Where to find a regular personal cook/chef?

DaveLukKhrueng

Well if you haven't found a cook or private chef by October shoot me a message. Hopefully I can get back then without jumping through too many hoops. I was certified a chef  through college many years ago and have been cooking here in Pattaya for my family and friends special occasions for the past 20 years. Obviously it all depends on what you are looking for. In the meantime good luck.

On 6/6/2021 at 5:14 PM, bangsaenguy said:

Mine cooks only Thai food so she's a total waste of time. I do the cooking

You live in Thailand and do not like Thai food. I hope you are good cook and not sausages and eggs every meal. Only joking but why live in  a country where you do not like the food. Apart from the the problem that your wife is losing face because you do the cooking.

On 6/6/2021 at 7:24 PM, tonray said:

My GF's mom had a restaurant for 25 years..do she knows how to make Thao standards.. But she has a demanding management job and simply has no desire to cook on her time off. I am a great cook (not a chef) so I enjoy being the master of  the kitchen

I could cook better than a couple of my farang wives but forgotten most of it now. The wife is an excellent cook, be it Isaan (no thank you), Lao or Bangkok style. She does enjoy it when I do cook farang food but would not approve of me doing all of the cooking.

• Like 1

Just now, Golden Triangle said:

That is just so much garbage, I have been living here 10 years and visited for many years prior to retiring here, I don't eat Thai food either, I simply can't eat spicy food, nothing wrong with that, I sometimes have Indian food but not spicy, same with Thai & Chinese food, my Mrs is a brilliant cook, she makes so many Western dishes & also enjoys European food, she hunts the internet for new recipes to try.  If you live in Nackon Nowhere you probably don't have a choice, but here in the real world we do.

As for his Mrs losing face ????????????????????????????????

Hi-so wife. Okay

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

You live in Thailand and do not like Thai food. I hope you are good cook and not sausages and eggs every meal. Only joking but why live in  a country where you do not like the food. Apart from the the problem that your wife is losing face because you do the cooking.

The comment you replied to, the person only said that "mine cooks only Thai food so she's a total waste of time". Where do you read in there that he doesn't like Thai food??
I have yet to meet an Englishman who said he likes English food. So, why do so many people live in England!? It's a weird question. Is food the reason for why you choose to live where you do? Never heard of such a thought before. Talk about living for your stomach!
And the wife losing face for his cooking rather than her?? Are you serious? If anything it's a massive face-gain!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Apologies for the above facetious post. Half of the Thai food my wife cooks is not spicy. I have to add the chilli after so the notion that it is all spicy is a myth.

My post wasn't facetious, it was truthful, if you want to eat Issan sausages of dubious fillings & quality, or pigs entrails, pork or fish balls, and other dodgy combinations then hey that's up to you, I have driven many thousands of kilometres north, south east & west in the 10 years I have been here, suffered horrendous food poisoning from insanitary food, pots or personal hygiene, I'm still here and will remain here for as long as I am allowed to, because we live in Thailand doesn't mean we have to slavishly only eat Thai food, my Thai daughter in law works as a chef in a very large hotel, I can tell you now that she doesn't eat fish & chips on a Friday or a full roast dinner on a Sunday. So your argument holds no water.

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Got bored with a steady diet of Thai food 20 years ago. Rice 3 times per day does not appeal to me. I am actually a good cook. My wife prefers a variety of food as well. Loss of face? Hardly. She hates to cook but likes to help me

Edited by bangsaenguy
  • Like 2

On 6/6/2021 at 6:08 PM, BenDeCosta said:

Almost all Thai ladies that I have met are good cooks. Why not try hiring a cleaner who will also be willing to cook for you?

I'm certain that you could find someone to come and clean your apartment and cook you a decent meal for under 500 baht a day.

Wow! Different circles I guess! I have found not quite the opposite, but I have found that most women I've known do not know how to cook much at all. And anything outside of Thai dishes of course would be an absolute no-way.

I think your idea about a maid that also cooks should be a pretty usual situation and for the price you mentioned, I can't imagine that being difficult to find at all! I have a feeling that pretty much any woman who is in the income class of a maid, likely knows how to cook quite well. Although I wouldn't expect them to know much of anything outside of Thai dishes. But for that price, hopefully they'd be willing to learn and try stuff from YouTube or something. Heck, for that price, they should do the shopping too.

On 6/6/2021 at 6:08 PM, BenDeCosta said:

Almost all Thai ladies that I have met are good cooks. Why not try hiring a cleaner who will also be willing to cook for you?

I'm certain that you could find someone to come and clean your apartment and cook you a decent meal for under 500 baht a day.

Wow! Different circles I guess! I have found not quite the opposite, but I have found that most women I've known do not know how to cook much at all. And anything outside of Thai dishes of course would be an absolute no-way.

I think your idea about a maid that also cooks should be a pretty usual situation and for the price you mentioned, I can't imagine that being difficult to find at all! I have a feeling that pretty much any woman who is in the income class of a maid, likely knows how to cook quite well. Although I wouldn't expect them to know much of anything outside of Thai dishes. But for that price, hopefully they'd be willing to learn and try stuff from YouTube or something. Heck, for that price, they should do the shopping too.

• Like 1

Just now, Golden Triangle said:

My post wasn't facetious, it was truthful, if you want to eat Issan sausages of dubious fillings & quality, or pigs entrails, pork or fish balls, and other dodgy combinations then hey that's up to you, I have driven many thousands of kilometres north, south east & west in the 10 years I have been here, suffered horrendous food poisoning from insanitary food, pots or personal hygiene, I'm still here and will remain here for as long as I am allowed to, because we live in Thailand doesn't mean we have to slavishly only eat Thai food, my Thai daughter in law works as a chef in a very large hotel, I can tell you now that she doesn't eat fish & chips on a Friday or a full roast dinner on a Sunday. So your argument holds no water.

I agree that you have to be selective, as I said in an earlier post, I normally do not eat Isaan food because of what you have experienced and the fact that a lot of it looks as bad as it smells. But there is plenty of good food out there. The wife grows most of her own vegetables and buys meat from the local market. I have just finished stir fried asparagus with pork and tomatoes, no chilli, basil or garlic.

1 minute ago, Sig said:

Yes, 100% agree, there's no way they'd be able to cook Western food.

On 6/6/2021 at 5:42 PM, wprime said:

There is a culinary school in Sukhumvit Soi 4. They close around 8pm so you should be able to find a student chef outside around that time. Look in front of Nana Hotel.

Soi 4. Ask for Rob, he can guide you.

7 minutes ago, bangsaenguy said:

Got bored with a steady diet of Thai food 20 years ago. Rice 3 times per day does not appeal to me. I am actually a good cook. My wife prefers a variety of food as well. Loss of face? Hardly. She hates to cook but likes to help me

I know I am lucky as my wife is a good cook and has a big variety of recipes, all in her head, (not like her sister who's husband has to cook most of the time). Mine likes any help I give but male/female duties are generally split on old fashioned times. Good for me and good for her (do not want her to turn western, had too many of them already).

On 6/8/2021 at 3:39 PM, chalawaan said:

If you're in BKK with all the delivery options, and you're not wanting a gourmet or specific dietary experience, it does seem like overkill. 

But I'm sure word of mouth would be the best way, so find a competent translator, maybe a friend, and ask them to tell the local service staff, your security people, maintenance, garders etc. what you're after. Or even get a post written in Thai and shared on FB etc.

Better make sure they know you want a cook with foreign language skills and I daresay Western recipe familiarity, maybe some expats Thai widow could be your answer.

That's how I'd do it anyhow.

Bon appetit!

some expats Thai widow could be your answer.

Guys pay attention. Job opportunity with rich farang. Don't get killed.

On 6/6/2021 at 8:11 PM, DaveLukKhrueng said:
On 6/6/2021 at 5:42 PM, wprime said:

There is a culinary school in Sukhumvit Soi 4. They close around 8pm so you should be able to find a student chef outside around that time. Look in front of Nana Hotel.

Thanks! I like this idea.

Checked out Paleo Robbie too, looks legit.

Just in case you took the post seriously, you will not find any student chefs in front of Nana hotel after 8pm. Students, possibly, but not chefs.

Edited by timendres

On 6/6/2021 at 4:20 PM, DaveLukKhrueng said:

Hi there! I live in Bangkok, and have been looking online for someone/service to prepare meals on a regular basis for me in my home.

Not necessarily looking for a "fine dining" experience, just more of a practical time and effort saver. Most services I've seen online are in the fine dining vein.

Any help/references/recommendations are much appreciated!

You either haven't lived here very long or you are terrible at searching online. 

Here are a selection all in Bangkok 

https://maricelsvegancrush.com/ 

https://thenutrichef.net/

https://djpoommenu.com/home-en.html

https://www.fitmealfood.com/

On 6/6/2021 at 3:42 AM, wprime said:

I've seen many girls out there who can at least make me hot. But cook, no.