Would you consider Turkey?

11 minutes ago, Pravda said:

One thing about Turkey is guaranteed better food than the slop they serve in Thailand.

I think that unfair and Thailand has many types of different dishes by region that are delicious.

However, if soup on the street is your budget, then yes, it is slop!

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 4:49 AM, ezzra said:

As already stated above, way too fanatically religious for everyday living, almost like other "enlighten" countries such Iran, Pakistan and other Mullahs sharia run countries, and any country who openly calls for the destruction and annihilation of another country based on religion should be shun from any tourists dollars... 

I think it's a very secular State still.

It's much like Iran.

Those in power have used the religion as a crudgle to beat secular people over the head and to steal the arms of the state.

I seriously doubt it's actually getting more religious. It's like saying this country is getting more conservative because of the last 3 years. It's absolutely not true. It's all the State actors

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

why you guys don't retire in your home country ?

Well, as an Australian I love Australia but dislike my fellow citizens so much I'd rather not have many around me at all. I had remote place off grid in the bush and a condo on the Gold Coast, the internal border travel issues screwed that up.  So until I am forced to, I would chose elsewhere and rent out my place here in Aus. Some of the fun is in the looking and exploring, more so then the destination. So far I have lived in Thailand, Philippines and Cambodia only, Laos post Covid I hope. The issue you raise is valid though, I don't do paperwork very well ???? and prefer to not enable petty corruption with bribes to smooth things over.

• Like 2

Food is very cheap including meat your in the land of kababs. Istanble antalya or old with old fashioned ways izmir more modern and modern thinking. I've live in all 3 and I have a house in kas which j rent out. Lors of call to pray which drives me crazy. Hospitals and medical very very good I would say better then Thailand. Weather good and have seasons. Nightlife is ok but nowhere near as much as Thailand more wine bars but very friendly the people go and take music instruments to play. Prices for everything much cheaper then Thailand.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BumGun said:

Well, as an Australian I love Australia but dislike my fellow citizens so much I'd rather not have many around me at all. I had remote place off grid in the bush and a condo on the Gold Coast, the internal border travel issues screwed that up.  So until I am forced to, I would chose elsewhere and rent out my place here in Aus. Some of the fun is in the looking and exploring, more so then the destination. So far I have lived in Thailand, Philippines and Cambodia only, Laos post Covid I hope. The issue you raise is valid though, I don't do paperwork very well ???? and prefer to not enable petty corruption with bribes to smooth things over.

Oz is the best place in the world to raise a family but for old bastards who still get morning wood it's as boring as <deleted>. 

20 hours ago, bojo said:

at least the inmates seemed have have freedom to roam around within the prison walls

Sounds like Mexico - if U got $$$ anything is available

Edited by canthai55

19 minutes ago, madmen said:

Oz is the best place in the world to raise a family but for old bastards who still get morning wood it's as boring as <deleted>. 

This is about  retirement...But Oz seems dreadful to me especially for kids. Cops, machismo,  violence  against  women, a total cultural  vacuum...The only place in the  world  where sport is held as important  as art, theater, literature etc and a really unsettling bedrock of racism..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

This is about  retirement...But Oz seems dreadful to me especially for kids. Cops, machismo,  violence  against  women, a total cultural  vacuum...The only place in the  world  where sport is held as important  as art, theater, literature etc and a really unsettling bedrock of racism..

Nonsense, just explain why every second commercial features Asian people or other nationalities  

14 minutes ago, Bigz said:

Why not Greece? Same climate as Turkey, very cheap rentals, no crazy dictator.

More expensive.

Harder to get residency if you're not an EU person.

Yes they are similar even though in theory they hate each other.

I have a friend who did the overland to India route around 1970.  Something happened to him in Turkey that he wouldn't speak of, and believe me this guy loves to complain.  Mention Turkey and he reacts like you just stepped on his foot.  I think he was raped.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I have a theory about authoritarian governments and expats. They may indeed be horrible for locals but if you're not a citizen you shouldn't be involved in local politics anyway so are they really that bad for expats? Arguably they are often better at least in some ways. Not a politically correct observation but I think its true.

Isn't Thailand a counter-example?

Cannot buy land, double pricing, 90 days, no vaccine...

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2021 at 7:52 AM, Farang99 said:

Before the current political leader Turkey was a tolerant multi cultural country. Under the present one it is emulating the Middle Eastern fundamentalists with more restrictions every day. I'd rather have Malaysia

I agree Malaysia would be better but their my second home program is very pricey.

I recall there was a post here saying that Turkey was a paradise for gays. I can't find it though. I don’t think it was meant sarcastically but I do wonder what he meant.

All I can imagine are that the Turkish baths are fun especially if you're a masochist and that in conservative Islamic cultures young men have barriers to fun with young women so many are shall we say flexible. I knew a guy who lived in Beirut Lebanon back in the day and omg the stories he would tell.

But based on my one visit to Turkey I felt the homophobia thick in the air even in Istanbul. That was long before Erdogan.

While I'm at an age where I really don't care about bar scenes anymore, I would care about discriminatory social attitudes and even the threat of violence. 

https://queerintheworld.com/gay-antalya-turkey-travel-guide/

Edited by Jingthing

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I recall there was a post here saying that Turkey was a paradise for gays. I can't find it though. I don’t think it was meant sarcastically but I do wonder what he meant.

All I can imagine are that the Turkish baths are fun especially if you're a masochist and that in conservative Islamic cultures young men have barriers to fun with young women so many are shall we say flexible. I knew a guy who lived in Beirut Lebanon back in the day and omg the stories he would tell.

But based on my one visit to Turkey I felt the homophobia thick in the air even in Istanbul. That was long before Erdogan.

While I'm at an age where I really don't care about bar scenes anymore, I would care about discriminatory social attitudes and even the threat of violence. 

https://queerintheworld.com/gay-antalya-turkey-travel-guide/

Well..stay away then. Of course there will always have (gay) people to have a great time over there.  Even though it has been legalised, the general population in the capital frown when confronted to gay behaviour, I can only imagine in smaller cities. I know of one lady friend who loves it over there and has been in Turkey for over 20 years  but she is wealthy and has quite a lifestyle. I also  know of a family who had bought a house in Bodrum, loved the place for years, even contemplating retirement when their teenage kids would be "out of the way" but a few years ago they felt  compelled to sell due to a pressuring feeling of insecurity not withstanding the fact they sold at more than a bargain price. This being said I like the Capital and would consider spending a few days again but definitely not live there as far as freedom is concerned, not specifically referring to gay life. People were friendly though. If you have the means...go for Tel Aviv, if you can stand the Israeli mentality that is. 

5 hours ago, alyx said:

Well..stay away then. Of course there will always have (gay) people to have a great time over there.  Even though it has been legalised, the general population in the capital frown when confronted to gay behaviour, I can only imagine in smaller cities. I know of one lady friend who loves it over there and has been in Turkey for over 20 years  but she is wealthy and has quite a lifestyle. I also  know of a family who had bought a house in Bodrum, loved the place for years, even contemplating retirement when their teenage kids would be "out of the way" but a few years ago they felt  compelled to sell due to a pressuring feeling of insecurity not withstanding the fact they sold at more than a bargain price. This being said I like the Capital and would consider spending a few days again but definitely not live there as far as freedom is concerned, not specifically referring to gay life. People were friendly though. If you have the means...go for Tel Aviv, if you can stand the Israeli mentality that is. 

Tel Aviv is super expensive so thanks but no thanks. Israel doesn't have a retirement visa but Jews can apply for citizenship based on the Israeli law of return. There are many other countries that offer similar immigration shortcuts based on family history. I know of Italian Americans who have done that.