At what age did you actually start feeling old?

seancbk

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The problem for us men is when 14-15 year olds dress up and look 18 without telling us. Some well known men went to jail for getting caught in that trap.

There's nothing more cleverly dangerous than a true vixen.

• Thanks 1

I'm 64.  Mental wise I still feel young.  But I do see changes in my skin, hair, etc.  Wounds take longer to heal.  My skin tears easier now.  Get more body aches.  But I can still do anything I want.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess all the old farts move out of Bangkok to the boonies. No wonder you feel comfortable in that company.

Personally I prefer to stay with the young people in Bangkok. ???? 

I love it in Bangkok.  I wouldn't move because I have to many friends here, and moving to the boonies would mean being too far to able to spend any time with them.

My Thai friends range in age from early 20's to mid 30's and my farang friends from mid 30's to slightly older than me.  Unfortunately all my actual friends are guys.  I don't consider any of the Thai women I've met to be real friends and the very very few western women I met her have all left or are married so I rarely see them anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kinnock said:

They are great fun and good excercise too.  Low impact compared to running (unless you fall ????) and they help with balance and agility.  I can put on my trousers without falling over now ????.

Yes, bought it here, and then my wife wanted one, so now we skate together.

I started with a cheap Chinese one from a skateboard shop - it was OK to learn on, and I see Supersports now stocks them.

Then I ordered a Yow Malibu - nice and long which suits my height, and it's more stable if you hit a bump.

And surfskating has toned my wife's legs too!

2021-06-10_12-46-04.thumb.jpg.dee9cda14892a4035be16a7c70d60778.jpg

Fantastic thanks!   I've not been to Mega Bangna in a while, my next question was where do you skate, but that pic answers that question!

Last Sunday I was round at a friends house and one of their kids wanted to show me their new trampoline.  I hadn't been on one for a long time but it was great fun, just a little small so with the little kid in there I didn't think it was safe to try doing any flips.  But just seeing how high I could bounce was a blast!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

here is truth in that old saying, "your only as old as those you feel"

The correct expression is:- "You are only as old as the woman you feel". However yours is more gender neutral! 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

When I moved to NYC in the 1980's, a rather beautiful woman I had befriended looked at me and said "when are you going to remove that horrendous thing from your face?" I said huh? She said do you plan on dating? I said yes of course, I am divorced and single again. She said do you plan on sleeping with these women you date? I said of course. She said it is not going to happen with that terrible thing on your face. Not here, not now. I shaved the next morning! 

Are you sure she was referring to your beard? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Fantastic thanks!   I've not been to Mega Bangna in a while, my next question was where do you skate, but that pic answers that question!

Both Supersports and, oddly, B2S in Mega Bangna have the low cost surfskates.

Unfortunately the skateboard area in Mega is currently closed due to COVID.

Central Village near the airport is open, plus I use the 'green' cycle path that runs between Lumpini and Benjakitti Parks.

And Bangsaen has many good places.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seancbk said:

I do not get beards and my father had one all my life so the only time I saw him without one was pictures of him in his 20's

I really don't get these hipster types who seem to want to look like a sodding old lumberjack when they are only in their 20's and 30's  

Why anyone would do anything that makes them look older is beyond me!

You may get to understand beards are time and labor-saving devices.

I have a short nautical-style beard, shave the rest three times a week.

Why anyone would want to shave every day is beyond me.

• Like 1

I  look  way  younger than I am  full head o  hair but in the last 18  months ive really  noticed a  change, Im 58 in 4  months, things are  getting harder to do, stiffer  less  flexible, seem more  sleepy, eyesights  gone to krap  in the last 5  years.

2 hours ago, Kinnock said:

(And how do Thai girls wear nothing but a towel without it falling off?)

Most are slim or small enough to be able to make a full foldover with the towel.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, connda said:

There's a lot to be said for taking full retirement early.
I left the rat-race at 55.  It was the best move in my life. 
I had another really good 10 years of living.  I see others working until they are 65 or beyond.  Like my dad.  Worked into his 70.  Took retirement, bought snow-bird house in Tucson, bought a new car and other stuff for retirement - died two months later. 
I took the last chunk of the best years of my life and had fun and enjoyed.  Now I'm very happy with a quiet live out in the sticks with little or no drama. 

I'm  glad  I  quit at 42 then just did a  bit  in the summertime and came here  in the winters.

In the working years though I did work  like a dog  well over 12  hours a  day to save for this.

Spent the last 10  years working on our  land and garden projects.

• Like 2

This will make many gag but dating women your age or in my case a few years older might help.  Trick is finding an older woman that makes you happier than a younger lady.  Nearly an impossible task here in Thailand and honestly I just stumbled into it.  She is wise, kind and beautiful beyond belief.  Young women just make me feel old or worse make me old.   I'm sure there are many younger women exceptions but for me that ship has sailed.

Writing the above is definitely a sign of aging.  My young self would have laughed incessantly at me finding a 57 yo old woman the sexiest thing on earth.  Hell, a couple years back the thought would just have been insane.

As for feeling old, it will happen but not as of yet.  Still capable of beating my running PR's of 5 years ago and want to break 2:44 this year for a marathon.  Probably won't happen but fun goals are part of staying young.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The whole "beards are suddenly hip thing" is beyond bizarre. I get it if you are an Oregon lumberjack. But, otherwise? 

I was a Washington State lumberjack back in the day.  Never had a beard.  In fact, I don't remember anybody with a beard on the slack-line crews. 
Beards, tats, piercings.  They are about expressing your individuality right?  How are you expressing individuality when everyone else your age is growing a beard to show their uniqueness.  <laughs>
I stay clean shaven and dress business casual when I'm out.  Run around the house half-naked.  I course I have had my moments when I dress in shorts, shirtless, and walked around Chiang Mai to troll the moralistic farangs in the community.  That's unique.
"Your not respecting Thai culture!!!"
Real Thai culture was cotton pants or a towel around your waist and shirtless up until 1942.  Women too.  <laughs>
Now to think of it.....Mercilessly poking fun at the status quo - that's what keeps me young at heart.  <laughs>

• Like 2

First time when I felt old I was 23. I was chatting with a girl about 17-18. She said...you know, you'd be cute if you weren't so old.

At 28 I attended a university party (I was just finishing, I started late). Lots of young people I couldn't relate to. It wasn't age it was their clique and culture.

At 45 my eyes went. My eye sight was always keen. It was the first time I personally felt old.

Having married a woman 15 years my junior keeps me young and active.

Working with teens and the hustle and chaos of school keep me young.

Travel keeps me young.

I don't so much ever feel old but I do look back and reflect on the fact 2/3 of my life is gone and I probably have at best 20++ years of reasonably good health.

When I'm dressed well I still catch women's eye/s half my age or more on occasion (MRT/BTS).

But I'm <deleted> old 5555

Edited by kynikoi
  • Like 1

Test:    I've done it, and FAILED.

Thailand has many places to play football.  Kids play all the time.  Play with them.    

After a few minutes you will understand this "speed" is way over your head.  Their dexterity is leaps above yours, and your age will show when your ankles break, back collapses, legs give up, and heart explodes.   hahahhahahahahahha

well, at least that happened to me.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, connda said:

I was a Washington State lumberjack back in the day.  Never had a beard.  In fact, I don't remember anybody with a beard on the slack-line crews. 
Beards, tats, piercings.  They are about expressing your individuality right?  How are you expressing individuality when everyone else your age is growing a beard to show their uniqueness.  <laughs>
I stay clean shaven and dress business casual when I'm out.  Run around the house half-naked.  I course I have had my moments when I dress in shorts, shirtless, and walked around Chiang Mai to troll the moralistic farangs in the community.  That's unique.
"Your not respecting Thai culture!!!"
Real Thai culture was cotton pants or a towel around your waist and shirtless up until 1942.  Women too.  <laughs>
Now to think of it.....Mercilessly poking fun at the status quo - that's what keeps me young at heart.  <laughs>

A very good point about the tats and the beards. It is kind of a dress by numbers routine, if you ask me. I want so badly to be a hipster. Oh a beard, some tats, boots, or sneakers, the right jeans and a black tee shirt. There you go. Check me out, can you believe how hip and unique I am?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

Are you sure she was referring to your beard? 

Yeah, she pointed right at my beard, with this look of disgust on her face. I am not much of a follower, but when a beautiful woman offers to show you what works in a new environment (I had just moved to NYC, as an adult, as I lived there as a kid), to help you attract chicks and get some action, only a fool says no to that. 

Beards may be hip and acceptable now, but back then, especially in NYC, they were ridiculous. The same day I shaved it off, the reaction from woman was night and day. It worked. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I hope you turned around to her and said I hope you shave it too. No fun looking at a bearded taco.

I hear that bearded tacos are back in style in some circles nowadays.  Of course, personally I'm just happy as a clam to have an occasional taco salad of any style on my menu.  ????

1 minute ago, connda said:

I hear that bearded tacos are back in style in some circles nowadays.  Of course, personally I'm just happy as a clam to have an occasional taco salad of any style on my menu.  ????

Extra helping of salad cream on mine please!

• Haha 1

I retired at 62 so that I could do all of the things I wanted (Thailand holidays, travel Oz in a caravan) to do before I got old. The body gradually slowed but could do what I needed so it was only a matter of getting old. Then one day when I was 70 I realised I could not do the things I could when 68. It was then that I was old, not just getting old.

3 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

I retired at 62 so that I could do all of the things I wanted (Thailand holidays, travel Oz in a caravan) to do before I got old. The body gradually slowed but could do what I needed so it was only a matter of getting old. Then one day when I was 70 I realised I could not do the things I could when 68. It was then that I was old, not just getting old.

I too felt old at 70. I recall three Japanese girls walking past me down hill from Monk's trail in CM. Having never been passed by a female was a new experience. Since then I stopped competing altogether. In the last two years it has taken a while to adjust to my new reality.

• Like 1