Pit bull attacks three year old - child has to go and live with gran as parents demand dog's removal

webfact

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Disagree with that - the owners were with their child in the street. 

I suppose I can't argue with you there, even if I said, streets are for cars, trucks and motorbikes, who would you then blame if they hit the kid in the street, the car, truck or motorbike ?

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Perhaps you want the parents fined for allowing their child to play ????

Always over the top.

• Like 1

I don't believe that breed is more aggressive than any other.  The problem is that it's physically designed to cause a lot of damage. 

If one of these and a poodle both attack people, the poodle gets booted into the next street, with these that doesn't work; they can take damage that would put a man on the ground and keep going.

IMO, unless you have an appropriate secure place for them, and a good reason to need one, ownership and breeding should be banned.  In any normal house, no, get a Lab or a Jack Russell, or something.

• Like 1

Parents should not leave small children unsupervised in the street and dog owners should secure their pets. Children running around screaming will provoke any dog to chase. Irresponsible parents and irresponsible dog owners are all to blame.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A totally dumbed down strawman argument which shouldn’t warrant a response.... 

There is no need for anyone to keep one of these breeds of dog.

Any dog should be restrained or not able to escape the property.

Innocent people and children should never be at risk from any dog.

Nice and simplistic, lol.

Is there ever a need for anyone to keep any certain breed of dogs?

Is it feasable to always restrain a dog and unable it to escape a property? Every heard of human error?

Nobody should ever be at risk from any dog, nor should anybody ever be at risk of traffic, disease, dying of old age, crime, etc. It still happens though. Thats life: full of risks. You try to limit the risks as much as possible, but there will always be risks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:
9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Disagree with that - the owners were with their child in the street. 

I suppose I can't argue with you there, even if I said, streets are for cars, trucks and motorbikes, who would you then blame if they hit the kid in the street, the car, truck or motorbike ?

That very much depends on the street. 

We live in an enclosed moo-baan... but obviously cars and motorcycles do drive in and out. 

‘Some’ of the delivery motorcycles do ride too fast, when my son is playing in the street (riding his bike) I stand in the road, any car or bike coming can’t miss a 6ft foreigner !...  

If the bikes are coming too fast, I wave my arm to get them to slow, most do. 

I also do my best to teach my Son road safety, but he’s still a child and will run out after a ball etc - that I why either my Wife or I area always present. Sometimes my son is 80m down the road on his bike, he still has to be careful, its a constant ‘lesson’. He understands he has to stop when he sees or hears a car, but he will not always see or hear the car. 

In a Moo-baan I would blame any driver or rider that hits a child - the speed of a rider or driver travelling through a moo-baan should always be slow enough for them to stop in the vast majority of cases. 

Of course, a car or bike can’t always stop in time, i.e. if a child runs out from behind a parked car etc, in this case the speed of the vehicle should be such that the child suffers minimal damage when / if the car were to hit the child. 

Some roads are just unsafe. Our Moo-baan is safe, nothing is 100% save, but not ’through’ traffic makes a big difference. There are obviously lots of residential roads which are unsafe for a child to play on. There are no hard and fast rules. 

In all of the above examples: IF there is an aggressive and un-restrained dog, there is not much we could do to prevent it from running out and attacking my child. 

There was a Golden Lab down the road that used to bark aggressively when we walked past the gate (the gate was closed) - I wouldn’t allow my son to ride past the house. Fortunately that dog / owners have moved out and the dog is no longer there to bark aggressively. 

I also agree some parents are way too relaxed. A lot of the children in my moo-baan play outside without supervision of the parents (even at the pool).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

No arguments from me???

I hate all dogs...dog owners....dog ßhit......and dog pißß.

So you hate me !!!! Shocked and upset i am.????????

You should come visit me and my five dogs, you would be most welcome.????

Dogs of any breed should be properly cared for, not allowed to run free, unless in a secure compound.

My dogs can run free around the house, but are never allowed outside the gate, and are properly controlled.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

So you hate me !!!! Shocked and upset i am.????????

You should come visit me and my five dogs, you would be most welcome.????

Dogs of any breed should be properly cared for, not allowed to run free, unless in a secure compound.

My dogs can run free around the house, but are never allowed outside the gate, and are properly controlled.

OMG.....nightmare......funnily enough just negotiating a house sit with  two dogs in Phuket........so can't hate them that much really!!!......555

• Haha 1

Put the dog down, by any means necessary. This should not be tolerated. If a dog cannot be sufficiently trained to avoid attacking anyone, much less defenseless children, it does not have the right to live, or consume oxygen. 

At least an adult has the option of picking up a piece of wood, or a nearby weapon of some sort, and beating the life out of the reckless mutt. A kid does not, and could be traumatized for life, or could suffer a debilitating wound or injury. 

Don't need any overly PC replies. 

• Like 2

Just now, CharlieH said:

Same here, my 4 run around the compund and are not allowed in the house. If the gate is left open, they will not cross the boundary. They are trained and cared for, no need to contaminate them with other people ! ????

You two must be knee deep in........and swimming in...........

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Excel said:

Yet another one. About time all these animals are put down and the irresponsible owners who are protecting these dangerous animals put behind bars as they are just as guilty as the animal 

Ok, so if one drunk driver kills a pedestrian should we put down all car drivers as well? 

4 hours ago, Staxer said:

Re_ seismic.... It may not be a pitbull but It sure looks close to me. Why anyone would want to keep a beast like this mystifys me!

4 hours ago, Seismic said:

That dog is NOT a pit bull.

Looks more like American Bully. Not illegal to keep in uk and usa.

Champion_Charlie_Muscles_(2).jpg

Edited by roo860

5 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Nice and simplistic, lol.

Is there ever a need for anyone to keep any certain breed of dogs?

Not a need... People like dogs, so let them have dogs. But owners have to be responsible. 

Is it feasable to always restrain a dog and unable it to escape a property? Every heard of human error?

It is feasible to expect that an owner takes all necessary measures to ensure a dog cannot escape their property.

That said... mistakes happen (human error)... those famous last words “Don’t leave the gate open !!!”... but the escaping dog should not be a breed that can cause so much damage to a person. 

The issue here is that a dog was un-restrained and that dog was a breed which can cause a lot of damage.

Nobody should ever be at risk from any dog, nor should anybody ever be at risk of traffic, disease, dying of old age, crime, etc. It still happens though. Thats life: full of risks. You try to limit the risks as much as possible, but there will always be risks.

Life is full of risks: Extremely dumb argument....  There is no need for a child to be at risk of any powerful dog.

Breeds which are universally considered dangerous should not be allowed as pets.

All Soi Dogs should all be rounded up and ‘relocated’ (or disposed of). 

All dogs should have an ID collar. If a dog is found on the street, owners fined. If a dog is found on the street without an ID collar, it should be removed and re-housed / destroyed.

Unpopular comments I’m sure... but ‘we’ (Thai Society) have allowed this problem to exist. 

These risks have all but been removed in the UK because people are held accountable for their failure to follow the regulations. 

Attacks still happen and always will. Nothing is water tight, however, risk can be significantly reduced.

"playing happily without a care in the world ... Out of nowhere the beast ... attacked."

No bias at all there. Had the kid been annoying the animal with noise while it was caged? There had to be factors that caused the dog to snap.

I love dogs, but am wary of some breeds, purely due to their strength and poor training from stupid owners.

Saying this, this poor dog needs to be rehomed, and I wish the poor kid the best recovery possible.

4 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:
5 hours ago, Excel said:

Yet another one. About time all these animals are put down and the irresponsible owners who are protecting these dangerous animals put behind bars as they are just as guilty as the animal 

Ok, so if one drunk driver kills a pedestrian should we put down all car drivers as well? 

Again.. another dumbed down strawman argument...... 

Nope... but all drunk drivers should be put down !!!!  - everyone agrees that anyone caught drunk driving should suffer severe penalties - in Thailand these penalties are insufficient and thus not a preventative measure as they should be. 

But... the ‘drunk driving’ argument is a very very very different argument to unrestrained dogs mauling children playing in the street. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

And another piece of sensationalist writing “her arm was torn to shreds, she needed 20 stitches”. If her arm had been torn to shreds she would probably need hundreds of stitches, not just twenty.

Also, the dog in the picture doesn’t look like a pitbull at all! It’s way too stocky! 

Having said that, the poor little girl will have to deal with the ordeal emotionally for the rest of her life. 

A valid point.... 

The headline is a dog whistle to those such as myself who believe that ALL dogs should be restrained at ALL times unless confined to their owners property and unable to escape. 

Also that that there should be a total ban on breeds which are considered dangerous.

Also that ALL soi dogs should be removed from the streets.

That said: This remains an emotive and major issue because no situation should ever exist whereby a child should be bitten by a dog - this happens too often in Thailand.

Edited by richard_smith237

4 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

The car is not produced to attack.

Neither are pitbulls produced to attack humans, but. that’s not the point. As a matter of fact, the car in my post is totally irrelevant, it’s about the driver. The point is, you can’t throw all pitbulls into the same pot and have them all killed because a few of them have attacked humans for the very same reason you can’t kill all car drivers just because some of them drove drunk and killed pedestrians! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2long said:

"playing happily without a care in the world ... Out of nowhere the beast ... attacked."

No bias at all there. Had the kid been annoying the animal with noise while it was caged? There had to be factors that caused the dog to snap.

Yes.. ultimately, those factors were....

- It's a dog

- It was un-restrained

- It’s an aggressive animal (breed)

- It was perhaps poorly trained (or not trained at all which is not uncommon here)

6 minutes ago, 2long said:

I love dogs, but am wary of some breeds, purely due to their strength and poor training from stupid owners.

Saying this, this poor dog needs to be rehomed, and I wish the poor kid the best recovery possible.

Removed and destroyed .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1