Indian COVID-19 variant found in 235 people in 10 of Thailand’s provinces

22 minutes ago, tanner said:

Despite having both phfizer jabs and taking the usual precautions the Indian variant got me, now on day 10 of isolation, feeling better but now worried about future infections

That stinks! I'm still taking care, have had both AZ jabs, don't want to catch it again now we're on last mile of marathon

8 hours ago, rabas said:

WHO's use of Greek letters was not because of a "Thai" strain. It was WHO politics and social engineering at it's worst, yet again.  From the WHO:

"The World Health Organization (WHO) announced May 31 that it has given new names to the several versions, or variants, of new coronavirus spreading around the world. Based on Greek letters, the names are simple and easy to remember."

Lol, right. Tell me where Gamma came from and how it relates to Alpha Beta Zappa Dappa Doo. I do remember the Indian variant picked up a UK strain mutation in Vietnam, and that's a problem now ignored by the news. The Greek letters is only a WHO convention and WHO does not set scientific principles or practice.

There may be several variants arising in India, so I was thinking that it would be better to name them after cities. Perhaps to lessen the sting, use the old names, such as Bombay, Calcutta, Madras. But if they go for Delta, why not rivers: Yamuna, Ganges, etc. Greek letters: They should ask Greece first!

Finally, the best may be to ignore WHO and continue saying Indian, until further notice.

Edited by placnx
an afterthought
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Pfizer and AZ only 32% after first dose, for Sinovac there is no data as yet

That's not correct.  Pfizer is much better than that

Edited by Jeffr2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree that the WHO, trying to be politically correct has gone Greek on us. Alpha is the UK variant.

Delta is India Variant, is the C in Greek or Kappa for the China variant or would that make too much

sense? The original virus does not have a Greek letter?  How nice....

Geezer

Edited by Stargrazer9889

19 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

That's not correct.  Pfizer is much better than that

Should we all believe you over the worlds scientists? Think not

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57214596

The Pfizer and AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccines are highly effective against the variant identified in India after two doses, a study has found.

Two jabs of either vaccine give a similar level of protection against symptomatic disease from the Indian variant as they do for the Kent one.

However, both vaccines were only 33% effective against the Indian variant three weeks after the first dose.

This compared with 50% effectiveness against the Kent variant.

3 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Should we all believe you over the worlds scientists? Think not

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57214596

Doesn't match up with other articles I've been reading. Here's but one.

https://theconversation.com/whats-the-indian-variant-responsible-for-victorias-outbreak-and-how-effective-are-vaccines-against-it-161574

• both Pfizer and AstraZeneca are 33% effective against symptomatic disease (COVID-19 symptoms such as fever, dry cough and tiredness) three weeks after the first dose

• Pfizer vaccine is 88% effective against symptomatic disease two weeks after the second dose

• AstraZeneca vaccine is 60% effective against symptomatic disease two weeks after the second dose.