Foreign retirees arrested for overstay after failing to pay 1 million baht rent on luxury Bangkok condo

webfact

10 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Not if the 2 names given in the OP are surnames, Rees and Rose are fairly common surnames in English speaking countries.

You have a point but it still doesn't explain why the one on the left in the picture appears to be a women and they are described as a couple.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JamieM said:

You have a point but it still doesn't explain why the one on the left in the picture appears to be a women and they are described as a couple.

I've just looked at the photo again, they look like two blokes to me, as for couple it could be the in the translation, I don't know I don't speak, read or write Thai and I haven't seen a Thai language to get some one to confirm what it says.

6 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Read the article. The clue is there.

They may have intended to pay but been forced into hard times by the pandemic, you cannot tell us what their intention was or was not.

7 minutes ago, Excel said:

Now don't get me wrong I perfectly understand why you did it, it was a convenient option and as you admit you were guilty of naivety. However, naivety  does not escape the fact that by being so you broke the law. Luckily things worked out ok for you but for those two, which the topic is about, there appears to be some oddities so please don't say they are scum until we know the facts. It could just be at their age they believed people and were similar to yourself, naïve who got caught out with respect to their overstay of 21 days, would you like to be labelled the same due to your own naivety ?

100% agree with you this is my point exactly. The poster knew he was skirting the law and got caught claiming ignorance is no defence. 

You would think people that have been in scrapes would have more understanding than those that have not but in this case the poster seems to have the familiar holier than thou attitude despite skirting the laws here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I've just looked at the photo again, they look like two blokes to me, as for couple it could be the in the translation, I don't know I don't speak, read or write Thai and I haven't seen a Thai language to get some one to confirm what it says.

It's hard to tell if it is a women admittedly but I think it is a woman, a few things make me think this:

1. long hair

2. feminine frame

3. described as in a couple

4. how many old boys live together in expensive condo's here?

5. Even though it could be a surname the OP describes one of them as only being known as Rose which while it could be a surname would be odd to be known by if you are a man. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

These people may have plenty of money but suffer from a mental state a guy moved into my condo building while back nice enough I talked to him in the elevator or lobby a few times he had enough to take tuktuks and drink at rachapakihnai guesthouses  but after s few months he reportedly had paid his thai landlord nothing eventually the police came and dropped his goods in the carpark. 

A loon, from Canada

the mental state is alcoholism and it's rampant among foreigners..

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Moving in then defaulting on the rent for an expensive condo in their own country would be less than scrupulous.

But they went one further, they moved to another country, rented an expensive condo then didn't pay the rent.

What were they thinking? 

that they were better than Thai people..

5 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

The British embassy will no longer by tickets. They will liaise with family, or friends to come up with the money. 

They haven't bought tickets for 50 odd years, no relatives to get money from with a hugely inflated service charge, they'll just let them rot on the street or in jail...

2 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

the mental state is alcoholism and it's rampant among foreigners..

and locals alike

2 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

these two probably burned all bridges with family or friends..

speculation?

1 minute ago, from the home of CC said:

that they were better than Thai people..

So you know what people are thinking as well? amazing

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

The question is...why didn't these two men extend their stay before the 22nd of May, when they permission was due to run out?

Immigration already checked them in March, according to the article and knew their permission was due to expire on that day. 

If they had extended, they would still be there causing problems.

probably didn't have enough to bribe immigration (though an agent)..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ventenio said:

People say they will never help............God reads every post!!!

If I saw some infants crawling to my mansion, of course I would let them stay even if they could not pay!!!!  

if TVF members ran the world, everyone would be gone.    

these stories are old hat....we know the worst falangs come here, so these stories will never end.   and then never end.............   these represent falangs of Thailand.   The 40 million sexpats............   i don't why anyone is surprised.   

that's why I say peoples criminal history should be examined prior to entrance to this country,  there's just too many countries that are glad to get rid of their own trash...

13 minutes ago, JamieM said:

and locals alike

speculation?

So you know what people are thinking as well? amazing

these low lifes give all of us here a bad name, that's just the reality of it. You defending their incredibly selfish actions and criminal behavior actually justifies the Thais that will stereotype foreigners over this.  

• Like 1

Just now, from the home of CC said:

these low lifes give all of us here a bad name, that's just the reality of it. You defending their incredibly selfish actions and criminal behavior actually justifies the Thais that will stereotype foreigners over this.  

As I was saying... cough

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JamieM said:

They are both male and the surnames are Rose and Rees.

Edited by Wozzit
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Andrew45 said:

Many old geezers like this around. They claim they are old and have no money and people should have sympathy for them. So they don't pay rent and walk out of restaurants with unpaid bills and bitch and whine about everything but in fact are shrewd high level narcissists  with no sense of responsibility and who care nothing about others.

Really ?

• Like 2

Had they renewed their extensions of stay there would have been no arrest here.

I note the arrest after 21 days of overstay, things are heating up here.

Owing some rent is merely a civil matter, surely there's come procedure to evict with the backing of the court?

• Like 1

These two guys - no ladies involved here - had been in Thailand as retirees for over 20 years. They eventually ran out of money and couldn't do the 800k option. The debt to their lessor was around 600k baht, so nowhere near the one million reported. However, they also borrowed extensively from local friends, without paying anything back. They are both Caucasian, and as British as they come. They have since departed.

• Sad 1