Windows 11

Beachcomber

one can only wonder what their evil plan is now about that TPM.

my laptop didn't pass the test, but it's already 6 years old.

but I guess I'll have to replace it by 2025 anyway.

First you need to make sure your desktop/laptop is compatible with W11.  My desktop is not as it is at least 10 years old. However my new laptop is. It is my understanding that you will not need to download it and install. It will be a similar rollout to W10 when it first came out, viz. automatically included as part of Windows Updates. If the pc is compatible then the updates will recogise this and W10 will be replaced to W11 free of charge

Edited by TigerandDog

On 6/20/2021 at 10:53 PM, tgw said:

I don't expect this Windows 11 to be a big upgrade that will break things. I'd expect it to be yet another Win 10 version which simply is labeled Win 11.

Sounds like that.

"Once Windows 11 becomes generally available around the holidays, you'll download it the same way you would with any new version of Windows. Most users will go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and clicking Check for Updates. If available, you'll see Feature update to Windows 11. Click Download and install."

"If you're already a Windows 10 user, Windows 11 will appear as a free upgrade to your machine."

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-11-price-compatibility-release-date-and-features-for-microsofts-new-update/

Also there is apparently an updated Windows 11 PC Health Check App:

"If your machine is not compatible, you'll get a message that says, "This PC will not run Windows 11." Though at first this was all you could see, on Friday, Microsoft updated the tool to give you more detailed information on what system requirements were not met."

We just made updates to the Windows 11 PC Health Check App. It now provides more detailed info on requirements not met. This should help in cases where folks assumed CPU compat issues were TPM related https://t.co/hTWMe16DWO pic.twitter.com/eZLTZMOdjT
    — DWIZZZLE (@dwizzzleMSFT) June 25, 2021

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-11-use-microsofts-pc-health-check-app-to-check-if-your-device-is-compatible-heres-how/

• Like 1

As with all new Windows releases, I recommend you wait for SP1 (Service Pack 1).

I'm guessing later in the year, after everyone finds the bugs that testers did not.

Personally, I recommend Ubuntu as Desktop OS, has everything you need also.

Good luck.

On 6/26/2021 at 11:28 AM, Stocky said:

Your computer also needs to have a TPM 2.0 cryptoprocessor. 

From my 4 PCs, all fail the compatability test because 3 have older CPU which are not on the list and one because of a missing TPM 2.0. The checking tool does not give a reason but I can figure out why they seem not to be compatible.

So my 2 laptops have to die and one of the 2 desktops will be completely replaced (it was (is) my backup machine and therefore necessary)

Now my main custom built system (160K+ invested 2 years ago) does not have this needed TPM, but the motherboard (Asus Extreme Zenith Alpha) has at least a connector for a plug-in. The question is: where do you get a plug in TPM ? invadeIT does not seem to have one in their online shop.

I would consider upgrading in a year or so after version 11 has matured a bit.

8 minutes ago, moogradod said:

From my 4 PCs, all fail the compatability test because 3 have older CPU which are not on the list and one because of a missing TPM 2.0. The checking tool does not give a reason but I can figure out why they seem not to be compatible.

Be sure you have the latest PC Health app as MS updated it over the last 24 hours or so to improve identification of the specific reason a computer fails the test.  

The reason for failure will be on the "very first" window that appears after running the check.   It's kinda like a popup window within a window.  If bypassing that very first window then you will not see the specific reason for failure.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 6:18 PM, Mavideol said:

I received daily messages from Microsoft inviting me to the lunch of the new windows.... everyday deleted the damn messages, better look at it in detail when the next one arrives, but I shouldn't be the only one receiving such messages, quite sure anybody running a legal copy of windows 10 may have received similar messages, even Edge advertises it

What is this "legal" that you speak of?

Microsoft told Tom's Hardware that all Windows 11 PC's will require TPM - even if they were built by the user. Additionally, the company has published three lists of supported processors: one each for Intel, AMD and Qualcomm. Notably, it cuts off at 8th Gen Intel Core processors and 2nd Gen AMD, leaving a number of still otherwise good processors out in the cold. It isn't entirely clear if older CPUs that otherwise meet the minimum specification requirements may be allowed to upgrade with a warning.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-11-upgrades-are-free-here-are-the-system-requirements

Intel Gen 8th was launch August 2017 so any Intel cpu  with a build date older than August 2017  unlikely to pass the microsoft health check for windows 11

My understanding is this was going to be released in small pieces. Last week there was a little portion that was optional during Windows automatic updates. I chose to download and install it, but I haven't noticed anything different on my machine yet...

On 6/17/2021 at 6:54 PM, TooBigToFit said:

Oh dear, another one? When will it end... 

It doesn't as long as you keep going to the next version.

I want to roll my laptop back to Win7 or install Linux.

I found a way to stop all Win10 updates forever. No updates for over a year and no more crashes, screwed up apps that were working fine, no viruses.

I'm done with windows for good.

• Like 1

Behind all the MS hype on Win 11 seems there is a lot of "devil in the details....fine print." 

Looking more and more like a LOT of computers working perfectly fine on Win 10 will not be compatible with Win 11...will not be able to even install Win 11. 

Computer manufacturers/stores must be grinning from ear to ear.

8 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

My understanding is this was going to be released in small pieces. Last week there was a little portion that was optional during Windows automatic updates. I chose to download and install it, but I haven't noticed anything different on my machine yet...

Not Win 11 related...it's just one of the monthly optional/preview Win 10 updates.  I get them almost ever month...to include this month/a few days ago on my computers.  They are really beta versions of final monthly updates to be released in the near future.

On 6/20/2021 at 8:26 PM, shdmn said:

There is no money to be made in that.  I was always very skeptical of the Win10 forever idea. I figured the bean counters would try get that changed eventually.

I don't understand your thinking. It's free, same as Win 10 was for most. When it's released, after testing by those who do that sort of thing, it will be available as a normal upgrade, same as security fixes and updated versions of 10 are now. I believe the rollout is expected towards the end of the year and it will be done in stages in different parts of the world, not the entire planet in one day.

On suitability of my laptop, as others above have raised, I did the check and my year-old Asus is ready. I'm sure that I'll get it as and when as I like the cosmetic changes and the new 'targeted' start menu.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Be sure you have the latest PC Health app as MS updated it over the last 24 hours or so to improve identification of the specific reason a computer fails the test.  

Thanks a lot, but I just can check the Req manually as well. There are various easy ways to check for TPM without the MS tool. Then the CPU compatibility list is straightforward, although there might eventually be possibilities to make Windows 11 run under some circumstances in the future without being on the list. Time will tell.

My main concern now is only: Where do I get a plug in TPM for my motherboard for my main PC. The CPU is a AMD 2950X which is on the list. The Asus Extreme Zenith Alpha MB has a 14 pin TPM connector according to the specs. Just not to upgrade after 2025 is no option because of security concerns. I might have one shipped to me by friends from Switzerland if necessary. But it is a looooong way until October 2025. Lets see who will survive until then - my IT (probably) or myself (more questionable).

Edited by moogradod

I have a nice laptop but I rarely use as my phone can do everything my laptop can and its more powerful.

But yes, I will be downloading Windows 11.  Better security and battery life  is my main reason.  Im sure after a few weeks I'll get accustomed to the new layout.

47 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Thanks a lot, but I just can check the Req manually as well. There are various easy ways to check for TPM without the MS tool. Then the CPU compatibility list is straightforward, although there might eventually be possibilities to make Windows 11 run under some circumstances in the future without being on the list. Time will tell.

My main concern now is only: Where do I get a plug in TPM for my motherboard for my main PC. The CPU is a AMD 2950X which is on the list. The Asus Extreme Zenith Alpha MB has a 14 pin TPM connector according to the specs. Just not to upgrade after 2025 is no option because of security concerns. I might have one shipped to me by friends from Switzerland if necessary. But it is a looooong way until October 2025. Lets see who will survive until then - my IT (probably) or myself (more questionable).

You could try eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=trusted+platform+module&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=tpm&_osacat=0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

What is this "legal" that you speak of?

legal copies of windows if illegal the computer may not recognize it... have 2 laptops one with win10 from Dell and the other with win10 license from a different place, this one was not recognized by MS when running the compatibility test

Edited by Mavideol
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Thanks. Indeed some modules available with 14-1 connector. About 100 £ for a new module. It states they are Skylake compatible which raises my suspicion. I have no Intel CPU. And again we have here the issue of "does not ship to Thailand". I suspect soon a big hunt for TPM add-ons will start as well making them unavailable for a while. I will check with my former superb supplier in Switzerland - Digitec - and then have it shipped to me with ordinary postal office service by a friend of mine. I bought IT stuff unavailable in Thailand a number of times that way without any problem.

• Like 1

Being stuck on Win10 for the next 4 years (at least) is rather a relief, no more nail-biting 'Feature Update'. I'll be happy enough to wait until Windows 12 ~ well we now know the idea of no more Windows editions is a lie.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pib said:

Behind all the MS hype on Win 11 seems there is a lot of "devil in the details....fine print." 

Looking more and more like a LOT of computers working perfectly fine on Win 10 will not be compatible with Win 11...will not be able to even install Win 11. 

Computer manufacturers/stores must be grinning from ear to ear.

Buying new shoes that pinch as bad as the old ones is a waste of effort and money.

• Like 1

Some younger folks never screwed around with the Windows 95, 98, 2000. Some older folks here probably even go back earlier in that those with the IBMs. I don't remember the programs we used back in the late 1980s. I guess the longer experience you have screwing around with the various versions only to go to the next version, the more you probably get a bit bored with this stuff. I was fairly happy with Windows 7 and then when Windows 10 came I'd just had enough. Sure I still use computers, I just don't find the happiness in dealing with issues. I just want it to work. The young people who don't know the past don't know the headaches and wacky stuff that went on at times along the way with viruses and quirks and the updates.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

Some younger folks never screwed around with the Windows 95, 98, 2000. Some older folks here probably even go back earlier in that those with the IBMs. I don't remember the programs we used back in the late 1980s. I guess the longer experience you have screwing around with the various versions only to go to the next version, the more you probably get a bit bored with this stuff. I was fairly happy with Windows 7 and then when Windows 10 came I'd just had enough. Sure I still use computers, I just don't find the happiness in dealing with issues. I just want it to work. The young people who don't know the past don't know the headaches and wacky stuff that went on at times along the way with viruses and quirks and the updates.

This article might help solve the problem, but it's probably not for the faint-hearted. It's cheaper than buying a new pc though.

Windows 11 won't work without a TPM - What you need to know (bleepingcomputer.com)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

Windows  3.1..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moogradod said:

So my 2 laptops have to die and one of the 2 desktops will be completely replaced (it was (is) my backup machine and therefore necessary)

Now my main custom built system (160K+ invested 2 years ago) does not have this needed TPM, but the motherboard (Asus Extreme Zenith Alpha) has at least a connector for a plug-in. The question is: where do you get a plug in TPM ? invadeIT does not seem to have one in their online shop.

I would consider upgrading in a year or so after version 11 has matured a bit.

Likely you don't need a plug-in. Intel chipsets since 2013 have contained their PTT:

Intel’s PTT was Introduced in 2013 on select fourth-generation Intel Core processors and chipsets, including Intel Haswell ULT multichip packages, as well as on Atom-based, system-on-a-chip solutions like Bay Trail. PTT enables low-cost and low-power devices to support the same root of trust concepts enabled by hardware-based TPM. Furthermore, it supports all of Microsoft’s requirements for firmware Trusted Platform Module (fTPM) 2.0.

Usually it's just a matter of switching it on via the BIOS.; “PTT” on Intel systems, or “PSP fTPM" for AMD.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

I don't remember the programs we used back in the late 1980s

Very briefly, the apps that made the PC essential to businesses were Wordperfect, Lotus 123 and dBase, all running on DOS.  There were competitors, but those were the big ones.  The Win versions prior to 95 were a farce, but with 95 came what is now called MS Office and the rest is history.  Also noteworthy of this period is MS's bitter divorce from IBM.

Let's not forget the unimpressive Win versions MS would prefer that we did, the most recent being Win 8.  Historically every other version is trash, the following version is both an improvement and an apology ( I used to work for Sun, their OS releases were not reliable until release x.3). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

All Windows 10 PCs/laptops should be PTT capable. It was a Windows 10 requirement. What was not a requirement was being enabled. 

According to below article it says almost every Intel CPU that 5-7 years old should have PTT (i.e., TPM capability).   Older than that an you are probably SOL.

But for those of us who say have a laptop bought around 2015 running a 4th generation i7 CPU (an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4702MQ) released around 2013 which runs Win 10 perfectly fine & fast....is still a perfectly good computer--in fact, it's the computer I primarily use day to day here at home as it's fast and small), well, people like me need to continue to run Win 10 on such perfectly fine computers until Win 10 is no longer supported come Oct 2025.  

What pisses me off with Microsoft is how they hyped Win 11 that most all computers will be able to run Win 11 giving the impression any computer, old or new, that's currently running Win 10 will be able to run Win 11.  But what they were really saying is any computer on the current "market" as in new computers currently being sold will run Win 11.   Or said another way, newer computers will run Win 11 but older computers might now/will not like the numerous people in this thread already reporting their computer fails the Win 11 readiness test.    Devil in the details....fine print....etc.   

But I will have to say Win 10 was released July 2015 and will be supported until Oct 2025....so, that 10 year life span is longer than other OS versions Microsoft has released.    

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-11-wont-work-without-a-tpm-what-you-need-to-know/

TPM processors come in two versions - an older and less secure 1.2 version and a more secure 2.0 version, which is a requirement for Windows 11.

Since 2013, Intel and AMD added firmware TPM technology to many of their CPUs that perform the same functionality as a TPM 2.0 processor without the need of a dedicated module.

For Intel Process, this technology is called Intel Platform Trust Technology (Intel PTT), and for AMD, it is called AMD Platform Security Processor.

"Almost every CPU in the last 5-7 years has a TPM. For Intel its called the "Intel PTT" which you set to enabled. For AMD it would be "AMD PSP fTPM". TPMs have been required for OEM certification since at least 2015 and was announced in 2013," said David Weston, Director of Enterprise and OS Security at Microsoft.

• Like 1