Foreign retirees arrested for overstay after failing to pay 1 million baht rent on luxury Bangkok condo

webfact

5 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

There’s always something dubious or undisclosed for the ThaiVisa Sherlocks when farangs’

bad behaviors make the news. 

Or could it be simply Thai's lies that make them comment ?

• Like 2

These people may have plenty of money but suffer from a mental state a guy moved into my condo building while back nice enough I talked to him in the elevator or lobby a few times he had enough to take tuktuks and drink at rachapakihnai guesthouses  but after s few months he reportedly had paid his thai landlord nothing eventually the police came and dropped his goods in the carpark. 

A loon, from Canada

31 minutes ago, Robin said:

Room scam has reached the end.  Now looking for free flight back to their own country.  bet that they have no money for flight out if they are deported.  

I hope they are no from UK so its not my embassy that has to buy them a ticket home.

As a landlord in UK I feel sorry for their Thai landlord who has been taken for a ride.  With tenants like this, any attempt to be reasonable is only taken as a sigh of weakness and gulibility

The British embassy will no longer by tickets. They will liaise with family, or friends to come up with the money. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atpeace said:

Never seen this type. I see angry old men but most are nice enough.  I have have seen a few that are sincerely in financial trouble and this is sad.  We will all get old and hope to have planned well enough to do it semi-gracefully.

Moving in then defaulting on the rent for an expensive condo in their own country would be less than scrupulous.

But they went one further, they moved to another country, rented an expensive condo then didn't pay the rent.

What were they thinking? 

2 hours ago, Excel said:

So now 21 days of overstay is an arrestable offence for which you will be blacklisted according to this report.

It's certainly an arrestable offence, whether blacklisting just for 21 days overstay is possible may depend on the IB and, in this case, the other serious B1m circumstances.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

But they repeatedly refused to pay the rent until nearly one million in arrears had built up. They cited excuses like Covid, their age and human rights. 

They were told to move but refused. They were getting drunk and making trouble for other residents at the apartment. 

these are not good people.   walking stick, or not.    

would like to hear their life story..........this wasn't the first time they played this game.  

perhaps a village of 1,000 people saved to buy this...hoping the rent payments will help them all!!!!  one guy is hired to be in charge..

and then these people enter........and many lives are affected.    

who knows.   maybe a dragon was involved.  

Edited by Ventenio
  • Confused 2

58 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
1 hour ago, cocoonclub said:

There’s always something dubious or undisclosed for the ThaiVisa Sherlocks when farangs’

bad behaviors make the news. 

What makes you think these two were white?

Many foreigners use the word "farang" just to mean foreigners, not everyone is as literally accurate as you'd like them to be!

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

The way to deal with such repeated rent dodgers is to change the lock after several demands to pay rend were ignored, the owners would be in they full rights to do so...

But the hotel should have asked for the nights stay money when they booked in I pay daily.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

The British embassy will no longer by tickets. They will liaise with family, or friends to come up with the money. 

They never did buy tickets without a repayment agreement but if there is no family, as a last resort, the government will loan the money for tickets with very strict restrictions on the deportee when back in the UK.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:
48 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Cunning vinyl board Rose&Rees Thai landlord getting ripped off for a million this story has everything except much truth ????

Evidence? Or, is this your gut talking to you?

It's the lowest possible part of his gut talking.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robin said:

As a landlord in UK I feel sorry for their Thai landlord who has been taken for a ride.  With tenants like this, any attempt to be reasonable is only taken as a sigh of weakness and gulibility

UK stopping evictions hasn't helped landlords either mate. Luckily I have a good UK tenants, but landlords have lost millions

6 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

UK stopping evictions hasn't helped landlords either mate. Luckily I have a good UK tenants, but landlords have lost millions

It's a bad time for everyone, not just landlords.  If you rent out, you're running a business really, and you have to take the good with the bad.  What gets me is that you aren't even effected, but still seem to bemoan people not being evicted.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1

Just now, mommysboy said:

Well, they aint going to no luxury apartment now, but IDC will be free. I hope they'll survive- that place isn't fit for dogs.

It's a lot better than prison and the toilets and showers are spotless. The Africans clean them every day for the princely, one time only, payment of 100 Bt.

• Like 1

Just now, KarenBravo said:

It's a lot better than prison and the toilets and showers are spotless. The Africans clean them every day for the princely, one time only, payment of 100 Bt.

Maybe they've been upgraded, but I reckon you could be very wrong here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Maybe they've been upgraded, but I reckon you could be very wrong here.

Nope. I was in IDC in 2002. Many of the occupants had been held in prisons first as some immigration offices didn't have a lock-up. They all said that IDC was much better. Better food especially and a lot cleaner.

I speak from experience, do you? Or did you just visit someone in there where you have to stand two metres back from the cell and yell.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

They cited excuses like Covid, their age and human rights. 

This is the Karen-ish/Darren-ish approach. Going by these excuses, guessing their nationality should be easy peasy.

Guessing by elimination. Or extrapolation.

Edited by mvdf

3 hours ago, Andrew45 said:

Many old geezers like this around. They claim they are old and have no money and people should have sympathy for them. So they don't pay rent and walk out of restaurants with unpaid bills and bitch and whine about everything but in fact are shrewd high level narcissists  with no sense of responsibility and who care nothing about others.

Glad I don’t know any old geezerrs who behave this way.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

What gets me is that you aren't even effected, but still seem to bemoan people not being evicted

Last tenant destroyed my house virtually and never paid the rent - spent it all on drugs, takeaways and irrelevant junk.. Took me a year to do it up and nearly a year a way from the wife - so ,no , I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone not paying their rent when they have it but use it elsewhere. 

My rent is set as 80% rent and 20% house repairs/upgrades. The 80% is equal to the local authority house rent - so any claim will cover the rent if unemployed. The man in my house is a landscape gardener and handyman - he installs doors, floor, decking, drainage, etc, so the 20% saving for him is using some of the 20% as labour charge. In the 3 months he did lose his work, he simply claimed the 80% from benefits.

I will bemoan all non payers of rent they cannot afford - as well as bemoan all landlords setting ridiculous rent - rent I charge is actually 25% less than the lowest in my town as I wanted a quality tenant looking after my property - not so much the money.

• Like 1