Signals point to an early election in Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Nah. Won't happen. The Thai army does not have the guts for it, and the Thai soldiers, and the families of the soldiers would never tolerate their sons murdering innocent Thais. And the Thai soldiers are not facing the level of desperation the young Burmese are. The poverty here is not as grinding as it is in Burma. I do not think it could be sustained, if the fools started it. Thailand is a very different culture than Burma, on a dozen significant levels. And the youth now, are very different people than they were during past coups, which were violent.

The army is in a difficult position now. If voted out, they would have to accept it. The generals would have to be content with their fortunes. 

It was tolerated in 2010 and even a nurse being gunned down in the Wat changed nothing unfortunately

56 minutes ago, Excel said:

It was tolerated in 2010 and even a nurse being gunned down in the Wat changed nothing unfortunately

Things are so different now. Social media combined with an utter  lack of moral authority. Think about that. 

Just now, spidermike007 said:

Things are so different now. Social media combined with an utter  lack of moral authority. Think about that. 

Certainly hope so but I would not trust this bunch to not try and remember, the PM was the Commander-In-Chief at that time so maybe he thinks what worked for him then could work now, but I sincerely it does not come to that.

5 hours ago, DefaultName said:

So, an election, people travel all over the country to vote in their home towns.  In a pandemic.  ????

State of Emergency, sorry, travel restrictions imposed...

No large gatherings (rallies), campaigning through the media (which we own), strict controls against political activity on social media.

Plan starting to firm up maybe?

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And I will make a most optimistic prediction. If they lose, there will never be another military coup here. Think about it. The moral authority that backed the coups in the past, is long gone. And the army does not have the guts to wage war against their people, Burma style.

Dang, I like optimism as much as the next guy, but I'm predicting it will happen again! The military explained their coup was to protect the monarchy, which might be the rare time they told the truth since the title of king was soon to be passed from the most popular king to his less popular successor and the loyal subjects might become less loyal and decide to reform the monarchy powers after the transition, so it was an 'ounce of prevention' decision, originating from the top down, if you follow the money. It achieved its purpose in stabilizing the country, so I think they'll keep using the coup tool until it doesn't work anymore. Sorry to be a downer!

Tell me if I 'm wrong, but every time Pruyet (as Prime Minister) declares an Emergency Decree (12th time just occurred about a month or so ago I believe - since the start of the pandemic) this means parliament has been prorogued (ie. is not in power) and Pruyet is the sole decision-maker - ie. there is no parliamentary vote on any issues, although he does consult his cabinet.  There has been little parliamentary practice in well over a year.  What is the point of an election if the Prime Minister can, at any time, declare parliamentary practice null and void and take over the reigns himself.  It's all we've been getting since Covid reared its head.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

I understand the pushing of large infrastructure projects due to the big "finances" involved.

But if I listen to my family, Thai friends, acquaintances and former work colleagues over the past few months theres not a one who would vote for the current incumbents. 

But they do.

They just don't realise that they are doing it.

Someone uses their id number.

Or slips a few hundred baht to buy their vote.

One university was hauled a couple of years ago.

Casting votes for the students.

Without their knowledge.

3 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Very probably, however the results would not be announced for several months, and following party dissolutions, banning from politics on a variety of trumped up charges, electoral commission "interpretations", the odd inexplicable disappearance, plenty of horsetrading and alliance striking, followed by the inevitable Senate ruling, you can reliably expect that "democracy will triumph" and the same bunch will remain in power...

Where is the opposition?  never hear about it/them.... 

19 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

But they do.

They just don't realise that they are doing it.

Someone uses their id number.

Or slips a few hundred baht to buy their vote.

One university was hauled a couple of years ago.

Casting votes for the students.

Without their knowledge.

Time magazine refers to that as "fortifying" the election.

Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss.  Sadly, the best Thailand can hope for is a new public face of the real power.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Well if there are to be elections, I hope that it is monitored by international monitors. I do not believe that the

present government has been 100 percent honest during their time in power.  I do hope that there is someone in

one of the other parties that is popular with the people and will work harder for the people of Thailand.

I am ever hopeful that one of these attempts for Thailand to become a democratic country will be successful.

Geezer

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, CLW said:

If Prayuth wins another term, no matter if earlier or at regular elections, I predict riots or worse...

He does not need anyone to vote FOR him. He just has to ensure that nobody actually votes AGAINST him.....

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Madeline Thompson said:

Tell me if I 'm wrong, but every time Pruyet (as Prime Minister) declares an Emergency Decree (12th time just occurred about a month or so ago I believe - since the start of the pandemic) this means parliament has been prorogued (ie. is not in power) and Pruyet is the sole decision-maker - ie. there is no parliamentary vote on any issues, although he does consult his cabinet.  There has been little parliamentary practice in well over a year.  What is the point of an election if the Prime Minister can, at any time, declare parliamentary practice null and void and take over the reigns himself.  It's all we've been getting since Covid reared its head.  

The point of an election is to continue the charade, the illusion that Thailand is a Democracy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zack61 said:

Why is it referred to as an election??????

Because simply you can mark your ballot paper or get intimidated by the PM's goons, consequently you elect to either comply or disobey the military.

18 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

As this is part of the "Consitution", it would need to be ammended, a process which is still a bit undefined.

The Constitution was changed after a public referendum, but maybe best not to look under that rock?

The first step woud, I assume, require said Senators to vote for an ammendment to eliminate their seat on the gravy train. Can't see that happening, ever.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/politics/deputy-pm-2-ways-to-amend-constitution

I think you spelt constipation wrong, because it's full of sh..!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Well if there are to be elections, I hope that it is monitored by international monitors. I do not believe that the

present government has been 100 percent honest during their time in power.  I do hope that there is someone in

one of the other parties that is popular with the people and will work harder for the people of Thailand.

I am ever hopeful that one of these attempts for Thailand to become a democratic country will be successful.

Geezer

This corrupt administration from the top down will never let go without a fight. Elections? well unfortunately, and I sincerely hope I am wrong,  but the main player as soon as an election is announced, if indeed an early election happens, will instigate and instruct a Myanmar type of power grab with accompanying atrocities. The world has already shown it will do nothing to help those poor souls so they will certainly do nothing to help the poor Thai people if those events are duplicated by the depraved and greedy running this country.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

I understand the pushing of large infrastructure projects due to the big "finances" involved.

But if I listen to my family, Thai friends, acquaintances and former work colleagues over the past few months theres not a one who would vote for the current incumbents. 

Same here but as they rig everything in their favour it will be no surprise to see the Muppets win again.

And if they don't, it's coup time yet again.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SooKee said:

Now THIS they will have no problem fixing ????

Thammanat has won the trust and backing of “Big Brother” Prawit, who apparently believes his protégé will help the party win the next election thanks to his many connections and allies.

The pawns are being moved in readiness for the "check-mate" manoeuvre.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Madeline Thompson said:

Mind you, what is the point of an election if ( as has happened twice this century) the military stage a coup when it looks like the wrong people are going to win?

Once you have ignored the electorate with such open contempt, the rest: rule by decree due to a permanent state of emergency, bypassing parliament, arranging the dissolution of opposition parties and banning of opposition figures are a mere bagatelle.