike a lot of cases you hear about.

Later, on the way home, I asked her about the interview. The interview room was a small booth with a plastic screen between the interviewee and the interviewers (two people). One person sat and flicked through the paperwork the whole time without saying a word. The other person just asked loads of questions. Apperently, it went something like:

Them: Do you speak English?

Mee: Only a few words.

Them: OK, we'll conduct the interview in Thai. You must answer the following questions truthfully. If I think you're lying, I'll refuse your application. Understood?

Mee: OK

Them: How long have you known Ross?

Mee: 1 year 8 months.

Them: Where and how did you meet?

Mee: In Samui, while I was working in a massage shop. (etc)

Them: Have you met Ross's parents?

Mee: Yes

Them: When?

Mee: When they came to visit in February. (etc)

Them: What do Ross's mum and dad do for work?

Mee: Not sure.

Them: What do you do for a living?

Mee: Take care of Ross.

Them: How much money do you earn yourself?

Mee: None.

Them: Whose money do you use?

Mee: Ross's

Them: What does Ross do for a living?

Mee: Works as a computer programmer in Koh Samui?

Them: Who does he work for?

Mee: He has his own company, which works for kohsamui.com.

Them: Does he have a work permit?

Mee: Yes

(at this point, I think she came and got my work permit for proof)

Them: Do you have plans to marry?

Mee: Yes.

Them: When?

Mee: In two or three years time.

Them: Do you have plans to move to UK?

Mee: No.

And that was about it. We are only planning to go for two months, so we applied for three (in case of problems with the return flight or whatever). The visa given actually lasts six months, so if we wanted we could stay until December (nah!!).

Looking back, it wasn't all that hard, especially as we have a fairly decent case. It was just the effort involved in co-ordinating all the paperwork, and actually travelling for the interview. Apparently, in some cases, an interview isn't required (i.e. if they've been before, or if sufficient evidence is sent in advance). With hindsight, if I'd have known a bit more about exactly what they were looking for, and sent copies of everything (such as my work permit etc) in advance, we may not even have needed to go to Bangkok for the interview.

Looks like i have it all covered then apart from the time known business. I have a folder of proof of relationship. so fingers crossed it will be as easy for us as it was for you once the minimum time required of knowing each other as passed. Thanks for the info. The only thing you have over me is that you live in thailand with a business to return to. Pin my GF does not and i live in the UK.

ive heard of this pre interview and i think its a good thing, as you have not had to pay. Why dont you just go down the route of paying the fee 2500bt and have an interview.

However before you go ensure all your paperwork is in order and a photocopy of all your passport (every page) this will show your in and out thailand stamps, and proves you were here when your lady said you both met.It also shows if you have been since. Do you support her? if so show all the transactions. Send photos of where your staying in the uk. Your Bank statements, investments etc.

If your g/f has seen your family and knows them get them to communicate to each other writing a letter or two will always help.

Your girlfriend was just a bit to calm over this she should have questioned them as to why this does show her intentions were real , and im sure they were.

I have seen a refusal letter stateing you never acted like a true girlfriend would when we told you you were being refused, however tell her not to start shouting etc.

I have helped many people get visa's and, i would say to you get her back in there with the completed form and as much evedence as possiable.

Fiancee visa be careful as some of your e-mails have said you talked about it and for it to happen in two years, not now. They will look upon this as your just saying this to get her over there.

GOOD LUCK

Please help me with one issue.

Me and my gf were planning to apply for a tourist visa and assumed it would be better if she stays at her job, rather than being unemployed when she applies. We have known each other for 18 months, but I live in Engand and seen each other about 5 times in total, each for about 3 weeks.

If I apply for a tourist visa for say 2 months holiday in UK, the embassy will realise the fact that she will be unemployed on her return to Thailand and not coming back to a job, which is in fact true, although she will be returning. I thought this job issue would be a big problem??

What I mean is,

You are applying for a 3 month tourist visa and surely the embassy realises that your Thai gf will not be coming back to a job in Thailand that will be kept open for 3 months, so I thought they would never issue a visa. What is best to do job wise in applying for a 2 or 3 month holiday visa to UK?

Agree totally. Ironic. How do couples know it will work in another country?

What I mean is,

You are applying for a 3 month tourist visa and surely the embassy realises that your Thai gf will not be coming back to a job in Thailand that will be kept open for 3 months, so I thought they would never issue a visa. What is best to do job wise in applying for a 2 or 3 month holiday visa to UK?

Surely its the same for all applicants?

On the same note, many applicants do casual work, here there and everywhere and don't have a steady job. They must be aware of this. I think on the visitor visa the finger points at you, its more important that you have income, savings house or whatever.

Spuds

If you are unsure about the marriage thing, then go for a Visitor Visa first. About a 1/3rd of Thai-UK couples wait until they have know each other for about 2 years before applying for a Settlement Visa. Many of these have used a VV first. About 3/4 of Settlement Visas are Marriage Visas, with the other 1/4 Fiancée Visas, i.e. most people choose to get married in Thailand.

The longer you have known your girlfriend the greater the chances of getting a Visitor Visa. Some people have to make 2 or 3 attempts before they succeed. Roughly 2/3rds of Visitor Visas granted are for the full 6 months. You just have to be patient if you go through the VV route.