Windows 11

Beachcomber

Win 11 checks when installing IF you have TPM module if you do not have will not install, but the TPM is not require to "run win 11"  there is already a simple workaround to install win 11 just a matter of deleting and replacing a file. my opinion of win 11 apart from the new UI its ok no big deal.  

2 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

Win 11 checks when installing IF you have TPM module if you do not have will not install, but the TPM is not require to "run win 11"  there is already a simple workaround to install win 11 just a matter of deleting and replacing a file. my opinion of win 11 apart from the new UI its ok no big deal.  

TPM is but one of the 3 deal breakers for many of us:

a 64-bit CPU and TPM 2.0 and at least an eighth-generation Intel processor or an AMD processor from no earlier than 2019.

21 hours ago, Stocky said:

Being stuck on Win10 for the next 4 years (at least) is rather a relief, no more nail-biting 'Feature Update'. I'll be happy enough to wait until Windows 12 ~ well we now know the idea of no more Windows editions is a lie.

I guess you will still have feature updates for WIN 10 until then. As for the WIN 12 it surely requires TPM 3.0 ????

8 hours ago, Aforek said:

An other soft , with details, to see the result of compatibily

as for me, only a problem of cpu (I 5 7400 )

Lets'hope that Microsoft will change this story of CPU

GitHub - rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11: Detection Script to help identify why your PC isn't Windows 11 ready

Thanks. This tool really gives you details in a good overview. When exposed to an online malware scan 3 (out of 50 or so) scanners give a (probable false) positive for the script, but both my Bitdefender and Malwarebytes with the rest of the other scanners give a pass. So I did run it. Unfortunately it only confirms what I did know already. 3 of my 4 systems will die because of CPU incompatibility (TPM would have been no problem there) or be used as a local display without online access.

My main system (AMD Threadripper 2950X CPU and Asus ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha MB) has indeed the possibility to switch on firmware based fTPM (or use a plug-in hardware TPM). Hopefully this is then recognized by MS Update when they distribute the WIN 11. This means I only need to buy one new medium capability desktop (and install all the software and config, permissions (a nightmare) on it - which is much much more of a hassle overall).

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

Thanks. This tool really gives you details in a good overview. When exposed to an online malware scan 3 (out of 50 or so) scanners give a (probable false) positive for the script, but both my Bitdefender and Malwarebytes with the rest of the other scanners give a pass. So I did run it. Unfortunately it only confirms what I did know already. 3 of my 4 systems will die because of CPU incompatibility (TPM would have been no problem there) or be used as a local display without online access.

My main system (AMD Threadripper 2950X CPU and Asus ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha MB) has indeed the possibility to switch on firmware based fTPM (or use a plug-in hardware TPM). Hopefully this is then recognized by MS Update when they distribute the WIN 11. This means I only need to buy one new medium capability desktop (and install all the software and config, permissions (a nightmare) on it - which is much much more of a hassle overall).

The announcement is a bit confusing to many. Windows 11 will install with CPU older than 8th Gen/Apollo Lake. You'll just get notice that it is not "recommended".

Well, if you don't know yet, Microsoft have taken this a step further and released their first official preview version of Windows 11, build 22000.51 (the leaked version was build 21996.1) in their Windows Insider program. This has a lot of additional changes to the leaked version, but is still not the complete package. It hasn't got the ability to run .apks as yet for example. When running winver on this, the version comes up as 21H2 (which is a W10 reference) even though it shows as W11.

No doubt this build will be available for download in the usual places soon, and if you are in the Insider program, it is possible to download the ISO from there. The link below is to an updated tour of the latest features in this build:

Again, as I said in an earlier post, run this on a virtual platform or on a spare computer/laptop as it will be buggy.

For those worried about the TPM requirement for W11, I think this may be blown up a bit. In the original wording on the microsoft site regarding this issue, they had the minimum requirement for TPM as version 1.2; they later changed this to version 2.0 for no apparent reason.

And as for the recommended CPU list, this is still being updated as MS receive word from users who have successfully installed W11 on the various CPU's and the list is not complete yet. It makes no sense that a computer running a gen 8 i-7 CPU, multi threaded, 32GB RAM couldn't run W11 when a recent i-3, 4GB RAM computer can.

For both these issues above, I am convinced that MS will step-back or that other work arounds will be available for 'non-compatible' machines. Currently, the work around is to change files from a W10 ISO Source folder to a W11 extracted Source folder and this bypasses the TPM and secure boot issues.

We'll see................................. 

Here is where to check in your Bios if you have TPM

Motherboard with Intel-chipset

- ASUS: Advanced -> PCH/FW Configuration -> PTT & TPM Device Selection (firmware)
- ASRock: Security -> Intel Platform Trust Technology
- Gigabyte: Settings -> Miscellaneous -> Trusted Computing -> Security Device Support
- MSI: Settings -> Security -> Trusted Computing -> Security Device Support

Motherboard with AMD-chipset

- ASUS: Advanced -> AMD fTPM Configuration -> AMD CPU fTPM
- ASRock: Advanced -> CPU Configuration -> AMD fTPM Switch
- Gigabyte: Settings -> Miscellaneous -> AMD CPU fTPM
- MSI: Settings -> Security -> Trusted Computing -> Security Device Support & AMD fTPM Switch

Edited by MJCM

As Microsoft appear to have temporarily removed their checker tool from their website for the new Windows 11 system requirements, if anyone wants to check their PC/notebooks there is a new tool available from Github called WhyNotWin11 (latest version 2.3.0.3 as of an hour ago). This is basically a script that will check all the parameters for a W11 install. WhyNotWin11 is free and open source software, using the LGPL-3.0 license.

This is a screenshot of the results on an old (ish) notebook that I have (only mods done to it was HDD to SSD changeout)

911036037_wnw11snap.jpg.5d67f5a4298768dbf632782ec92718f3.jpg

Much more informative than the MS checker. If anyone wants to use this, the link is:

https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11   Download from the latest version link on the page.

As a note, your Defender/AV will likely pick this up as a PUP (potentially unwanted program) but I have found it safe (obviously up to you though if you run it). The script is updated frequently as MS add CPU compatibility, etc.

Edited by chrisinth
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tifino said:

if W10 was supposed to be the Last actual version, then the new one when it arrives will have a new logo

Sunset View from the Opened Window by Egoroff | VideoHive 

Windows Sunset 

Microsoft said Windows 10 was going to be the last OS, but it had so many feature updates, which were basically Windows 10.1, Windows 10.2 and so on, that it was probably easier to just create Windows 11 and start a new run of feature updates.  ????

14 hours ago, josthomz said:

Even if they called it Windows 100 and jumped across the 90 versions in between.... It would still be the same unsafe, inconsistent, ugly and buggy trash it always has been. 

So who cares what they call it....

Yesterday I started fighting with Windows 10 .....

1) Can't see me NAS dives <deleted> ...... windows 7 no problems, but it can't handle USB 3 at greater than 15mbs.

2) Can't start without logging on and entering a password, only me using it, why the f.... do I have to enter a password?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

With " WhyNotWin11", I have now UEFI, TPM2.0 , Secure boot, and GPT

But, in section " Disk partition type ", there is " GPT not detected "

how to have it " detected " ? I have a  7 th generation CPU but I think Microsoft will change one's mind

thanks 

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

1) Can't see me NAS dives <deleted> ...... windows 7 no problems, but it can't handle USB 3 at greater than 15mbs.

2) Can't start without logging on and entering a password, only me using it, why the f.... do I have to enter a password?

TBH I can recognise all of the individual words; but I have no idea as to what you are trying to convey.

You don't need to enter a password. You can leave that part blank when creating a Local account. 

You might have chosen or been coerced to create another kind of sign-in option: such as a Microsoft account or picture password or PIN.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/can-i-sign-in-to-windows-without-a-password-a72b85ae-75ae-4cfa-5c7d-186a61fcce92

You'll have to give a lot more detail if you want anyone to make sense of what you have written. For example; with concern to the NAS.

18 minutes ago, Aforek said:

With " WhyNotWin11", I have now UEFI, TPM2.0 , Secure boot, and GPT

But, in section " Disk partition type ", there is " GPT not detected "

how to have it " detected " ? I have a  7 th generation CPU but I think Microsoft will change one's mind

thanks 

Don't worry about it. GPT partition will be created if you clean install Windows 11 anyway. 

• Like 1

Just upgraded my PC to windows 11.

Specs

HP Desktop (bought in Zeer 2ndhand)

I5 -4670 (from 2013/2014 I think)

8GB ram

TPM1.2

Reinstalled windows 10 gpt/UEFI and activated secure boot

Windows 10 pro

Method from windows 10:

Settings-update security-windows insider program and enter MS login details there.

Selected dev options and computer reboots

After reboot went back into settings, updates and security, check for updates and windows 11 update was available.

Installed windows 11 and it seems to be functioning properly for my simple use case  (browsing, email, word, excel etc)

Get into settings and removed my email account and using win 11 as a local account.

Started off with windows 8 pro licensed updated to Windows 10 pro and it now shows it is activated with windows 11 pro.

Removed previous installations of windows and disk space consumed is total 22GB

Security updates continue to work and are being updated using local account.

It appears to be mainly a cosmetic modification of windows 10. There were some additional privacy options which I turned off. Settings seem to be easier to access and work with.

Overall I quite like it so will keep the installation.

Edited by userabcd

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My Windows 7 32 systems on a notebook and on a PC with USB 3 have no problem to read my external HD with more than 200 MB/s. And here the HD is the limiting factor. So something must be wrong with your USB 3. Is it really a USB 3 port? And what do you connect there? Is this USB 3? 

14 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

My Windows 7 32 systems on a notebook and on a PC with USB 3 have no problem to read my external HD with more than 200 MB/s. And here the HD is the limiting factor. So something must be wrong with your USB 3. Is it really a USB 3 port? And what do you connect there? Is this USB 3? 

USB flash drive. Gigabyte sniper a88x mobo (USB2)

Bought a 3rd party 4x USB3 PCI VIA chipset card ...... even worse.

win 10 read 120, write 50

win 7 read 13, write 13

Hard drives are faster, win 7 isn't very good with flash drives. 

Moving to Risen 5 3400g and AM4 GIGABYTE B450M AORUS ELITE once JIB get around to posting it.

Edited by BritManToo

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

USB flash drive. Gigabyte sniper a88x mobo (USB2)

Bought a 3rd party 4x USB3 PCI VIA chipset card ...... even worse.

win 10 read 120, write 50

win 7 read 13, write 13

Hard drives are faster, win 7 isn't very good with flash drives. 

Moving to Risen 5 3400g and AM4 GIGABYTE B450M AORUS ELITE once JIB get around to posting it.

My PC has a 4x USB 3 PCI card with VIA chipset too. No speed difference to the USB 3 port at the notebook. Did you install the Windows 7 driver for it? I have both installed on the PC and the notebook. Windows 7 and Windows 10. There is a strange thing. If I take CrystalDiskMark then Win 10 IS A BIT faster. If I check with HDtune PRO the results are exactly the same. Perhaps a CrystalDiskMark problem? Anyway - did you install the correct VIA driver on Windows 7?

14 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Anyway - did you install the correct VIA driver on Windows 7?

I thing trying to get USB 3 speeds on a Motherboard that only supports USB 2 is probably too much to expect. at 7-8 years old, I probably need new parts.

Edited by BritManToo

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I thing trying to get USB 3 speeds on a Motherboard that only supports USB 2 is probably too much to expect. at 7-8 years old, I probably need new parts.

My PC is 12 years old and still great and fast with 8 GB memory (have a Win 7 32 Kernel batch so that it can handle so much memory) and with RAID 0. But everything 12 years ago that I bought was the top of the line. Okay - I don't use it for games and I got much slower too... 

So the age of the PC can't be the problem because yours is even younger. I installed such a cheap PCI USB 3 card too and it works great. Since Windows 10 has no problem perhaps it is really the Windows 7 VIA driver? You can compare the used driver versions in Win 10 and Win 7 in the device manager. 

Seems MS want to comoete with android.

Their website states

Minimum system requirements

Processor 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or System on a Chip (SoC)
Memory 4 GB RAM
Storage 64 GB or larger storage device
System firmware UEFI, Secure Boot capable
TPM Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0
Graphics card DirectX 12 compatible graphics / WDDM 2.x
Display > 9" with HD Resolution (720p)
Internet connection

Microsoft account and internet connectivity required for setup for Windows 11 Home

However we've 4 years to see public response

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-11#pchealthcheck

1 hour ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Seems MS want to comoete with android.

Their website states

Processor 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or System on a Chip (SoC)
Memory 4 GB RAM
Storage 64 GB or larger storage device
System firmware UEFI, Secure Boot capable
TPM Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0
Graphics card DirectX 12 compatible graphics / WDDM 2.x
Display > 9" with HD Resolution (720p)
Internet connection

Microsoft account and internet connectivity required for setup for Windows 11 Home

However we've 4 years to see public response

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-11#pchealthcheck

They have already stated that it can run Android Apps and would run Play Store if Google would allow it.

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

They have already stated that it can run Android Apps and would run Play Store if Google would allow it.

Simply use BlueStacks. I think Windows (Gates) made a mistake when it went from INI files to the Registry. If you install something and uninstall it afterwards you will find a lot of garbage on your system. There is a lot of software available to reduce the problem in Windows. Never needed anything like this in Android or at Microsoft versions where you still had INI files.