Time to buy a new Fridge Freezer – But what type – Any advice Please

Bill Poster

On 6/20/2021 at 8:36 PM, BritManToo said:

Samsung is unreliable.

My inverter fridge/freezer failed after 7 years.

The neighbours had the same fridge, failed after 6 years.

I will never buy another Samsung product.

What brand is your phone?? 55555

On 6/17/2021 at 10:58 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Why on top?

You tend to use the refrigerator part way more often than the freezer and having the freezer at the bottom lift the refrigerator compartment up where it is more accessible. 

https://www.homepro.co.th/m/p/1160139

yes I agree, but people are so funny that they keep using the old stupid style with freezer on top, that they use once a week at most...

• Like 1

Do not buy L.G. ..after 2 years my compressor gets so hot you will burn your fingers..[10 year warranty]..I went to Home PRO they gave me L/G 's service number ...700 baht for call out...they came .2 minute test said 'nothing wrong'...[10 year warranty worthless.] my second fridge [Hitachi] is excellent never gets really hot.

Edited by p414

On 6/18/2021 at 7:00 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Why?

I once bought a Samsung microwave, and just after the warranty was up, it just packed in completely.

Ever since then I have avoided buying any Samsung product apart from their phones.

• Like 1

Dual inverter will save you energy. I changed my 10-year old fridge/freeze with a "dual inverter linear compressor" model, and in 5 years the saved electric power pays fully for the new fridge/freeze that comes with a 10-year warranty...????

So in principle, after 10 years I already have enough money saved up for both paying the one I use and the next one, if I keep my old electric power budget. Not too bad, two "free of charge" American-style fridge/freezers with automatic ice-maker...????

By the way, the model was LG, I also have an LG "direct drive" laundry machine, which is both perfect and silent, and not jumping around like the old fashioned types with a mill-stone tied to their back...????

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I once bought a Samsung microwave, and just after the warranty was up, it just packed in completely.

Ever since then I have avoided buying any Samsung product apart from their phones.

#Metoo, and also TV, fridge/freezer and laundry machine...????
Perhaps Samsung's warranty periods equals lifetime warranty minus one day...????

Just ensure is "Digital Inverter" which most are these days & 10 year warranty  on the compressor.

My experience on Hitachi & Samsung have been good, but have opted for seperate small chest freezer if you have space,

Why, the freezer gets opened 6 times a week, The fridge ? well..  Feel the cold wasted air around your feet 

3 hours ago, p414 said:

Do not buy L.G. ..after 2 years my compressor gets so hot you will burn your fingers..[10 year warranty]..I went to Home PRO they gave me L/G 's service number ...700 baht for call out...they came .2 minute test said 'nothing wrong'...[10 year warranty worthless.] my second fridge [Hitachi] is excellent never gets really hot.

Well NO... It's supposed to get cool. ????????????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

10-year warranty

Often that 10 year warranty is only on the compressor.

It's obviously good that there is a long guarantee on the compressor. But is seems often something else fails long before that.

I.e. I have an aircon on which, after about 1 1/2 years, the thing which adjusts the direction of the air does not automatically move anymore. Luckily I don't care about that thing but if I would care about it then I would have to pay for the repair - because only the compressor has long warranty... 

I had a very specific requirement when I bought my Samsung 4 door fridge

RF56K9040SG/ST last year, during the first lockdown, in March or April 2020. It had to operate from a water feed for the ice maker and water. There were/are (?) only two options, the model I've mentioned, and I think an LG model.

792933352_FridgeClosed.jpg.4eadaa86b042535b83025c5e38e7a374.jpg

I like the double door opening in the top half.

1707303180_FridgeOpen.jpg.8f257bdb1ddb8706d5b2df42bd48a065.jpg

Water feed:

1432585234_FridgeFeed.jpg.be4118ba5f4dec4669f444e509e50148.jpg

Door Handles:

2033883648_FridgeHandle.jpg.e9db75209a8c1d442f33761a8a468a88.jpg

As I bought it online, I didn't have a chance to view it in person. The first issue was the non earthed plug, which I thought was rather important to have, given the water feed. Anyway, after much toing and froing, they agreed to change it to 3 pronged.

Also, the handles are not ideal, but we've got used to them; they need to be cleaned regularly. I very much like the double door aspect of the main fridge, and the option to make the freezer compartment both in the lower left and right. Currently we only use the left hand lower door section as the freezer. The right hand lower section has three options: normal fridge, lower temperature, and freezing. 

And yes, it has a digital inverter, guaranteed for 10 years.

Edited by samtam
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Often that 10 year warranty is only on the compressor.

It's obviously good that there is a long guarantee on the compressor. But is seems often something else fails long before that.

Thanks for you comment, but in my case it was the compressor that failed on the old fridge/freezer, and on one aircon (so far), probably a designed lifetime, just life smartphones...????
But always look at the bright side of life: I'm however happy that my roof wasn't designed to leak after the five years guarantee ran out...????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samtam said:

I had a very specific requirement when I bought my Samsung 4 door fridge

RF56K9040SG/ST last year, during the first lockdown, in March or April 2020. It had to operate from a water feed for the ice maker and water. There were/are (?) only two options, the model I've mentioned, and I think an LG model.

I am in the process of learning about fridges. Personally I wouldn't want that the fridge uses water from the tab for ice. You want that and that is obviously perfectly fine.

When you looked at other freezers with ice makers, did people have to manually fill up the water? Personally that is what I would prefer. When I looked at a website with fridges with ice makers I saw only models which need a water feed like you describe.

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am in the process of learning about fridges. Personally I wouldn't want that the fridge uses water from the tab for ice. You want that and that is obviously perfectly fine.

When you looked at other freezers with ice makers, did people have to manually fill up the water? Personally that is what I would prefer. When I looked at a website with fridges with ice makers I saw only models which need a water feed like you describe.

The water is filtered before it goes into the fridge. (I have a water filtration system, which is changed every three months. It feeds into the fridge and can be taken from a separate tap at the sink.)

Yes, most of the other ice maker and water fridges were filled up manually. I'm surprised you found the opposite. I was doing my research online, but what I discovered was pretty universal. Since shops reopened, I have gone to have a look, and it still seems to be the case...only 2 models with water feed.

Edited by samtam
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The local made Hitachi (about 17CF) unit we bought about a decade ago had water container in refrigerator section that pumped into freezer ice maker so that brand may work.  But ice maker did fail after several years and we did not repair - use space to store my Walls Top Ten ice cream bars now.

The type you mention above from tap could also be fed from an basic RO filter system (they have pressure tank).  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, samtam said:

The water is filtered before it goes into the fridge. (I have a water filtration system, which is changed every three months. It feeds into the fridge and from a separate tap at the sink.)

Yes, most of the other ice maker and water fridges were filled up manually. I'm surprised you found the opposite. I was doing my research online, but what I discovered was pretty universal. Since shops reopened, I have gone to have a look, and it still seems to be the case...only 2 models with water feed.

Thanks, it must have been a coincidence then. I checked a few big brand names online. I have to admit I forgot which one had those ice makers.

I am sure a filter will do the job to clean the water. Personally I think it's a question of taste. I never liked tab water even if it was perfectly filtered. I prefer bottled water and even then I like only some brands because of the taste. Luckily I like some cheap bottled water like Singha and not something expensive like Evian. 

On 6/17/2021 at 6:21 PM, KhaoYai said:

Samsung, full stop.

Agreed! We have a cheap one that works flawlessly. Freezer at the bottom, though.

Amazing step up from the old deluxe Swedish model we had! And just as quiet, if not better!

Circulating air, no condensation anywhere, and dead silent after the first 24 hours of start-up running at full tilt. 

Edited by Tord55
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, khunPer said:

#Metoo, and also TV, fridge/freezer and laundry machine...????
Perhaps Samsung's warranty periods equals lifetime warranty minus one day...????

Their fridges are surprisingly good, and the model we bought was the cheapest full-size

there was. Simple setup, no display/TV, as some have nowadays.

8 hours ago, Tord55 said:

no display/TV, as some have nowadays

I just saw a website of one of those.

About 3/4 of the description was about that display. A family calendar, receipts, and entertainment, amazing. I guess some people will pay 50k extra for that instead of 10k for a tablet... 

• Like 1

We usually make big portions & freeze meals. We also fill our suitcases every year with Costco cheese, EVOO, nuts, etc. Makro's frozen section is great, too. We should have bought the bigger, frost-free, inverter Panasonic chest freezer.

Two fridges with top freezers, not big enough. Sadly, time for a new second fridge.

Just now, unblocktheplanet said:

We usually make big portions & freeze meals. We also fill our suitcases every year with Costco cheese, EVOO, nuts, etc. Makro's frozen section is great, too. We should have bought the bigger, frost-free, inverter Panasonic chest freezer.

Two fridges with top freezers, not big enough. Sadly, time for a new second fridge.

Frozen cheese?

No more questions your honor.

• 2 years later...
On 6/23/2021 at 3:30 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I just saw a website of one of those.

About 3/4 of the description was about that display. A family calendar, receipts, and entertainment, amazing. I guess some people will pay 50k extra for that instead of 10k for a tablet... 

Our Samsung is very basic, one of the cheapest on the market here, and it has not even a display, but cool, quiet and very efficient!