Tourism minister: Phuket unlikely to be ready for "sandbox" opening - "sealed route" share with Samui proposed

webfact

1 hour ago, rumak said:

tsk tsk .   there are definitely people in favor of this great idea !

Újpest's Giant Sandbox Enables Children and Adults to Play | TAFISA

The Phuket RTP would swoop in and arrest everyone for failure to wear masks, improper social distancing, and having fun.  The lot would be paraded in front of Thai media and ostracized, fined, and threatened with deportation. 

• Like 1

Just now, connda said:

The Phuket RTP would swoop in and arrest everyone for failure to wear masks, improper social distancing, and having fun.  The lot would be paraded in front of Thai media and ostracized, fined, and threatened with deportation. 

they are a fine example .......of Amazing Thailand

To me, I’d start kind of “small” so-to-speak..: show people the process works — especially if there will be major foreign media present… after a few weeks or so, THEN add to it.. by then word would have got out that the Phuket model works.. then they could add to it.

If you do in fact get it right, then the media will “sell” it for you - and i’d argue that the media would have a much father reach and probably better credibility.. so .. getting it right when they are there is huge. 

I’d rather start with the basics and get that correct right “out-of-the-box” versus shoot too big and look foolish when you have to step it backwards and fix it…

Breaking: Prime Minister allows some relaxing of a few restrictions in Bangkok, including museums, parks, tattoo shops, and foot massages. This is effective Monday, June 14th He also stated the Phuket Sandbox will proceed as of July First. More soon.

https://twitter.com/The_PattayaNews/status/1403701714675372035

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Backhand ad forehand. According to the Thai missus' friends in LOS, who once ran a good business in Kaosarn Road (we are in Oz, but she chats with them daily) - LOS is "stuffed" without tourists and will remain so, perhaps for years. They are barely surviving, selling basic foodstuffs in front of their house in BKK & are also 'sh*t scared of getting any dodgy vax for covid, as they "don't trust the current administration". Hmm. Neither does the wife either it seems - she says "Oz is MY home now - forget that other place, 'cos we aren't taking MY daughter there ever, whilst covid is still around". It seems that now that she is an Aussie citizen, it is "MY" daughter, rather than "OUR" daughter but really, who cares ? Not me  - I just got the all clear - no prostate cancer five years after 'salvage radiation', to correct a Thai Dr's failed op - I can still hoist the flag too ! Life is good in the great-south-land, even with 'she-that-must-be-obeyed' running the show. Most of the time. Cheers all !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Errrrrrrr Just a minute, does the tourist have a say in any of this? For example maybe some maybe do not want to go to Samui or anywhere else for that matter except maybe the mainland can they stay in Phuket for the whole two weeks?? Then proceed directly to the mainland...........

You ting tu mat

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

I dare to disagree, 1,000 baht will get you much less then before, bars owners expect to have same profit with much less customers, the THAI Logic is, if before they made 1,000 baht profit selling 100 beers now they expect the same 1,000 baht profit but selling 10 beers  555

Correct. Although you are missing the point: believe it or not, but it obviously works for them. Hike the prices, the punters won't worry. Why? It's called the power of the little cat.

This whole kerfuffle reminds me of the time during World War II when Churchill was talking with reporters about the progress of the war when a friend asked him if he and Mrs. Churchill could meet him at the Savoy for dinner that night.  Churchill was overheard by a reporter to say "Sorry, we can't make it."  The next day the banner headline in the Times read: "WAR LOST! CHURCHILL SAYS WE CAN'T MAKE IT!"

The egregious level of reporting (true everywhere, but especially here) is only matched by the tendency of Thai officials to shoot from the hip, sometimes not even bothering to remove the weapon from the holster before firing.

The inevitable "This was all a misunderstanding" article to follow tomorrow.

By the way, I made up the story in the first paragraph out of whole cloth.  I'm thinking of going into journalism.

Thailand's tourism minister Pipat Ratchakitprakan as saying that the much vaunted opening of Phuket under the "sandbox" no quarantine scheme will not happen on July 1st.

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Breaking: Prime Minister allows some relaxing of a few restrictions in Bangkok, including museums, parks, tattoo shops, and foot massages. This is effective Monday, June 14th He also stated the Phuket Sandbox will proceed as of July First. More soon.

https://twitter.com/The_PattayaNews/status/1403701714675372035

Hahahahahahahah

• Like 1

As soon as it went to 14 days (actually 15 days), with 3 tests, and the threat of going into a field hospital, families seperated if you test positive, then it was never going to work. 

It's essentially just turned into a another quarantine proposal, that will take guests from Bangkok to Phuket. The number who have entered Bangkok since ASQ began has been very low. Infact Phuket will probably be best served by just opening up to domestic tourists again. 

With the more dangerous Indian variant i do understand why Thailand would be cautious. There will be unvaccinated people coming to Phuket mixing with new tourists who may pass the virus onto them, and then they take the virus back to an unvaccinated Bangkok population. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, webfact said:

the much vaunted opening of Phuket under the "sandbox" no quarantine scheme will not happen on July 1st.

Google translate of https://siamrath.co.th/n/252224:

Mr. Phiphat discussed the Phuket Sand Box project that the government will push to happen on July 1, with details of such projects It is open to tourists who have been injected. Complete vaccine Traveling to Thailand via Phuket Province, where tourists can travel in Phuket without quarantine. But tourists must stay in Phuket for 14 days and pass 2 Covid-19 tests. Once the result is safe, on the 15th day tourists can continue traveling throughout Thailand.

Phiphat said that the proposed Samui Sealed Route model will be announced on July 1, 64, with Phuket, is unlikely to be able to do so in time. But will try to push in the Cabinet meeting and the CCP to announce Samui Sealed Route on August 1, 64 with the following guidelines when tourists come to Phuket.

• Like 1

https://www.facebook.com/groups/388875605677294/permalink/398562118041976/?comment_id=398579644706890

Google translation of the Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha from a tweet made this evening:

2. Phuket Sandbox project (Phuket Sandbox) is a project that arises from my order. To find a way to try to open the country to tourists without quarantine to revive the tourism industry that has always been the country's main income. The island can be controlled, so we are preparing by mobilizing vaccinations for the people of Phuket, which today injected more than 70% of the whole province's population, especially brothers and sisters in the tourism sector. We will give 100% vaccination, which will be open only to tourists who have completed 2 injections from low-risk countries and must stay in Phuket for at least 14 days before traveling to other areas and will have Disease examination and monitoring system Strict example with by project This "Phuket Sandbox" has been reviewed by the Center for Economic Situation Administration (CDC) and the Council of Ministers has received preliminary notice. The next step is to update the details for the CDC. and the Cabinet formally approved which is expected to start on July 1 and will continue to serve as a model for other tourism areas for other sectors such as restaurants or other tourist areas that still have conditions Close the place or have various restrictions, I and B.C.C. The situation is constantly assessed taking into account both the safety of public health and the lifestyle of the people and will be announced as soon as a resolution is made.

198278895_10226300779445822_4410260992090777095_n.jpg

Edited by skatewash
Added emphasis in bold italic.
  • Like 1