Vaccine choice: Price of Moderna set by Thai Private Hospitals' Association

webfact

Vaccination is not a one-off procedure. You should do it at least 2 times per year. Maybe you think that a delay of 6 or 12 more months for Moderna is ok. But that exactly mean you will not be protected about 50% of time in the future because of delays. Thats why It is more reasonable to choose Sinovac - it ensures sufficient delivery speed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A bit late isn't it? October + next year

Yes, its a bit late for your first jab, but I just got mine, AstraZeneca, yesterday and will get my second jab three weeks from now.

I might opt for some other vaccine, like this Moderna, later on.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A bit late isn't it? October + next year

Frankly, by that time the Moderna might be already somewhat obselete, since the virus keeps mutating.

I know that Biontech, AZ and Curevac are working on 2. gen.

• Thanks 1

As far as i can see the US developed Moderna Vaccine is being sold to EU countries for THB 561 per vaccine. the US are selling it to Thailand for THB 1900 per vaccine that seems a bit steep in my opinion.

The UK are not making any profit from the AZ vaccine as far as i know

In fact I'm sure that The UK vaccine was funded wholly by the Uk government and they are giving it to everyone that needs it at cost and giving it for free to less well off countries, Thailand being one i think.

Personally i don't think anyone should make a profit at this time and yet there they are. 

Any how at least the likes of Ebay and Amazon stepped in and offered free worldwide distribution to enable the vaccine to be distributed globally ????

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

These will arrive according to a schedule. Four million in October, one million at the start of next year and the rest in stages after that. 

So is that 4M FIRST shots for 4M people in October?  Or 2M FIRST shots and 2M SECOND shots for 2M people in October?  The second shot is supposed to be given 4 weeks after the first shot, but NOT LONGER than 6 weeks (though I'll note that the US CDC also says if your second shot is more than 6 weeks after the first, you don't need to restart).

If they give out 4M first shots in October and won't have any more to give until 2022, the efficacy goes down.  From the US CDC:

Effectiveness of a single dose, estimated to be 82% in this report, has also been demonstrated in phase III trials and recent observational studies. The estimated effectiveness found in this report is higher than estimates of single-dose effectiveness found in the Pfizer-BioNTech clinical trial (efficacy 52%; 95% CI = 30%–68%) (3) and an observational study from Israel (5). In the Israeli study, the Pfizer-BioNTech VE against symptomatic illness among the general adult population was 57% (95% CI = 50%–63%) and 66% (95% CI = 57%–73%) measured during 14–20 and 21–27 days, respectively, after the first dose (5). 

It probably makes the most sense for them to start vaccinating 4M people than to fully vaccinate 2M people, but they should be really clear with this BEFORE people sign up or make payments or they'll be setting themselves up for a big headache (i.e. angry people demanding their 2nd dose).

Edited by asiacurious

56 minutes ago, wombat said:

Curious asks...for what?

Adverse reactions or death...one Thai family recently got a B400k payout after the father died after getting vaccinated. I don't know if it was vaccine related or it's more like life insurance...if you die within a set period after vaccination automatic payout.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Four million in October, one million at the start of next year and the rest in stages after that.

Wow - one would be forgiven for assuming that Thailand was very late to the Vaccine ordering party!

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Lets hope the price does not change, as it has already gone up since the initial announcement.  Planning on using my local private hospital for a vaccination now instead of the ridiculous Government apps and websites that keep being locked off or better yet just canceled.

If there is even the slightest sniff of a chance for someone to pocket an extra creamy bit it will happen ... private testing is the same ... Huge profiteering going on and defenders saying the prices are in line with global pricing ... trying to compare Thailand costs to global costs . Thailand pays buttons by global standards but maximizes profit for the few .Now they are wrecking any chance of the Sandbox Proposal being a success with insistence on 3 covid tests during the first 14 days at 3000/3500 each ... oh.. but that price is in line with ....yeah yeah ... we know .

4 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

For me, much cheaper than a flight Stateside for two "free" jabs.

Its really quite cheap but then again it isn't actually here yet either , October may well turn out to be next year etc etc... Been here long enough to know that until you see the goods it's all just words and empty promises . If you can survive without returning to the States until a miracle occurs good on you .

• Like 2

Did you all not read this?

“It will cost 1,900 baht per jab meaning that two will cost 3,800 baht.

This price includes the vaccine, hospital charges and insurance.”

Insurance?  Insurance for WHAT?  We already are forced to have Covid Insurance required by the Government for our VISA.  What is this insurance paying for? The fact that we may get sick and DIE if the private hospitals screw up giving us the Vaccine? To pay for our long term medical care?  Or is it to pay for their MALPRACTICE Insurance in giving out the vaccine? 

I’d love to hear ANY HOSPITAL’S response to that question 

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Most people will just opt for another vaccine if available sooner, most likely Astrazeneca by the sounds of it

I'm debating this. I have a appointment for the 28th of June with the village Dr.

I requested AZ 555 !   It has been reported that the second shot of AZ will be given sixteen weeks after the first shot ! That will bring my second shot almost to November!

It might be advantageous to wait for the October Moderna  first shot and the second shot in November especially knowing the M vacc  has a better efficacy rating !

• Like 1

QUOTE:

"Director of Thonburi Hospital Dr Wachirabun Sasatrawuji said that a million people had registered to have the vaccine of their choice. "

Is this comment connected to the headline which is about Moderna?

Or is it a a general comment encompassing both Thai and farang who have registered on numerous apps and at numerous medical institutes etc?

1 hour ago, barney42bb said:

"Thai Rak Thai eh"???.... Even Arthur Daley had scruples.

Free in The UK....Even for the folk that shouldn't be there coming across in Dinghies.

Ahh those damn dinghy guys eh , really a threat to The narrow minded peoples front of the United Kingdom of far right wingers isn't it , similar to those pesky Normans invading or maybe the Vikings , how dare they try to get into the land of milk and honey and steal our women and jobs , fill up our schools , speak those silly foreign languages , steal from our national health services ... Long live the British Empire I say . 

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

These will arrive according to a schedule. Four million in October, one million at the start of next year and the rest in stages after that.

Well there were a bit late out of the starting gate.

Guess this is the best they could get.

25 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Has anybody noticed whether Thai folks can get this vaccine at one of the private hospitals in this grouping?

Expecting of course that it cost the same price as farang. 

The news is for Thai folks. What makes you think its for foreigners? 

7 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Never get to excited, in the land of u-turns. 

I for one would be prepared to trust the private hospital statement, against the statement of a Jackass.????

14 minutes ago, Mister MXYZPTLK said:

Did you all not read this?

“It will cost 1,900 baht per jab meaning that two will cost 3,800 baht.

This price includes the vaccine, hospital charges and insurance.”

Insurance?  Insurance for WHAT?  We already are forced to have Covid Insurance required by the Government for our VISA.  What is this insurance paying for? The fact that we may get sick and DIE if the private hospitals screw up giving us the Vaccine? To pay for our long term medical care?  Or is it to pay for their MALPRACTICE Insurance in giving out the vaccine? 

I’d love to hear ANY HOSPITAL’S response to that question 

Are you a tourist? 

Thais and foreigners on long term visas are not forced to get insurance 

• Like 1