Thailand reports 2,290 COVID-19 cases, 27 new deaths

webfact

2 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

With mates like you who needs enemies eh?

Even though he came up negative he wasn't confident of the diagnosis and self isolated for 14 days. 

Only 27 years old. Very responsible, not me, me, me, I want,I want,I want like in some other countries.

Good person.

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

Testing is one of the keys to finding the virus and stopping the spread.

The reality doesn't agree with your assumption. If that were the case the numbers in for example the US and UK should be very low. But they are through the roof.

The Thais have been smarter the way they have been testing. Let's not forget they were the first country in the world to test and find a case back in January 2020, well before Italy, the UK or the USA even had tests. 

The Thais were lulled into a sense of security from there success but have been caught on the back foot with this nasty UK/British/English strain unfortunately.

But the numbers are proving they have handled it far better than the nightmare that unfolded in the UK whose worst single day with the B117 strain was over 1,800 dead, a number that the Thais have avoided for the total time of this pandemic. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

They were rapid testing everyone entering Phuket a few weeks ago. Many members of this forum were up in arms about it. 

I have a Thai mate who showed symptoms last week, he was tested almost immediately (but fortunately came up positive)

Nowhere in the West are they dragging people off the street to be tested. Why should the Thais do it? 

The people calling for more Thais to be tested should go and get tested themselves if they feel so strongly about it.

Nobody is saying only test Thai's and nobody is saying drag people off the street. 

Random testing is key to finding out what proportion of the population have the virus. Thats fact. Its used as a key tool to decide what measures need to be taken. The Uk and many other countries suffered badly but would have been far worse without it. 

You are arguing against science here.

• Like 1

Just now, RobMuir said:

The reality doesn't agree with your assumption. If that were the case the numbers in for example the US and UK should be very low. But they are through the roof.

The Thais have been smarter the way they have been testing. Let's not forget they were the first country in the world to test and find a case back in January 2020, well before Italy, the UK or the USA even had tests. 

The Thais were lulled into a sense of security from there success but have been caught on the back foot with this nasty UK/British/English strain unfortunately.

But the numbers are proving they have handled it far better than the nightmare that unfolded in the UK whose worst single day with the B117 strain was over 1,800 dead, a number that the Thais have avoided for the total time of this pandemic. 

Sure test little, find little, numbers look good. Thailand did this last year and many bought into the farce, it would seem you included. They're still doing it. Yesterday there were 7 deaths in the UK. Here there were 43. Again we all know how many countries mishandled this in the beginning but now is now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

errrh ok? I never knew Australia even provided free quarantine for returning travellers last year. The UK certainly never has. I think Thailand has been one of the few that ever did that up till now of course as its obviously costing them too much

Myself and my family were quarantined for free in Australia last year. It was absolutely amazing. We had a 2 bedroom suite with multiple balconies  in a 5 star hotel overlooking the harbour. 3 fantastic meals per day with more than enough food. Activity packs for the kids everyday. It was truly amazing.

They stopped doing it for free a few weeks after we got back. And fair enough too....I actuallly felt really guilty because the quarantine was so exceptional. 

To be honest I do think that after a certain period of time (when everyone has had a reasonable chance to get back) they should make people pay.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Truth tho. Thats why30k still not back home.

Yes, the Oz government have effectively locked us out. The Thai government were sending planes to save their people from the danger.

And we will be locked out, and the people there now locked in until the next election. 

The Happy Clapping Marketing Man believes it is a vote winner.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Mmmmm1 This is a tough one. Let's think about it. Maybe if you test more you find more. Funny I'm fairly sure I have have heard this idea for around 15 months.

Just now, RobMuir said:

Yes, the Oz government have effectively locked us out. The Thai government were sending planes to save their people from the danger.

And we will be locked out, and the people there now locked in until the next election. 

The Happy Clapping Marketing Man believes it is a vote winner.

Happy Clapper indeed. 

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

Gee, a lot of oversensitive Brits here. I don't hear the Indians or South Africans complaining. You have to harden up and just face the reality.

I am not sure where you live, but I actually live in Thailand and in Thailand it is known as the English variant.  

I hear it everyday on the morning and evening news, unsurprisingly it is talked about endlessly as it is the strain killing hundreds of Thais.

If it doesn't suit your narrative, no use complaining to me, complain to the Thai news broadcasters.

eg.

https://www.posttoday.com/social/general/655122

They ain't calling it the "UK" variant, they are calling it the English variant, or English strain. As if it matters in the slightest anyway. People are dying and you are carrying on about a name?

If you can't read or understand Thai language maybe you could ask a Thai friend to read the link I kindly provided.

What planet are you living on not to of heard the Chinese and Indians complaining vehemently about naming the Covid strains after their countries? The UK never complained as far as I am aware.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Even though he came up negative he wasn't confident of the diagnosis and self isolated for 14 days. 

Only 27 years old. Very responsible, not me, me, me, I want,I want,I want like in some other countries.

Good person.

Stockholm Syndrome

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

The death rate in the UK from Covid is 900 times higher. 

Not double, not ten times, not one hundred times, but 900 times. 

Or more simply 127,867 deaths versus 1,402. 

Why so many Brits are so critical of the Thai response but want to talk up the Brit response I find very odd.

And given the fact that Thailand is now suffering from what is commonly referred to as the English strain it becomes farcical IMO.

Only you are referring to it as the "English strain". In the UK its referred to as the Kent strain and has virtually died out.

Today in the UK, 1 Covid death, Thailand 43.

Edited by polpott

35 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

If the Thai government tested the same amount of people that the UK have been testing do you honestly think the numbers of reported cases in Thailand would be the same as they are now?

You will of course answer that there would be more deaths. Well show me the excess death numbers for Thailand...oh that’s right, they don’t exist for the last couple of years do they? Hmm they exist for every other year but just not the last couple. How very odd.

If 20 people per province died of Covid per day then it would be circa 1,400 deaths per day in Thailand. Barley noticeable at the provincial level but starkly obvious at the national level...IF numbers were being collated and reported, which they strangely are not (dead is dead, it’s very black and white, it’s not hard to count).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If 17 of the 29 deaths are related to the vaccine after so few vaccines have been administered then that seems to to me to be unusually high compared to Oz which has had 2 deaths and have both countries have administered similar numbers of vaccines.

You’re not comparing apples with apples. The two Aussie deaths were caused by the vaccine as global data will show - about 1 in 250,000 from AZ (one I had x2), which is less than people dying from thrombosis after flying (as one of my friends did in his early 50s). 

The Thai deaths were accompanied by the vaccine and they stated  most were not caused by the vaccine, eg heart attacks afterwards. Old people will die on us - vaccinated or not. 

8 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Less than 9% of cases.

The English variant still making up 88% of detected cases and killing hundreds of Thais.

I wonder if you can be infected with both variants simultaneously?

The Indian strain has become the dominant strain in the UK now. It is estimated to be 40% more transmissible than the UK strain. So it's something to be wary of. Most infections are among the unvaccinated, and more younger people are getting infected, though their symptoms are more like the common cold. I would expect the same to happen here. But let's hope not!

12 minutes ago, polpott said:

Only you are referring to it as the "English strain". 

Not true. In Thailand it is called the English strain. I live in Thailand, that is what we call it over here. Newspapers, TV, online it is called the English strain.

I sent you a link where the Thais are calling it the English strain, I could send you another hundred the same. 

At least look at the link I sent you before you argue. 

Pretty sure I can guess your nationality.

4 minutes ago, DavisH said:

The Indian strain has become the dominant strain in the UK now. It is estimated to be 40% more transmissible than the UK strain. So it's something to be wary of. Most infections are among the unvaccinated, and more younger people are getting infected, though their symptoms are more like the common cold. I would expect the same to happen here. But let's hope not!

What about historical numbers, not just current. I assume there have been greater numbers of English strain in the UK than the Indian strain?

15 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

If 20 people per province died of Covid per day then it would be circa 1,400 deaths per day in Thailand. Barley noticeable at the provincial level.

If 1,400 people were dying per day from breathing difficulties, or 50,000 people per month for sure Thai social media would be showing it. Covid death isn't just quietly dying in your sleep.

To believe otherwise is completely nuts. Sounds to me that you have zero knowledge of how Thais socially interact if you believe such absurd nonsense. A million funerals where it was covered up?

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Yep. That's bad but has nothing to do with your previous post. Many thigs Aus could have done a lot better.

Got everything to do with previous.There is no appetite from voters to raise a racket about stranded citizens because they have been scared titless  by the current gov in the quest for re election. To be fair tho you can’t  be  expected to understand everything.!

24 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The Social Security Office has suspended vaccination services at 45 centres in Bangkok, from today (Friday) until June 27th, after four days in operation, for improvements of services

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/social-security-offices-45-vaccination-sites-in-bangkok-temporarily-closed/

A good system would only have people queuing for maybe 10-15m, not long periods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

Not true. In Thailand it is called the English strain. I live in Thailand, that is what we call it over here. Newspapers, TV, online it is called the English strain.

I sent you a link where the Thais are calling it the English strain, I could send you another hundred the same. 

At least look at the link I sent you before you argue. 

Pretty sure I can guess your nationality.

Yes, please post another link.

Will the other embassies arrange a meeting with Mr Anutin after he held a meeting with the French and Belgium ambassadors this morning?

10,000 doses of the single dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine will be imported for French nationals aged 45+ residing in #Thailand , with delivery expected in late June, according to Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul today (Friday). #JohnsonJohnson #ThailandNews

https://twitter.com/ThaiPBSWorld/status/1403305030921322497

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

If 1,400 people were dying per day from breathing difficulties, or 50,000 people per month for sure Thai social media would be showing it. Covid death isn't just quietly dying in your sleep.

To believe otherwise is completely nuts. Sounds to me that you have zero knowledge of how Thais socially interact if you believe such absurd nonsense. A million funerals where it was covered up?

How did you get to a million funerals? Where are the pictures of overflowing morgues in the UK?

• Like 1

More clusters of COVID-19 infections have emerged in Bangkok and elsewhere, as new infections in Thailand increased by 2,290 today (Friday), according to the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA). 27 more deaths were also reported. https://thaip.bs/8ub8pJn

Edited by anchadian