Ambassadors Seek COVID-19 Vaccinations for Their Citizens

snoop1130

I read / hear that the Russians, Chinese and now French and Belgians are organising Vaccinations for their citizens: great for them.  Would be wonderful to hear what the Australian Government has planned for its citizens around the world.  Vaccination in situ would surely lesson the risk of returning Australians importing the virus.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uroller said:

I hope somebody is tracking that US$30 million Covid related assistance, who knows where that will end up????

Oh I am sure it will go to some very good people - sorry I meant causes - and no doubt inspire some very imaginative creative accounting...

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I wrote a couple of emails to the U.S. Embassy & ACS in the past week after Sherman's visit urging them to follow the Chinese example with conditioning vaccine donations/aid on the government agreeing to use a portion for unvaccinated U.S. expats here.

Didn't even get a courtesy response to either email.  So the Embassy folks are keeping up their good form!  ????

I didn't even bother this time, because I got the silent treatment back when the income letters were cancelled. So, I say, good for the French and France. I am happy more people will get vaccinated who need it. And, since I did manage to get a Sinovac shot through my last university employer, I can also say thank you to China. Your vaccine diplomacy has worked on me. You were there when my country was not. You helped me when the US government was silent and dismissive. This is a life or death situation with vaccines. My chances of living were improved because of Chinese help. So, thanks and hurrah to China. Go to hell, Biden and America.

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

As seems to be usual of late for the US.

Can't imagine this helped any..........

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-fires-us-ambassadors-no-replacements-a7538256.html

Shortly after Donald Trump was sworn into office as the 45th President of the United States, all foreign ambassadors were fired and with no concrete replacement ambassadors lined up.

Mr Trump had demanded that every ambassador in countries all over the world, who had been appointed by former President Barack Obama, were told to leave their offices by midday on 20 January and with no grace period.

• Like 2

I'm a 67 year old Brit retired in Thailand and personally i don't give a toss about the vaccine. I am registered, if they offer it that's fine, if not that's fine. The way i look at it is if everyone around me has been vaccinated then i have nothing to worry about????????

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If this starts a trend then one thing is a given.

The Australian ambassador will not give a Yelp. 

I fear the same might apply to the UK. They send me periodic updates re the Covid situation and vaccination programme but they stress that they are not going to have anything to do with the acquisition of distribution of the actual vaccines. Basically, you have to stand in line (at the back of the queue?) and do as the Thai Government tell you!

The current Prime Minister of UK, Boris Johnson, is currently writing a book about the WW2 Prime Minister Winston Churchill. I wonder if he's up to the chapter about the fall of Singapore and the fall of Hong Kong. All the expats were left high and dry. It's ironic don't you think; history repeating itself?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, rbkk said:

The current Prime Minister of UK, Boris Johnson, is currently writing a book about the WW2 Prime Minister Winston Churchill. I wonder if he's up to the chapter about the fall of Singapore and the fall of Hong Kong. All the expats were left high and dry. It's ironic don't you think; history repeating itself?

Cummings claimed Bunter took a week off at the start of the pandemic to get a chapter or two done..........that worked out well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If this starts a trend then one thing is a given.

The Australian ambassador will not give a Yelp. 

The Australian government donated over $60 Million AUD to Thailand for vaccine assistance.  I would like to think Thailand would assist Aussies here!  But I doubt it LOL.  

Australian government isn't interested in expat Aussies.  Current government is very protectionist and we are on the outside.  

26 minutes ago, rbkk said:

The ironies continue.........Andrew, a cousin of mine, wrote "Boris: The Rise of Boris Johnson." Another cousin fought at the fall of Singapore and was interned at Death Railway ( He drew sketches of the conditions.) and another cousin was interned at Stanley Prisoner camp in Hong Kong. He was a governor of Hong kong and also Singapore.

35 minutes ago, John Drake said:

In addition to putting its citizens at risk of death, the US has humiliated itself because of its inaction. While other countries, especially China, appear quick and agile in dealing with the virus and vaccines, the pitiful, weak giant in DC looks inept. It hogs vaccines, while the rest of the world does without. It leaves its citizens to die, while China looks like the Great Power it is, able to protect not only its property and political interest but its people as well. Don't doubt for a minute that this is a message that is being read loud and clear all throughout Southeast and East Asia.

US definitely made lots of mistakes, but to put China up on the pedestal and revere it like you obviously do, is hypocritical.  Consider how this damned virus kicked off from the outset.  Overwhelming evidence linked to Wuhan lab and origin of the virus in China.  The cover ups and downplaying by China led to a very delayed response. 

China has an abhorrent history of killing its own people as well as the current genocide suspicions of minority Chinese citizens in concentration camps.  Not sure if you are part of the 'white monkey' virtue signaling propaganda parade being paid by CCP.  But you sound like it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, rbkk said:

Stanley Prisoner camp in Hong Kong.

Most horrendous thing I have ever read........the treatment of 25 or so soldiers after a SW radio was discovered......haunted me ever since......read it whilst in Hong Kong at the British Army Officers Mess.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, topcat333 said:

Don't be so quick to slam USA. They are donating "Free of any charges or Strings attached" 500 Million doses this month to 100 low income countries. Thailand included! I have no idea how they will determine who gets what but if the split it even that means 5M shots to Thailand.  

I wonder if HiSo Thais get the front of the queue ahead of the legitimately poor, to get the preferred vaccines donated from the US.  Hmmm, I,wonder.  

5 hours ago, topcat333 said:

Don't be so quick to slam USA. They are donating "Free of any charges or Strings attached" 500 Million doses this month to 100 low income countries. Thailand included! I have no idea how they will determine who gets what but if the split it even that means 5M shots to Thailand.  

Absent Covid, can you ever imagine this administration (or any other here) doing something like that? Even on a much smaller scale? 10 years ago Thailand was the 22nd largest economy in the world. Want to guess how much they gave to less fortunate nations?

No chance the British embassy will follow suit despite the UK having ordered enough vaccines for over 3 times the population.  They have zero interest in the large number of British expats in Thailand. The government freezes their pensions blocks them form the NHS for the first 6 months after they come back. 

Edited by Dogmatix

7 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

Well the UK wont even enquire about there expats. Even though most have paid National insurance all there working life and some will still be paying tax to the UK  government. I appreciate we have moved away for whatever reason but most have earned and payed for the right to assistance in a once in lifetime event. 

Indeed, I’m even paying higher rate tax while not availing my self of NHS etc. The time has come to be a little more ‘creative' in terms of reporting,I think and take a chance where you can get away with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

As seems to be usual of late for the US.

I think, it's pretty normal to have delays in the appointment of new ambassadors anytime there's a change of U.S. presidential administration. Because, those positions have to be confirmed by the U.S. Senate, along with all the higher level positions such as Cabinet members and such that would get higher priority.

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Would be interesting to track those 10,000 units to see if in fact they end up in the arms of Belgians.

you mean French, right  555

10,000 doses of Johnson & Johnson vaccine for inoculation with the French people who lived in Thailand.