Immigration charging twice when extending 1 year visa

Has anyone else come across this, when extending the 1 year visa, immigration charging the visa fee when making the application and then charging it again one month later when picking up the visa ?

I have lived in Thailand for 9 years in two different provinces, my previous province only ever charged me once, but the province I am at presently for the last few years have been charging me twice for the same visa, last year I thought it was my mistake but it is happening again this year...

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Which immigration office.

I am afraid to state names in an open forum. But I can say that in my previous province Phuket I was only ever charged the fee one time per visa, and if I recall correctly I was given a receipt.

Edited by ArranP
  • Haha 1

Just now, clivebaxter said:

so looks like the first charge was an illegal one then, why not report it? or you will get the same every year.

I think I have missed my chance this year as I already handed over the money and walked away with no receipt so no way I have to proove it.

I will have to wait until next year and ask what I am paying for exactly and ask for a receipt, it is then up to them if they then hold it against me and make it difficult for me to get my visa...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Not familiar with that office however folk will be along with first hand experience.

You were scammed and that's bad. A simple solution might be to demand a receipt. 

BTW not my favourite beach there. Ha

Thank you for clarifying that it is only one charge, this is my understanding also.

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not familiar with that office however folk will be along with first hand experience.

You were scammed and that's bad. A simple solution might be to demand a receipt. 

BTW not my favourite beach there. Ha.

EDIT: just read above that you have already paid this time and no receipt.

Some posters will advise to make complaint. I wouldn't say that the wrong thing to do however personally I would let it side and now your aware you can avoid it next time..

Yes this is my intention also, I already missed the ball on this occasion.... I will have to wait until next year and ask for a receipt before handing over the money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ArranP said:

Thank you for clarifying that it is only one charge, this is my understanding also.

Yes extensions be it a covid extension or 30 day extension to tourist and visa exempt and the common annual extensions etc are all 1900baht.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Easy to say scammed.  But if he had produced a receipt from the application, would they have charged him the 2nd time? 

Maybe just an innocent oversight.

Still a good cautionary tale.  Get a receipt for all money paid to Immigration, if only to know for sure you've been scammed.

Bit strange the OP wasn't given a receipt for the 1900 on day of application. Yes always ask for one. 

As for the 'second time'..…you don't pay any money on second time, you just get a stamp that's it.

OP seems relaxed to let it go and now knows what to expect next time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Assume this is for an extension based on marriage, are you sure the second fee is not for a home visit which most offices charge for.

a reasonable question, I will ask, however I do not recall ever having to pay for a home visit during my 5 years in the Phuket province.

4 minutes ago, ArranP said:

a reasonable question, I will ask, however I do not recall ever having to pay for a home visit during my 5 years in the Phuket province.

Whilst they may make a record made of a home visit, never in the 9 years here I have ever had a home visit.

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I wasn't aware of imm office charging for home visit.

Have heard of them asking for some petrol money on day of visit. Never seen report of a 1900 baht charge for visit. 

Many reports on this forum of charges for home visits, must admit most are on the day (some are advised before visit).

Have not heard of this being applied to get approval stamps after visit before, but TIT

3 minutes ago, ArranP said:

Whilst they may make a record made of a home visit, never in the 9 years here I have ever had a home visit.

I've had 3 home visits in 15 years, 2 of which was while on retirement extension, carried out by local police on behalf of Immigration, Immigration Police were nor involved, and no charges were  made. They insisted on taking photos to prove visit in front of sister-in-laws front door (adjacent house to mine) as it looked better for the photos.

In Samui the plump girl would typically ask 5000 same day or 1900 next week for my retirement extension.  She must have marked my passport as each year she says to come back next week.  I pay her 1900 up front and just pick it up the following week.  She also charged me 1500 to transfer stamps to the new passport.  I've never seen anyone get a receipt.  Things have actually gotten much better there over the years.

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

BTW not my favourite beach there. Ha.

EDIT: just read above that you have already paid this time and no receipt.

Some posters will advise to make complaint. I wouldn't say that the wrong thing to do however personally I would let it side and now your aware you can avoid it next time..

Crabs move sideways. Me thinks Krabi.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1