Man seriously injured from electric shock at a gasoline vending machine in Pattaya area

webfact

pat.jpg

By  Goong Nang(GN)

Banglamung – An unidentified man has sustained serious injuries after suffering a significant electric shock while filling gasoline on his motorbike at a gasoline vending machine in Nongprue last night (June 15th).

You can watch the video here:

Emergency responders were notified of the incident at a gasoline vending machine at 10:00 P.M. in Soi Kor Pai.

They and The Pattaya News arrived at the scene to find an injured Thai male aged around 30-years-old.

Local residents had already moved the man to a shop nearby as it was raining during the incident.

Emergency responders provided him CPR before transferring him to a local hospital.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/06/16/man-seriously-injured-from-electric-shock-at-a-gasoline-vending-machine-in-pattaya-area/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Sad 2

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If he survives without ongoing disabilities he is indeed lucky he wasn't burnt as well.

Given that "electricians" in Thailand sometimes do not understand what an "earth" is, I'm only surprised such doesn't happen more often.

I had an electrical shower heater installed by an "electrician" that didn't know what an "earth" was, and I had to put one in myself after he left.

Your'e  MAD  I  wouldnt let  an electrician near my  house in Thailand, so much information on the internet these days to learn at least the basics and do it  yourself.

2 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Your'e  MAD  I  wouldnt let  an electrician near my  house in Thailand, so much information on the internet these days to learn at least the basics and do it  yourself.

Not the best idea I heard this week!

• Haha 1

Just now, Rampant Rabbit said:

Ah, jumping to conclusions without any evidence!

I normally did all my own electrical work, but it wasn't in my own house and I wanted to be able to blame someone else if the electrical water heater malfunctioned and killed someone.

I particularly enjoyed the time I wired up an outside light at the MIL's house, but insisted on putting it through a circuit breaker. They wanted it to be able to be used when the mains were off, so employed a local "electrician" to change it when I was away for a couple of days. I laughed like a drain when I returned, to find he's wired it direct to earth and melted switch, light fitting and 10 meters of cable.

• Like 1

Wiring here is a mess and scary at times.  I'm currently typing on a laptop that tingles when plugging it in. The last laptop was destroyed, I assume, by the the faulty current.  Many appliances tingle when touched and the breakers get a lot of work.  On hot days constantly at the fuse box.  It is a resort and really nothing I can do about it.  Been here 5 months and just deal with it  until I get vaccinated and can move on.

It is so easy to put together a "dangerous" electrical system in your home and many Thais with no knowledge do just that and it works good 99% of the time.  While at the resort mentioned above  I put together a 550 watt solar array with 200 amp hrs of lithium battery storage and wired it myself.  Dangerous but far less than the high current 220v power in houses.  Had to float ( no ground) the system so it would be mobile. Had a few light shocks and near fires but survived. Could do the same with a home and this is the problem - too easy.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Local residents had already moved the man to a shop nearby as it was raining during the incident.

Not for a second was the fact that gasoline was involved, and there could have been a massive fireball.

It was raining

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not the best idea I heard this week!

A few DIY foreigners killed by fiddling at the water pump over the years.

And that's just water pumps and reported here.

3 hours ago, Enzian said:

"Earth" must be Brit usage, because as far as I know (having been a B license contractor in CA) Americans all use "ground", as in Ground Fault Interruptor. Electricity is amazing; if it can't find any other way to ground, it is happy to use you.

'Earth' and 'ground' don't always mean the same. eg: you can have an electronic panel where some parts are 'grounded' without any of it being connected to ' earth'....

3 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, he might have dropped his cigarette as well as his coffee and mobile phone and fried chicken 

Where did you read he had fried chicken or is it just another KFC claim for free publicity ?????

Just now, RichardColeman said:

Nowhere, just my experience of Thai motorbike taxi drivers and viewing general Thais on motorbikes with their hands full

So  we can safely conclude that most Thai motorbike taxi drivers and others really prefer fried chicken. 

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If he survives without ongoing disabilities he is indeed lucky he wasn't burnt as well.

Given that "electricians" in Thailand sometimes do not understand what an "earth" is, I'm only surprised such doesn't happen more often.

I had an electrical shower heater installed by an "electrician" that didn't know what an "earth" was, and I had to put one in myself after he left.

Ditto; they are clueless idiots !

1 hour ago, Peterphuket said:

Here's another example, yesterday i bought a small fridge for Mrs, to use it outside.

N.b. brand Toshiba, but of course made in LOS

A 2 pin plug and a separate ground, why not a 3 pin plug?

Same with my Mitsubishi and LG fridges   2 pin plugs,  earth ?  ...well...   "up to you"    T.i.T

1552289867_Mitsubishiearth.thumb.jpg.761852bf8547a74c801e5d3231082799.jpg

957912481_LGearth.thumb.jpg.0134ce5fd51a4523ae8453ab28974e32.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

Thai Electrician is an oxymoron

shock.jpg.a4bc8d5a85ac19bf958c7058d9f9cefa.jpg

There are some skilled Thai electricians  but they seem to  tend towards  doing industrial installations for  "loadsa money"

there is also  "amazingly" a  government licencing scheme brought in a few years ago  for domestic/home electricians

someone on this forum reported that one of his Thai relatives had done the course  and posted this Thai electrical test 1536926773_38_File__27092559150108_.pdf

along with a sample  ID card to show they where qualified  which I can't seem to find again..still finding a qualified Thai electrician is to say the least.. not easy.

37 minutes ago, johng said:

shock.jpg.a4bc8d5a85ac19bf958c7058d9f9cefa.jpg

There are some skilled Thai electricians  but they seem to  tend towards  doing industrial installations for  "loadsa money"

there is also  "amazingly" a  government licencing scheme brought in a few years ago  for domestic/home electricians

someone on this forum reported that one of his Thai relatives had done the course  and posted this Thai electrical test 1536926773_38_File__27092559150108_.pdf

along with a sample  ID card to show they where qualified  which I can't seem to find again..still finding a qualified Thai electrician is to say the least.. not easy.

At least it shows 1st aid, Ohm's Law and parallel and serial combinations... 555555 

4 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Ha, ha, ha, any farang surprised?

Here's another example, yesterday i bought a small fridge for Mrs, to use it outside.

N.b. brand Toshiba, but of course made in LOS

A 2 pin plug and a separate ground, why not a 3 pin plug?

IMG_4626.JPG

IMG_4627.JPG

Well you should put the fridge not on wood but on the ground , then it is grounded ????

Notice some iron pieces of chassis is touching the ground????

• Haha 1