Pit bull attacks three year old - child has to go and live with gran as parents demand dog's removal

webfact

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That very much depends on the street. 

We live in an enclosed moo-baan... but obviously cars and motorcycles do drive in and out. 

‘Some’ of the delivery motorcycles do ride too fast, when my son is playing in the street (riding his bike) I stand in the road, any car or bike coming can’t miss a 6ft foreigner !...  

If the bikes are coming too fast, I wave my arm to get them to slow, most do. 

I also do my best to teach my Son road safety, but he’s still a child and will run out after a ball etc - that I why either my Wife or I area always present. Sometimes my son is 80m down the road on his bike, he still has to be careful, its a constant ‘lesson’. He understands he has to stop when he sees or hears a car, but he will not always see or hear the car. 

In a Moo-baan I would blame any driver or rider that hits a child - the speed of a rider or driver travelling through a moo-baan should always be slow enough for them to stop in the vast majority of cases. 

Of course, a car or bike can’t always stop in time, i.e. if a child runs out from behind a parked car etc, in this case the speed of the vehicle should be such that the child suffers minimal damage when / if the car were to hit the child. 

Some roads are just unsafe. Our Moo-baan is safe, nothing is 100% save, but not ’through’ traffic makes a big difference. There are obviously lots of residential roads which are unsafe for a child to play on. There are no hard and fast rules. 

In all of the above examples: IF there is an aggressive and un-restrained dog, there is not much we could do to prevent it from running out and attacking my child. 

There was a Golden Lab down the road that used to bark aggressively when we walked past the gate (the gate was closed) - I wouldn’t allow my son to ride past the house. Fortunately that dog / owners have moved out and the dog is no longer there to bark aggressively. 

I also agree some parents are way too relaxed. A lot of the children in my moo-baan play outside without supervision of the parents (even at the pool).

So you agree, the road/street/avenue/cul-de-sac is not for kids as it's unsafe, supervised or not.

7 hours ago, Staxer said:

Re_ seismic.... It may not be a pitbull but It sure looks close to me. Why anyone would want to keep a beast like this mystifys me!

Correct!  Pitbull or not I agree the head sure looks like one!  I guess that should make the child and parents feel better!  If it was my child there wouldn't even an conversation as to what should happen to the dog and what the owners should be doing!????

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Excel said:

The moral of your story being is definitely never walk in your neighbours frontyard as it is possibly covered in dog s""t ????????

The moral is 'not to buy a dog' if you can't control your dog so as not to inconvenient your neighbors.

Most people (not only Thai) don't understand this logic.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Wouldn't you agree that people only spend so much time and money on dogs if they "get" something back?

Not from what I've seen, some have the larger versions to impress others, some have them to 'allegedly' protect their property...most are just a bl00dy nuisance and a waste of oxygen here....in the UK you'll hardly notice a dog, the owners are responsible and you hardly hear a woof at night...here, it is non stop! A majority of the owners don't give a <deleted> and let their four legged <deleted> machines do what they like.

Bob, this is Thailand, not the UK, here no one is held accountable, and that goes for their god damn dogs too!

One breed that should not be bred except for specific guard duty type jobs or some such. Not! for sale to general public. American pitbulls have killed and maimed people in my home country and every year this breed is reported to have attacked yet another innocent non-threatening person. These killing breeds e.g. rottweilers, ridgebacks etc should be banned! Any dog for that matter that bites or menaces people or other dogs should be put down with the needle (this included of course the tens of thousands of agro crazy wild-soi dogs that bite and d menace people every day).

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

The way to go is to implement a dog owners’ license, similar to how the US handle venomous snake licenses. You need one thousand working hours with each of the potentially dangerous breeds you want to keep before you can even apply for the license, which will be handed out only if you pass a theoretical and physical test, coupled with a psychiatric evaluation whether you’re even fit to keep a dog, couple that with a psychiatric evaluation for aggression of the dog they keep at age 12 months, 24 and 36 and that will do the trick nicely. 

While i agree with you, we both know this will not happen any time soon anywhere in the world.

They can do this with snakes cause there are maybe a hand full compared to millions of dogs.

People can have mental/emotional disorders that can make them very dangerous. If they kill they are removed from society, and sometimes executed. I am a dog lover, but if they savagely attack humans - children in particular - then  I think they should get a lethal injection.

5 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

One breed that should not be bred except for specific guard duty type jobs or some such. Not! for sale to general public. American pitbulls have killed and maimed people in my home country and every year this breed is reported to have attacked yet another innocent non-threatening person. These killing breeds e.g. rottweilers, ridgebacks etc should be banned! Any dog for that matter that bites or menaces people or other dogs should be put down with the needle (this included of course the tens of thousands of agro crazy wild-soi dogs that bite and d menace people every day).

https://www.dnaindia.com/lifestyle/photo-gallery-international-dog-day-2020-6-most-dangerous-dog-breeds-in-the-world-2839542

36 minutes ago, roo860 said:

That dog isn't in any of the dogs listed 

If its not an American pit bull terrier - what breed of dog is it then ?

While breed is a factor as some breeds are a lot more powerful than others, what is of more importance is that an aggressive dog was able to attack a child while that child was less than 5m away from her mother. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

While breed is a factor as some breeds are a lot more powerful than others, what is of more importance is that an aggressive dog was able to attack a child while that child was less than 5m away from her mother. 

It looks like a possible mutt of a sweet Britiish bulldog and some kind of pittie doesn't matter it's the owners dog so the owners responsibility any breed can be dangerous. Children should be able to play outside without being attacked by a dangerous animal owned by a negligent person or a feral/soi dog that should be rounded up by the local  government. Stop blaming the victims.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

American Bully, legal to own in UK and US. 

Ive already posted pictures of one in earlier posts. 

Edited by roo860
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

While i agree with you, we both know this will not happen any time soon anywhere in the world.

They can do this with snakes cause there are maybe a hand full compared to millions of dogs.

Well, all it needs is legislation. The dog license would definitely be better than banning breeds.

5 hours ago, lanng khao said:

It's all about temperament, we had a dog that was gay, when someone knocked on the door it didn't bark, it run round fluffing the cushions up..

And growling at me for not cleaning the pockets of dust. It was a Pointer. ????

11 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Are you sure about that?  They're the breed that is most likely to rip a child's face off!

Yeah, as a matter of fact I am because I, unlike you, do research before I post! You clearly know absolutely nothing about the breed! All it would take is to go online and do a quick google search to verify my statement, but you rather spread <deleted> here than educating yourself or even fact-checking your own prejudiced <deleted>, so do me a favor and get off my back because this is clearly a waste of time! 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A fair argument...  and this would work in many western nations where in general, laws are followed and enforced. 

Unfortunately, Thailand is not civilised enough for the rule of law to be followed or enforced, thus the blanket ban on any breed considered dangerous is the only way to protect children. 

Unfortunately, the imperfect solution is a ‘blanket solution’ and thus the reason for the ‘blanket statement’ - all people in Thailand (Thai and foreign) cannot be trusted to be responsible when owning potentially dangerous animals.

The difference with snakes in Thailand is that they can’t jump over a 3 ft fence and attack a child. Snakes in the garden will shy away from playing children, although there are obvious risks that need to be mitigated by responsible parents (such as trimming back the garden etc).

I completely agree with your measures, but I don’t see them being successfully implemented in a country like Thailand which can’t even manage to enforce a helmet law.

No dog should be in public unrestrained... Soi dogs, beach dogs should all be removed. No privately owned dogs should be able to escape their compound. 

Breeds considered dangerous should not be permitted to be bred. It is unfortunate that the many who would be responsible owners are faced with such bans because of few who are not responsible - but if that is the cost of protecting children playing outside there houses then I think that cost is a fair one. 

The freedom of choice of a dog owner simply cannot be allowed to exceed the freedom for a child to play safety - there is no comparison. 

Everything can be implemented, anywhere in the world, it’s just a matter of wanting to, but I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Everything can be implemented, anywhere in the world, it’s just a matter of wanting to, but I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one. 

So as Thailand's law enforcement is next to zero, then if there is a threat to life and limb then the only safe option is to remove that threat. Simple put all those killer dogs down now immediately.  RTP could offer say a reward for neighbours to report people keeping these beasts so that they can be taken away and put down and the people who had them prosecuted for keeping a dangerous animal.

1 minute ago, Excel said:

So as Thailand's law enforcement is next to zero, then if there is a threat to life and limb then the only safe option is to remove that threat. Simple put all those killer dogs down now immediately.  RTP could offer say a reward for neighbours to report people keeping these beasts so that they can be taken away and put down and the people who had them prosecuted for keeping a dangerous animal.

Lunacy!