Thai PM apologises as many vaccination appointments postponed

webfact

*Deleted post edited out*

You mean like government stats which show the deaths for 2020 were 13.9% higher than the year before? 

Here - those government stats you mentioned (Deaths for England and Wales).

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths

Raw statistic for England and wales (excel version is in the link). 

Deaths per year: 2015-2019 = 359,083

Deaths in 2020 = 614,144 - which is an increase of 75,031 people / 13.91% 

Deaths in 2021 (so far until the end of May) are down by 9% on last year, but still up by 10% compared to the average from 2015-2019.

I too was not convinced by the severity of Covid-19 until I saw the raw stats in the middle of last year - the raw stats are damning evidence of the severity of Covid-19, the overwhelming need for a reliable vaccine. 

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, sandyf said:

What is pathetic is thinking there has been a vaccine supermarket for the last year, open to everyone 24 hours with BOGOF.

For obvious reasons I will not go into details of why I think it was done. Clearly though the initial total reliance on SB ( who had no experience in producing vaccines ) was a huge blunder. Do you disagree ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

For obvious reasons I will not go into details of why I think it was done. Clearly though the initial total reliance on SB ( who had no experience in producing vaccines ) was a huge blunder. Do you disagree ?

If Thailand made a mistake at all, it was indeed making an agreement with a company that couldn't be trusted to deliver.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and it may well have been better for Thailand to have come to an agreement with Sinovac last October. The vaccinations would have started in January and everyone would be happily vaccinated by now, or would they be?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sandyf said:

If Thailand made a mistake at all, it was indeed making an agreement with a company that couldn't be trusted to deliver.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and it may well have been better for Thailand to have come to an agreement with Sinovac last October. The vaccinations would have started in January and everyone would be happily vaccinated by now, or would they be?

Why the assumption that AZ is the reason for the delay rather than SB ?

14 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Why the assumption that AZ is the reason for the delay rather than SB ?

Thailand placed the orders and made the technology transfer agreement with Astrazeneca, not with Siam Bioscience. Responsibility for delivery lay with AZ.

I saw Matt Hancock in front of the select committee yesterday. He said Astrazeneca was the UK's second choice to team up with Oxford uni, the first choice refused to agree to the UK's delivery demands and was kicked into touch. He didn't name the company concerned.