Phuket ready for July reopening as 62% population vaccinated

snoop1130

Thailand has to start the recovery somewhere; for some people it will never be the right time

Phuket is a good option for this experiment.

My bucket and spade are ready Phuket here I come

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Farang99 said:

Phuket’s vice governor Pichet Panapong, said today the province’s vaccine rollout covers Phuket residents, the non-registered population, and foreign workers.

Note the absence  of foreign retirees

Foreign retirees have been able to register for just a couple days in Phuket on the PhuketMustWin site https://www.xn--12cmj6ba0a7b3g4a6fud5d2a.com/ .  I don't think any have received a vaccination appointment by SMS yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

A question for the Phuket expats on here: how many of you have received one dose of a vaccine, or does "62% of the local population" really mean "62% of the local Thai population"? 

A high percentage of Phuket expats with work permits are vaccinated (at least one dose).  Phuket expats without work permits have only been allowed to register for the vaccine in the last two days and none of them as of yet received the vaccination, to my knowledge.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, blorg said:

Yeah, that one seems to have been redefined severely.

Originally you would have thought 70% vaccinated meant, they had both had their two jabs and the required period after the second one to develop immunity.

Then it was pretty obvious that wasn't going to happen, so having two jabs, OK.

But redefining it as having had only one jab is not "vaccinated". Particularly not if the 1st jab is Sinovac, which really needs the second dose to be effective, it is not half as bad as people make out after the second dose but it it has particularly poor efficacy from the first dose.

The article does still seem to suggest that "The province must fully vaccinate another 218,277 people to achieve the 70% of population threshold." but I don't see how that can happen in the two weeks remaining.

Logically, if only 62% have even the first dose yet, and there is a minimum of two weeks between doses (and that's a very short window, as has been found in trials a longer gap is much more effective), it is simply impossible for 70% to be "fully vaccinated" by the end of the month.

The figures only apply to the people living in Phuket with house registrations there. Thousands of Thai people living and working in Phuket have house registrations in other provinces. Most of them can not get vaccinated, unless they go back to their home province. Even with two jabs, 70% of the population will never be vaccinated this year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skytrooper70 said:

So, even a Phuket home/condo owner will have to register at a SHA Plus (minimum 70% of staff vaxxed) and expose oneself to possibly C-19 infected/asymptomatic other hotel guests or hotel staff (that is, the 30% not yet vaxxed or is this group not allowed to come to work).

No, Phuket expats appear not to be able to avail themselves of the scheme.

Latest news is that its only available to those on a tourist visa, non O doesn't qualify.

5 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Thanks. So most farangs living in Phuket have less than two weeks to get a first dose of something that, whatever vaccine is available, is going to be a long way from providing them with full protection. I live in Pattaya and this all seems like a trial run for what we're going to have to put up with in a few months time.

Sinovac and AstraZeneca vaccines are being injected.  It's not clear to me that we will get a choice, it may be based on our age and medical conditions.

AstraZeneca after a single jab:

A single dose of AstraZeneca's shot was 76% effective at protecting against COVID-19 with symptoms for at least 90 days, according to late-stage-trial data published in The Lancet on February 19. The study authors also reported that one dose provided 100% protection against hospitalization, but the numbers were small. 

Based on his reading of existing studies, Evans said the single-dose efficacy for AstraZeneca's vaccine was probably at least 70% against COVID-19 with symptoms for the first 90 days. After this time period, it's unclear, he said.

https://www.businessinsider.com/covid-vaccine-one-shot-effectiveness-pfizer-moderna-astrazeneca-vaccines-dose-2021-3

2 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Sinovac and AstraZeneca vaccines are being injected.  It's not clear to me that we will get a choice, it may be based on our age and medical conditions.

AstraZeneca after a single jab:

https://www.businessinsider.com/covid-vaccine-one-shot-effectiveness-pfizer-moderna-astrazeneca-vaccines-dose-2021-3

Yes, but the immunity conferred takes time to develop, it doesn't simply appear a few hours after the jab. So many older retired expats, the most vulnerable group, will at the very best just have received their first injection when the scheme starts up, and may well still have to wait a week or even several weeks after the start up to get it. And then it takes perhaps 3 or 4 weeks to reach its maximum effectiveness as a single dose, by which time the island will have been teeming with tourists potentially carrying the Indian variant for weeks. This is not an attractive prospect IMHO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Guderian said:

by which time the island will have been teeming with tourists potentially carrying the Indian variant for weeks.

Fully vaccinated tourists restricted to Phuket wearing wristbands having applied to the Thai Embassy for a CofE and having secured $100k of Covid insurance to sit on an island with no bars/entertainment? No "teeming" on Phuket anytime soon.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Michael Hare said:

The figures only apply to the people living in Phuket with house registrations there. Thousands of Thai people living and working in Phuket have house registrations in other provinces. Most of them can not get vaccinated, unless they go back to their home province. Even with two jabs, 70% of the population will never be vaccinated this year. 

You're right, I do know a family of 4 cannot get a vaccine here in Phuket

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Excel said:

The international community would do well to advise of the potential health issues for those planning on visiting this place. 

And anyone who does decide to travel would do well to check that their regular travel insurance will actually cover them. I know in UK, if the Govt advises against travelling to a country, many insurance companies have a clause excluding said country.

IMO, as much as I miss Thailand, it's all too fraught and uncertain at present........heavy sigh! ????

• Like 1

17 hours ago, smedly said:

they are deceiving the public with blatant lies and deception - a face saving attempt to cover up massive failures

their corrupt pockets are the highest priority

I hope foreigners see this for what it is and go elsewhere 

Haven’t they always, it’s a national pastime. Biggest lying nation on the planet. 

18 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

Slightly off topic, a news report 15 minutes ago on CNA stated that hundreds of Indonesian medical staff in different areas are testing positive for CV19 after all been vaccinated with Sinovac ( the popular vaccine for Indonesia and Thailand).   

And also slightly off topic, European Medical Agency EMA suggesting to drop AZ vaccine completely, citing blood clot risk and availabilty of other mRNA-vaccines. Errm, which vaccine did the goverment choose?

2 minutes ago, CLW said:

And also slightly off topic, European Medical Agency EMA suggesting to drop AZ vaccine completely, citing blood clot risk and availabilty of other mRNA-vaccines. Errm, which vaccine did the goverment choose?

4 minutes ago, CLW said:

I think they need a new plan here for ALL ........

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, BestB said:

ok, so which hotel is 600 per night?

https://asq.in.th/cheapest-sandbox-hotels

Understand that the Plus (indicating 70% or more of staff is fully vaccinated) part of the SHA Plus certification only started about a week or two ago so many of the smaller hotels (which can be expected to be the least expensive) have not yet received their SHA Plus certification.  More hotels receive the SHA Plus every day.  More people are being vaccinated every day in Phuket.

The point is that SHA Plus is not ASQ (no meals, no hospital affiliation, no included medical tests, no medical staff standing by, etc.) so one can expect that it will be considerably cheaper than ASQ.

By the way, I never said there was an SHA Plus hotel for 600 baht a night.  There probably is, but I never said there was, and will leave anyone interested to find it themselves.  The list I posted is one of several in the fast evolving SHA Plus certified hotels market that is developing in Phuket.

Edited by skatewash
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, skatewash said:

https://asq.in.th/cheapest-sandbox-hotels

Understand that the Plus (indicating 70% or more of staff is fully vaccinated) part of the SHA Plus certification only started about a week or two ago so many of the smaller hotels (which can be expected to be the least expensive) have not yet received their SHA Plus certification.  More hotels receive the SHA Plus every day.  More people are being vaccinated every day in Phuket.

The point is that SHA Plus is not ASQ (no meals, no hospital affiliation, no included medical tests, no medical staff standing by, etc.) so one can expect that it will be considerably cheaper than ASQ.

By the way, I never said there was an SHA Plus hotel for 600 baht a night.  There probably is, but I never said there was, and will leave anyone interested to find it themselves.  The list I posted is one of several in the fast evolving SHA Plus certified hotels market that is developing in Phuket.

Sorry was not you, another member "balt" said 600 per night and i am struggling to find one showing 600

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, BestB said:

Sorry was not you, another member "balt" said 600 per night and i am struggling to find one showing 600

?

You know how to search the internet for hotels?

This is for the middle of July plenty of them under 600 b a night in Phuket nice resorts.

16240082083827069495610136254542.jpg

Edited by bkk6060
  • Thanks 2

On 5/31/2021 at 9:32 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

Not sure what you're banging on about...US deaths are still about 500 a day (7 day average 638) and just reached 131 yesterday. Thailand's have NEVER been over double digits...never more than 50 in fact.

From US State Department website

image.png.120451189e5c667d560b0b577487e7ce.png