Jump to content

Are there any fees and taxes when buying a second hand car in Thailand?


Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find there is an additional VAT if buying used from a dealer (but included in the sticker price), otherwise its

The transfer cost is based on the estimated amount of the sale value of your car. There’s a 105 baht transfer fee and a stamp duty of 0.005 % of the estimated car price. For example, if the car is estimated at 300,000 baht, the total transfer cost would be 1,605 baht (105+(300000 x 0.005)).

 

Thanks for that info. Who estimates the sale value of the car? Buyer? Seller? Transport office staff? Is the stamp duty charged even if the car is given to you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, skraach said:

 

Thanks for that info. Who estimates the sale value of the car? Buyer? Seller? Transport office staff? Is the stamp duty charged even if the car is given to you?

Its the DLT appraised value. I believe there are some provisions (or used to be) to transfer within a family, husband to wife, inheritance etc, but not sure how that works

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its the DLT appraised value. I believe there are some provisions (or used to be) to transfer within a family, husband to wife, inheritance etc, but not sure how that works

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, skraach said:

Thanks

I have recently bought a secondhand vehicle from a BKK dealer @ 300,000 thb. with a part exchange of 80,000 thb (so Nett 220,000) and the DLV fees were 2,400 thb including change of ownership, postage etc, but on top I needed 3 proof of address letters from immigration @ 500 thb each (2 for selling and 1 for buying) hope this helps. Regards. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought my Aussie mate's car when he went back to Oz 3 weeks ago.

Nobody appraises the price, we agreed a price between ourselves (obviously) and we did the transaction. 

When it came to transferring ownership (Banglamung, Chonburi), seller and buyer must attend. Because it's foreigner to foreigner it cost me 2,855 baht, very smooth, no problems.

Don't know if the transfer cost would be different if a Thai was involved

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

I bought my Aussie mate's car when he went back to Oz 3 weeks ago.

Nobody appraises the price, we agreed a price between ourselves (obviously) and we did the transaction. 

When it came to transferring ownership (Banglamung, Chonburi), seller and buyer must attend. Because it's foreigner to foreigner it cost me 2,855 baht, very smooth, no problems.

Don't know if the transfer cost would be different if a Thai was involved

going by the 105bht + 0.005 % was your agreed price 550,000 as this would work out to be 2,855 baht

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, skraach said:

 

Thanks for that info. Who estimates the sale value of the car? Buyer? Seller? Transport office staff? Is the stamp duty charged even if the car is given to you?

You write the value on the transfer Form. But if it sounds too unreasonable they will adjust it.

Also charged if it's a gift.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2021 at 10:12 AM, Peterw42 said:
On 6/12/2021 at 10:05 AM, skraach said:

 

Thanks for that info. Who estimates the sale value of the car? Buyer? Seller? Transport office staff? Is the stamp duty charged even if the car is given to you?

Its the DLT appraised value. I believe there are some provisions (or used to be) to transfer within a family, husband to wife, inheritance etc, but not sure how that works

 

I recently transferred the title of one of my vehicles to my wife. The fees were waived as it was processed by the DLT as a gift.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just transferred a 4 yr old big bike to my name, I paid 340K for bike. Fees were 4700thb. I'm in a different province than seller.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the tax or transfer fee more for a slightly less than two liter engine vs. a less than 1.5 liter engine?

 

Does a 4 door suv get less tax than a sedan ,  am told a pick up truck gets special lower rate as a farm vehicle, does this apply to suv?

 

Thank you for your assistance

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IraqRon said:

 am told a pick up truck gets special lower rate as a farm vehicle,

Trucks with only 2 doors classed as work vehicle - green on white plates.

4 door classed same as a car - black on white plates

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IraqRon said:

Is the tax or transfer fee more for a slightly less than two liter engine vs. a less than 1.5 liter engine?

 

Does a 4 door suv get less tax than a sedan ,  am told a pick up truck gets special lower rate as a farm vehicle, does this apply to suv?

 

Thank you for your assistance

Transfer fee depends just on the value of the vehicle, 0.5% of the value plus a few hundred baht for this and that.

Tax depends on engine size, and a two door pickup is cheaper than other types of cars.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...