Thailand reports 2,290 COVID-19 cases, 27 new deaths

webfact

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

My money is more on the fact that the Thai’s aren’t testing enough to find what’s there.

If people show symptoms or have had contact with the infected they are tested.

Or are you saying that random people showing no symptoms should line up and get tested? 

Have you been tested? If not, why not?

48 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Not likely. 
English variant? Got to get that daily dose of hate in eh. 

No, I just bothered to actually read the link provided which revealed..

found 3,703 cases of the Alpha (UK) variant (88.48%) and 348 Delta cases (8.32%).

sorry if you took it the wrong way. Burying your head in the sand won't help the situation.

Where are you from?

State quarantine will not be provided from July 1 unless ordered otherwise by the prime minister.

Free quarantine stay to be cancelled from July 1

People visiting Thailand or returning home will have to pay for their quarantine, because the government will soon stop supplying free accommodation, the Office of the National Security Council (ONSC) announced on Friday.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001920

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

State quarantine will not be provided from July 1 unless ordered otherwise by the prime minister.

Free quarantine stay to be cancelled from July 1

People visiting Thailand or returning home will have to pay for their quarantine, because the government will soon stop supplying free accommodation, the Office of the National Security Council (ONSC) announced on Friday.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001920

Aust has been doing same since the start last year.

54 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I'm getting a real sense of complacency here, why pick the magic number of 10% before taking it seriously and closing down the area to clean, this is community spread and needs to be jumped on quickly.

BMA launches proactive tests in Bang Rak area

On Friday, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) began testing Thai nationals living or working in Soi Lalai Sap (Silom Soi 5) in Bangkok’s Bang Rak district after 13 Covid-19 cases were discovered in the area.

Prasart Bodhisrimat, assistant director of the Bang Rak District Office, said the aim was to conduct swab tests on 1,000 Thai nationals, such as retailers and office workers.

He added that the area will be closed until Saturday.

It may be closed for another three days for disinfection if 10 per cent or 100 people tested in the area are found to be infected,” he said.

BMA launches proactive tests in Bang Rak area

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001919

The 10% figure is a strange one. That is quite a high figure to be comfortable with, or at least if it comes in at 99 people. Countries with a rigorous response would close and disinfect immediately, and if less rigorous, I would have thought anything close to 3% positivity would ring alarm bells.

perhaps they have been seeing such high positivity rates in prisons, factories, worker camps, that 10% now  seems low. But I don’t think that it is personally.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Aust has been doing same since the start last year.

errrh ok? I never knew Australia even provided free quarantine for returning travellers last year. The UK certainly never has. I think Thailand has been one of the few that ever did that up till now of course as its obviously costing them too much

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

errrh ok? I never knew they even provided free quarantine for returning travellers last year. The UK certainly never has. I think Thailand has been one of the few that ever did that up till now of course as its obviously costing them too much

Sorry Brian. It was free in Oz when first introduced.Been 60k baht.for 12months approx now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Sorry Brian. It was free in Oz when first introduced.Been 60k baht.for 12months approx now.

No need to be sorry I never knew it had ever been free there. That was good of them though while it lasted

17 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The UK certainly never has.

Perhaps about 15 months ago those being brought back from Wuhan were put up for free quarantine... for all the good it did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, polpott said:

Thanks for your daily dose of nonsensical Brit bashing (no such thing as the "English variant" it was the UK variant

Gee, a lot of oversensitive Brits here. I don't hear the Indians or South Africans complaining. You have to harden up and just face the reality.

I am not sure where you live, but I actually live in Thailand and in Thailand it is known as the English variant.  

I hear it everyday on the morning and evening news, unsurprisingly it is talked about endlessly as it is the strain killing hundreds of Thais.

If it doesn't suit your narrative, no use complaining to me, complain to the Thai news broadcasters.

eg.

https://www.posttoday.com/social/general/655122

They ain't calling it the "UK" variant, they are calling it the English variant, or English strain. As if it matters in the slightest anyway. People are dying and you are carrying on about a name?

If you can't read or understand Thai language maybe you could ask a Thai friend to read the link I kindly provided.

Interestingly Vicoria had an outbreak (got up to 70+cases) locked down for 2 weeks and today zero community transmissions from a very low 17,000 tests. The high was around 54,000 tests in a day. >600,000 tests in a couple of wks. This is what circuit breakers do. Thailand did not do this. When the Thong Lor outbraek was discovered and before Songkran travel was allowed to go ahead numbers here were 'reportedly' in the 90's.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If people show symptoms and don't go in for a test how do they get tested?If people come in contact with people who are infected but haven't been tested how do you know if they are infected?There have been many that I have seen with symptoms who were never tested including myself.Not easy to get tested where I live.Not easy for people who are poor to volunteer to get locked up for 2 weeks if they test positive.I was once in a hospital sneezing my head off in the height of the original wave and didn't get tested.

They were rapid testing everyone entering Phuket a few weeks ago. Many members of this forum were up in arms about it. 

I have a Thai mate who showed symptoms last week, he was tested almost immediately (but fortunately came up positive)

Nowhere in the West are they dragging people off the street to be tested. Why should the Thais do it? 

The people calling for more Thais to be tested should go and get tested themselves if they feel so strongly about it.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Interestingly Vicoria had an outbreak (got up to 70+cases) locked down for 2 weeks and today zero community transmissions from a very low 17,000 tests. The high was around 54,000 tests in a day. >600,000 tests in a couple of wks. This is what circuit breakers do. Thailand did not do this. When the Thong Lor outbraek was discovered and before Songkran travel was allowed to go ahead numbers here were 'reportedly' in the 90's.

You should realize tho that Oz. specially victorians have been so brainwashed by government they think" the end is nigh.!" 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Petey11 said:

In the UK I myself have tested 3 times.

The death rate in the UK from Covid is 900 times higher. 

Not double, not ten times, not one hundred times, but 900 times. 

Or more simply 127,867 deaths versus 1,402. 

Why so many Brits are so critical of the Thai response but want to talk up the Brit response I find very odd.

And given the fact that Thailand is now suffering from what is commonly referred to as the English strain it becomes farcical IMO.

A 46-year-old woman who died hours after receiving her first AstraZeneca vaccination on Tuesday succumbed to a heart attack, according to autopsy results released on Friday.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001928

Edited by anchadian

15 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

They were rapid testing everyone entering Phuket a few weeks ago. Many members of this forum were up in arms about it. 

I have a Thai mate who showed symptoms last week, he was tested almost immediately (but fortunately came up positive)

Nowhere in the West are they dragging people off the street to be tested. Why should the Thais do it? 

The people calling for more Thais to be tested should go and get tested themselves if they feel so strongly about it.

What a stupid comment. Whose talking about being dragged off the street (CCP should not be included). People in the west as you say are asked if they have the mildest of symtoms to go and get tested and people do. Testing is one of the keys to finding the virus and stopping the spread. The only way numbers in the near future will go down will be in corrolation to testing going down otherwise there is no end in sight. Vaccines should help but this virus is amazing. Never seen before in nature I would think.  

• Like 2