Time to buy a new Fridge Freezer – But what type – Any advice Please

Bill Poster

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I prefer the freezer at the bottom which i have now, looking for a replacement and most have freezers at the top (LG, Samsung) which are not big enough. In Thailand they seem to have big fridges and small freezers, I'd prefer half and half

It seems for half and half Side-by-side refrigerators were invented.

https://www.realtor.com/advice/home-improvement/types-of-refrigerators/

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems for half and half Side-by-side refrigerators were invented.

https://www.realtor.com/advice/home-improvement/types-of-refrigerators/

Yeah I've got side by side in the UK and they are very good but here, smaller place one split fridge freezer is best, but typical thai style all manufacturers have very similar designs, not one has got a half half design

I've tried Samsung, (3) LG (1) and Hitachi (1) .... (fitting out two houses and a condo, so bought a lot of equipment).

All are dual compressor, inverter with separate controls for the fridge and freezer.  All have digital temp displays and a special veg drawer to keep veg fresh.  One Samsung has a drink dispenser.

For temperature stability and consistency plus capability to keep veg Fresh - the Samsungs are the best.  Both LG and Hitachi are prone to unwanted freezing of fruit and bottled water unless temp is set higher than I'd like.

Never use the cold water dispenser.

There probably is no reason your current unit will not last another decade - local shops can fix any model at little cost, even if compressor fails.  Our Samsung failed at 17 years and local fixed and working as good as new. 

If buying new:

1.  Hate side by side doors - never right size (too small) and you lose too much cooling even with a short opening.

2.  Freezer on bottom is much better in Thailand as cold air falls and is held in draws even when opened.  Especially true if in non airconditioned space.  Top freezer cold air falls out on every opening.

3.  Drinks are for the water cooler.  We have a unit with such.  Not used as cooler much better.

4.  Ice maker may be worthwhile for small family (you don't need dedicated unit) but in our experience did not last long before failure in local made Japanese model.  Have used dedicated units since.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Samsung is unreliable.

My inverter fridge/freezer failed after 7 years.

The neighbours had the same fridge, failed after 6 years.

I will never buy another Samsung product.

Not exactly a huge sample size.

• Like 1

Maybe I don't need to open a new thread for this.

I am looking for a good refrigerator with just a small freezer compartment. 

Basically I eat everything fresh and I don't need a freezer. Except for ice-cream and for ice-cubes.

I check a few brands online and I don't see anything like that.

I don't want to buy anything with a "big" freezer compartment if all I need is place for 2 quarts of ice-cream and some ice cubes.

promotion-swensens-%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%B1%E0

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe I don't need to open a new thread for this.

I am looking for a good refrigerator with just a small freezer compartment. 

Basically I eat everything fresh and I don't need a freezer. Except for ice-cream and for ice-cubes.

I check a few brands online and I don't see anything like that.

I don't want to buy anything with a "big" freezer compartment if all I need is place for 2 quarts of ice-cream and some ice cubes.

promotion-swensens-%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%B1%E0

Search one door fridges, loads of them

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/hitachi-ตู้เย็น-1ประตู-6-6คิว-hitachi-r-64w-bsl-เทาดำ-237722

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Samsung is unreliable.

My inverter fridge/freezer failed after 7 years.

The neighbours had the same fridge, failed after 6 years.

I will never buy another Samsung product.

My Mrs said the same, no good for make-up..

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Highly advise two door system as the single door freezer compartments do not normally keep low enough temps.  Ice cream will melt quickly if not kept at or close to -19C (although the container type shown may not need it as cold as paddle/cone type products).   How big a refrigerator are you looking at?  Smaller 2 door units have smaller freezer areas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Highly advise two door system as the single door freezer compartments do not normally keep low enough temps.  Ice cream will melt quickly if not kept at or close to -19C (although the container type shown may not need it as cold as paddle/cone type products).   How big a refrigerator are you looking at?  Smaller 2 door units have smaller freezer areas.

Not for me OMF was looking for a very small freezer compartment

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

How big a refrigerator are you looking at?  Smaller 2 door units have smaller freezer areas.

Big fridge, small freezer. Full height. At least that is my idea.

Maybe I should ask in a different way: If I have a 2 door fridge/freezer and the freezer is at least half empty (and mostly closed), does that still use a lot of energy? There is no point of paying 500B for electricity to keep 400B ice-cream cold. 

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Big fridge, small freezer. Full height. At least that is my idea.

Maybe I should ask in a different way: If I have a 2 door fridge/freezer and the freezer is at least half empty (and mostly closed), does that still use a lot of energy? There is no point of paying 500B for electricity to keep 400B ice-cream cold. 

You overcome size by filling the empty space.  Just water bottles would work.  Or even bread.  Perhaps a walk through the refrigerator department of Home Pro or such would be easier than trying to judge size on Lazada (where such things seem not often to be reported).  If you want an automatic ice maker that would also take up space.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You overcome size by filling the empty space.  Just water bottles would work.  Or even bread.  Perhaps a walk through the refrigerator department of Home Pro or such would be easier than trying to judge size on Lazada (where such things seem not often to be reported).  If you want an automatic ice maker that would also take up space.

???

Maybe I am missing something here but what would be the advantage of filling up empty space in the freezer with water bottles or anything else?

About shopping on Lazada, or online in general. I wouldn't do that before I see that thing in real. But what I like to do on the internet is to get accurate information about different devices. Because too many sales people have this bad attitude of having little knowledge but they talk a lot.

That one is better!

Why?

Because it's more expensive and because I get more commission.

Yeah, sure.

We bought a Mitsubishi after looking at numerous models.  It just happened to have the largest storage space that would fit into the cabinet built for the refrigerator.   We looked at several other models including LG, Samsung Electrolux etc.  One thing for sure, buy one that is an inverter.  We swapped out 1 air conditioner, the refrigerator, and a clothes washer all at the same time to convert to inverter models.  Our electric bill went from about 5,500 - 58,000 baht per month down to 2,200 - 2600 baht per month.   The inverter models are very very quiet.  The only negative is the AC requires pretty strict every six month cleaning. 

2 minutes ago, itsari said:

Now you mention that the freezer is so much better at the bottom I will turn my trustee singer upside down ,

Thanks for your invaluable input

If you’re not interested in the subject matter and have nothing to add why not just do one and go do some baking or something. 

• Like 2

We bought an LG GN-C422SGCL from Makro, the sticker price was about 12,000 baht (with interest 'free' payments) but the cash price was just under 10,000.

It's an excellent fridge/freezer with the freezer on top. Worth a look as it's a lot of fridge for the money.

• Like 1

I just brought an LG 112 liter it was the cheapest make in my local shop for that Size, inverter, freezer on top. Seems fine only thing it does not come with, is an egg tray, until I cut a plastic egg box to fit. around 13,500 bht, yes I could have brought it cheaper from Lazada, but any probs I can go to the shop, they delivered, unpacked, set in place, controls set and turned on. They even told me it will cost about 100b a month to run. Edit; It does have an alarm if left open to long, and some gizmo that you point a phone at, no idea and i don't care.

Edited by brianthainess

On 6/17/2021 at 11:08 PM, Bill Poster said:

Due to having a bad back and most of the heavy items seem to be in the freezer compartment , Ive always found it easier to have the freezer compartment on top

my WIFE always bends to get stuff from the lower freezer compartment

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

You overcome size by filling the empty space.  Just water bottles would work

water bottles being solid ice at -16°C come neatly when we go for shopping: 3 big bottles into the esky and stuff we bought can be kept chilled for at least 8 hours

We replaced our old fridge with a inverter fridge and a separate inverter freezer, the type like a box with a lid opening from top, like the one you find in shops. We do not use the freezer compartment in the fridge, only the separate inverter freezer. Saves us about 700 Baht/month in electricity compared to before, I attribute this to the separate freezer being way more efficient insulating.

My partner and I have had both the Hitachi and Mitsubishi 3compartment fridges and have loved them.  We currently have the Mitsubishi.  Both work very well for our needs.  We like the freezer on the bottom and the middle drawer is easy and convenient to use.  My favorite thing is the automatic ice maker--both have it.  No more filling up those small ice trays from the past century!  

31 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

We replaced our old fridge with a inverter fridge and a separate inverter freezer, the type like a box with a lid opening from top, like the one you find in shops. We do not use the freezer compartment in the fridge, only the separate inverter freezer. Saves us about 700 Baht/month in electricity compared to before, I attribute this to the separate freezer being way more efficient insulating.

I have an inverter fridge/freezer.

And a normal chest freezer.

All are used.

My total electricity bill rarely exceeds 800bht.

Edited by BritManToo