Foreign retirees arrested for overstay after failing to pay 1 million baht rent on luxury Bangkok condo

webfact

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

1) The exchange rates are significantly better than they were 30 years back.

2) I'd expect my Thai family to care for me until I died, same as they would with any other family member.

If you're short of money, living in a Bangkok apartment and paying 100k/month rent probably isn't a good idea. Up in Chiang Mai, you can easily rent a 3 bedroom house for 10k/month. Retired people need to match there outgoings to their income, which is why I'm here.

Seems you do not read others posts. They lived here 20 years, not 30. The exchange rates then were not greatly different from now.

They were clearly very stupid renting a large city centre apartment. And everyone should be matching outgoings with income. But as I have stated in an earlier post, a year ago they appeared to have no financial problems. Something happened around about August which resulted in their cash disappearing, but we do not know what.

On 6/12/2021 at 9:21 AM, Andrew45 said:

Many old geezers like this around. They claim they are old and have no money and people should have sympathy for them. So they don't pay rent and walk out of restaurants with unpaid bills and bitch and whine about everything but in fact are shrewd high level narcissists  with no sense of responsibility and who care nothing about others.

On 6/12/2021 at 8:08 AM, webfact said:

They fled the hospital in their hospital clothes

Alzheimer .

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

1) The exchange rates are significantly better than they were 30 years back.

2) I'd expect my Thai family to care for me until I died, same as they would with any other family member.

If you're short of money, living in a Bangkok apartment and paying 100k/month rent probably isn't a good idea. Up in Chiang Mai, you can easily rent a 3 bedroom house for 10k/month. Retired people need to match there outgoings to their income, which is why I'm here.

If these old guys have run out of money, fair enough to ship them back to their home countries, no need to lock them up or make a media circus of the event, just take them to the airport and put them on a free flight to their origin.

I thought Thailand was supposed to respect the elderly?

It was twenty years back and the exchange rates back them were much more attractive.

• Like 2

I wonder how that went down.

Every month the rent was due and every month it wasn’t paid. You’d think the owner, obviously an astute fellow, would have caught on after the 3rd or 4th month.

Sounds like just a bogus foreigner bashing story. 

On 6/12/2021 at 9:53 AM, Excel said:

So now 21 days of overstay is an arrestable offence for which you will be blacklisted according to this report. Has the rules changed since this ?

https://thailandtravelessentials.com/thailand-overstay/#:~:text=For one day overstay in,of 1 year is applied.

Yes, if arrested and prosecuted, any period of overstay, up to a year can result in a 5 year ban. 

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2021 at 10:47 AM, spidermike007 said:

This story simply does not pass the smell test. A few things do not add up. First of all, 100,00 baht a month for a room? Yeah, right. Second, no Thai landlord would let a foreigner stay in their place for almost a year, without paying rent. It would never happen. They would have a multitude of remedies available to them.

So, as is often the case, there is far more going on here, than meets the eye.

agree, so many of these foreign arrest articles are just exagerrated or lies added to the story, some of it will be true, but the condo owner is just allowed to say whatever he wants, knowing there is no retaliaition, and the overstsay is probably horse manure, or they were in hospital at the time, they can falsely arrest someone for illegal entry, then you have to prove you entered legally with confirmation through the immigration system, so many of these stories are just psyops by isoc

Edited by humbug
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2021 at 6:01 PM, Charlie Halliday said:

Yet more farang giving the rest of us a bad name. As some on this board already pointed out, scum tend to always be scum. 

Let me ask a couple of questions of the folk that think the misdeeds of some farang reflect badly on other farang.

If a Thai person does something bad to you, does that in your own mind diminish all other Thais?

Do you think that people who answer that with a "yes" are being fair, or just being ignorant?

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, desert dueller said:

The sad news is that both gentlemen contracted covid19 in the IDC. One of them, David, passed away yesterday. The other one is very ill, at 83 years of age.

Very sad and completely avoidable but unfortunately with such a xenophobic government and policies unfortunately this may not be the last incident that will end with such sad results.

• Thanks 1

Oh dear. BritManToo makes major errors in his posts and then puts the poster who corrects them on ignore. Must have most posters on ignore therefore. Ah well! Such stupidity. So he's on ignore too! Byeeeeeeee!

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 2:07 PM, KarenBravo said:

Let me ask a couple of questions of the folk that think the misdeeds of some farang reflect badly on other farang.

If a Thai person does something bad to you, does that in your own mind diminish all other Thais?

Do you think that people who answer that with a "yes" are being fair, or just being ignorant?

The point is that we are the guests in this country, so it has nothing to do with how Thais behave. It's all about how other farang behave when we are trying to blend in as decent people. 

• Like 2

On 6/15/2021 at 5:52 PM, desert dueller said:

The sad news is that both gentlemen contracted covid19 in the IDC. One of them, David, passed away yesterday. The other one is very ill, at 83 years of age.

Did one of them really die?

Do you have anything to support this information?

On 6/12/2021 at 8:15 AM, Boomer6969 said:

Yeah right, beware good Thai people (Khon Thais in French) these white people of undetermined nationality are all obnoxious crooks, endangering our Kingdom, a lot more than those "procuring" the vaccines.

What are you on about, they choose and expensive room and didn't want to pay. what has vaccines to do with it.

• Like 2

Who in their right mind is going to come to Thailand if they can't drink..... muslims, vicars and recovering alcoholics...?? You guys over there have been well and truly FAUCIED right up the jacksea.

Thailand needs to change it's name to Myanmar II.  So sad to see a prosperous country fall.....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

========================================================================

Source please?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Is this true?  I've become attached to the story of these two and was hoping for a better outcome.  

On 6/17/2021 at 6:59 PM, KarenBravo said:

We are not "guests". That would imply a host that behaves like a host.

We are customers and there are other countries competing for our business.

We are guests in this country and the hosts are generally very hospitable unless you happen to be an arrogant foreigner. A damn site more hospitable than, say, the UK treats visitors.  Say no more. 

7 minutes ago, Charlie Halliday said:

We are guests in this country and the hosts are generally very hospitable unless you happen to be an arrogant foreigner. A damn site more hospitable than, say, the UK treats visitors.  Say no more. 

No, we are not guests. We are customers. Try typing the word guest into any dictionary.

You want to call yourself a guest? Knock yourself out, but don't apply this falsehood to others.

56 minutes ago, Charlie Halliday said:

That's true, but if the host blames you for something you didn't do then you have the right to complain and never go back there. It si not the people who are blaming us and insulting us and treating us like criminals, it is the government. So until there is a change, I for one will not be going back.

It is bad enough taking the blame for any accident we are involved in but this low death rate covid treatment is unacceptable. 

• Like 1

These are the people who give a bad name for foreign retirees.

What happens if immigration decided to abolish the retirement visa or make the requirements stricter in the future?

No thanks to this type of people.

Does anyone have a link to their shameless uncovered faces?

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1