The wife and I opened separate bank accounts at the Pink bank (GSB). 'Farang are not allowed to have the phone app'...

4 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I've had online banking with Kbank since 2004. Their mobile App is super too. Very easy.

Yeah...Kasikorn even installed two apps on my phone...one for SME (because the girl appareently thought I was a business owner) and the regular app. Both work to this day.

Edited by tonray
  • Like 2

What visa/extension are you on ? 

When I first asked about online banking with Bangkok Bank, I was told I couldn't get it as I wasn't on a "year long" visa.

After I did get my "year long visa" they set me up no problem (within minutes actually). (I don't do banking on my phone though.)

And if they still say no, there's no reason you can't simply tell them "Thank you, I will now close my account(s) and open new ones at one of your competitors." 
Smaller branches may not want to lose too many accounts as it looks bad for the manager.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You need a Thai ID number to activate the phone apps. This includes LinePay. No idea if the pink ID cards work.

I feel your frustration after years in China with WeChat Pay. Nobody had cash and even little street carts had a QR code on the front. It was great.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I have accounts with KBank, Bangkok Bank and SCB and they all gave me the phone app. Never questioned it at all.

I reckon you just met some angry clerk who probably got offended by a farang at some point and simply made up the rule to annoy you. Try another branch/bank.

19 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

No Thai ID numbers for either my Bangkok Bank nor Kasikorn Bank account apps on my iPhone. Just sayin ...

my Bangkok Bank app had to be activated by the woman in the bank while opening account.  

same SCB. 

Do you remember doing anything like that? 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, johng said:

Before taking the "Nuclear"  option it might be worth going to a/some different GSB  branch and ask them..often the employees are in "drone" mode can not think outside the box at all.

i.o.w., they are confined in the box... very appropriate considering the present sanitary situation.  ????????

22 hours ago, BangkokReady said:
22 hours ago, johng said:

often the employees are in "drone" mode can not think outside the box at all

Just a "mode", huh?  As soon as they leave work they're back to independent and critical thinking?

Sure they are.

I've lost count of how many times I've seen the office worker riding their scooter on the evening commute suddenly brake and cut across three lanes of traffic without looking or signalling just to get to their favorite khao man gai stall?

22 hours ago, emilyarin said:

tell them to poke there account and go to SCB I pay all my bills transfer money on my phone app easy, ????????

I have a KTB Bank App and a K Bank App.

Pay Bills, Transfer Etc on both no problem.

You can also apply to get a True Money App. Its like a debit card for small amounts to about 5K I think is the limit.

Tell GSB you no longer require their excellent service, and bank else where.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

my Bangkok Bank app had to be activated by the woman in the bank while opening account.  

same SCB. 

Afraid it was too long ago. Kasikorn account opened 2010 on a Visa exempt entry (friend here in Chiang Mai let me use his address). Bangkok Bank account opened 2011 upon retiring here (O-A Visa).

7 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I've had online banking with Kbank since 2004. Their mobile App is super too. Very easy.

+1, and I also had SCB which I dumped as I always had issues with their app and website locking me out while I was in the US, and could never get ahold of a customer service agent because it was after hours.  K-Bank does a super job and I have never had any issues with them, even changed my phone number and address with no problems.  Many functions also available at the ATM with even card less withdrawal being available if all you have is your phone and need cash.  Mobile banking, bill pay, topping up phone for the GF, paying my condo juristic fees by transfer and such......

• Like 1

same SCB. 

K-bank needs to be activated using wifi before you can use the app in 4g or 5g mode.  Yes the bank can do it for you, but you can also use the KBank ATM to register and add features as well.

same SCB. 

And back in the day, before people had iPhones and mobile apps, Bangkok Bank wouldn't activate the internet banking facility without a work permit. It seemed absurd at the time.

I guess it takes a bit of time for some banks to come around. I doubt GSB will ever come around, I think I tried contacting them once on about some kind of joint account and it was difficult to communicate.

2 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

You need a Thai ID number to activate the phone apps. This includes LinePay. No idea if the pink ID cards work.

I feel your frustration after years in China with WeChat Pay. Nobody had cash and even little street carts had a QR code on the front. It was great.

While would Chines Government hackers hack their own stuff? They only do this to those who do not agree ????