Would you consider Turkey?

2 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

Currency in freefall, some decent beaches, nice culture and people, history, good food, very out of place with Thai wife but Turks interested in outside world. Friendly.

No, country in death spiral not all that different than Thailand politically. Perpetual war on its borders.

I'm thinking Spain. Heard Portugal nice but has issues so it's Spain. Wish I could afford Italy.

Italy is cheap some small cities offer to buy a price of 1 $

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Poet said:

I was just writing up my observations on my stays in Turkey, but this is ridiculous.

How can we discuss any country without having a general discussion that compares many?

You are asking people to engage in a discussion and share their experiences, but then cracking down on the natural flow that emerges?

Screw that.

Sorry you feel that way.

I didn't mean people shouldn't make casual references elsewhere but with a less popular country like Turkey this could easily devolve into everything but Turkey.

Topics don't need to be about everything. 

We have had numerous topics about many different places. Portugal, Latin America, USA, all over Asean, etc.

For example 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I have a Turkish buddy with a Thai wife who came to the USA nearly 30 years ago.  Got one of those lottery immigrant visas.  He goes back on rare occasions to visit family, but that's about it.  One time years ago his wife met some Turkish people in the U.S. and invited them to dinner, along with us.  He told his wife never to invite them again. Said "That's why I left Turkey."  They had the head scarves and all that stuff ...  My pal is low-key and not a religion nut.  More European to my way of thinking.  Anyway, I can't see him ever moving back there.  He might spend some months of the year in Thailand when it opens up.

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Lived in Dalyan for 8 years ask me anything its a beautiful country with one overwhelming drawback its full of Turks and a psychotic Sultan????

For what reason did you live there for 8 years?

While I'm aware of the political and cultural changes in Turkey that I think are fair to characterize as unappealing to westerners, I'm wondering if there are ways to minimize the impact on expats. I'm thinking particularly of whether living in the more cosmopolitan centers of Antalya or especially Istanbul could be used as a bubble to filter out most of that stuff.  

I stayed in Northern Cypress for 3 months and that was in low season in Thailand so it was their high season, we had a gret time but I dont think I could live there and their low season is cold and wet, 

No problem with language they spoke enough English we rented a 2 bedroom villa on airbnb I thought the food was good and the wife was happy she could have seafood everyday, 

I have known a few people move out of Phuket and go live in Cypress and never came back

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I stayed in Northern Cypress for 3 months and that was in low season in Thailand so it was their high season, we had a gret time but I dont think I could live there and their low season is cold and wet, 

No problem with language they spoke enough English we rented a 2 bedroom villa on airbnb I thought the food was good and the wife was happy she could have seafood everyday, 

I have known a few people move out of Phuket and go live in Cypress and never came back

Cyprus is not Turkey and bears no resemblance  to it..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

While I'm aware of the political and cultural changes in Turkey that I think are fair to characterize as unappealing to westerners, I'm wondering if there are ways to minimize the impact on expats. I'm thinking particularly of whether living in the more cosmopolitan centers of Antalya or especially Istanbul could be used as a bubble to filter out most of that stuff.  

The tourists coast lines are cosmopolitan

5 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I'm a traditionalist so roast beef just don't cut it at Christmas...but seriously Turkey  has some upsides..Great hash, cheap hair transplants, legal prostitution,  great coastlines, excellent cultural historicity, cheap property, varied climate, excellent  food. It's a gateway  to Europe and the Orient but I've  never heard of it being a retirement  option. I was there in 75 the year of the Midnight Express events

They don't have a retirement visa option but their visa system has become very open to retired expats. You wouldn't be a pioneer.

Edited by Jingthing

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

As already stated above, way too fanatically religious for everyday living, almost like other "enlighten" countries such Iran, Pakistan and other Mullahs sharia run countries, and any country who openly calls for the destruction and annihilation of another country based on religion should be shun from any tourists dollars... 

Turkey is part European and led the way in non religious  extremism ie secular Islam. It bears no resemblance to Pakistan!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

35 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

They don't have a retirement visa option but their visa system has become very open to retired expats. You wouldn't be a pioneer.

Well I was there  in 1975 but thought of retirement  were not in my head. Greece would be a better option than Turkey

20 minutes ago, Hyna said:

If you were in Turkey you would already be vaccinated with Pfizer.

They want foreigners and treat them better than their own. Opposite of Thailand. 

Antalya is not islamistic. Many women from ex-USSR.

"If you were in Turkey you would already be vaccinated with Pfizer."

Simply not true..Nonsense.