Where to find a regular personal cook/chef?

DaveLukKhrueng

Hi there! I live in Bangkok, and have been looking online for someone/service to prepare meals on a regular basis for me in my home.

Not necessarily looking for a "fine dining" experience, just more of a practical time and effort saver. Most services I've seen online are in the fine dining vein.

Any help/references/recommendations are much appreciated!

Edited by DaveLukKhrueng
  • Haha 2

Almost all Thai ladies that I have met are good cooks. Why not try hiring a cleaner who will also be willing to cook for you?

I'm certain that you could find someone to come and clean your apartment and cook you a decent meal for under 500 baht a day.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

She work on her back?! Or why cant cook? Almost every Thai woman know how to cook!

My GF's mom had a restaurant for 25 years..do she knows how to make Thao standards.. But she has a demanding management job and simply has no desire to cook on her time off. I am a great cook (not a chef) so I enjoy being the master of  the kitchen

3 hours ago, DaveLukKhrueng said:

Ah c'mon man. Trying to eat healthy! CP is like leftover meat from the Thai prison lol

thai trying to talk like farang ?

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, wprime said:

There is a culinary school in Sukhumvit Soi 4. They close around 8pm so you should be able to find a student chef outside around that time. Look in front of Nana Hotel.

Thanks! I like this idea.

Checked out Paleo Robbie too, looks legit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

Almost all Thai ladies that I have met are good cooks. Why not try hiring a cleaner who will also be willing to cook for you?

I'm certain that you could find someone to come and clean your apartment and cook you a decent meal for under 500 baht a day.

Thanks Ben! This is actually a really good idea too. Next maid I get from Seekster (app I usually get cleaning help) I'll make sure to ask.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveLukKhrueng said:

Thanks Ben! This is actually a really good idea too. Next maid I get from Seekster (app I usually get cleaning help) I'll make sure to ask.

If you are already employing maids, then you didn't really need to ask here, you should have just asked the maid and slipped her an extra 50 for making your food. If you have any other requirements, I'm sure these ladies can accommodate you. Sounds like a win-win situation.

I doubt that they will be able to cook a shepherd's pie, a carbonara or a coq-au-vin, but you'll probably get a badass grapao moo.

On 6/6/2021 at 6:14 PM, bangsaenguy said:

Mine cooks only Thai food so she's a total waste of time. I do the cooking

yes it's about time the OP learns how to cook, I cook every day different foods, I am not to keen on Thai foods what's so hart about cooking?

jag.webp

• Like 2

On 6/6/2021 at 4:36 PM, DaveLukKhrueng said:

I don't really have a firm budget right now...like I said I'm not sure how much people charge...

If you're in BKK with all the delivery options, and you're not wanting a gourmet or specific dietary experience, it does seem like overkill. 

But I'm sure word of mouth would be the best way, so find a competent translator, maybe a friend, and ask them to tell the local service staff, your security people, maintenance, garders etc. what you're after. Or even get a post written in Thai and shared on FB etc.

Better make sure they know you want a cook with foreign language skills and I daresay Western recipe familiarity, maybe some expats Thai widow could be your answer.

That's how I'd do it anyhow.

Bon appetit!

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 4:37 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I married one… 

Seriously though, services such as PaleoRobbie may be an option… 

Maybe a plan B anyway. 

PaleoRobbie is a good idea, and there are many more similar services run by Thais who will probably be cheaper but use "lower quality" ingredients and make meals more in "Thai style". Check out Facebook and you can find hundreds of similar servives offering complete meals - just test a few out and see which one is up to your taste.

On 6/6/2021 at 5:42 PM, wprime said:

There is a culinary school in Sukhumvit Soi 4. They close around 8pm so you should be able to find a student chef outside around that time. Look in front of Nana Hotel.

they cook now too? Things have changed.

• Haha 1