Thailand reports 3,058 new COVID-19 cases, 22 more deaths

webfact

16 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Prior to vaccination, Israel had thousands of cases every day. Today they have 27 new cases. 

The US went from 300,000 cases a day to 10,000. You are not keeping up on current events. 

Now you are just being deliberately obtuse. Of course vaccinations reduce cases. Everybody knows that and it’s not the subject being discussed.

44 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Today's local Covid19 situation in #Chonburi, a rise in cases to 142, driven primarily by market worker communities and their close contacts.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/06/18/chonburi-announces-142-new-cases-of-covid-19-primarily-driven-by-market-worker-clusters-and-their-close-contacts/

One could say that the new cases are driven primarily by people in the community but then where would we point our fingers for the blame?It could also be said that the new cases are driven by those that decide who to test.I also notice that in Sydney they are already pointing the finger of a driver who tested positive without so much as a completed investigation of what happened and they've already got the noose all prepared for him.Bloody bunch of blood thirsty vigilantes is what they are. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Unfortunately it's just going to continue on. It appears this government has accepted this and as a cost to the country they are willing to open up no matter what. Yes the west has opened up but here is why California has opened up and its based upon vaccinations covering 70% of their population. I don't believe that's even remotely possible here with the vaccination issues we are having:

Screenshot_20210617-203405_Instagram.jpg

You think it was just vaccinations? There was also massive spread of the virus resulting in immunity. 10% of the US population was infected, and it is likely to be much higher than that in undetected cases. They have probably already reached herd immunity or are close to it. Too bad for the 600K+ deaths though. 

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

Herd immunity can come from people surviving a disease, or via vaccination. Immunity is immunity, no matter where it came from. 

We are at 70 percent vaccination here and there is no herd immunity yet.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Friday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 210,782 with 1,577 deaths.

By my math, that's just under the flu's 1% death rate, e.g. 0.748166351% OMG those vaccines must be working ????

Edit: Even though those above figures of the 1,577 deaths are over 18 months, so even less on the percentage side of things, I would imagine.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

Isn't this desperation to reopen in 120 days just due to the daily increasing realization that next winter's high season is DOA? Setting that goal is just humoring and distracting the people from the obvious that when November comes the government will simply do whatever they think the situation requires, regardless of what they are saying now. Even for a government such as this, it's a tough situation, and there is no hiding how we got here.

24 minutes ago, DavisH said:

You think it was just vaccinations? There was also massive spread of the virus resulting in immunity. 10% of the US population was infected, and it is likely to be much higher than that in undetected cases. They have probably already reached herd immunity or are close to it. Too bad for the 600K+ deaths though. 

Even if that were true which I doubt, reaching natural herd immunity with which strain of the virus? If its with the ancestral strain then that does not help much with the Alpha and Delta variants gaining their foothold in the US

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

Sinovac had a 50% chance of stopping infections after the 2nd jab according to a new study by the Thai Red Cross Emerging Infectious Diseases Health Centre. Study also shows 95% of people who received both doses were protected against symptomatic infections. #โควิด19 #ซิโนแวค

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1405722648680681474

Madrasa in Yala ordered closed as many students got COVID-19

An Islamic boarding school, in Thailand’s southern border province of Yala, has been ordered to close after many students were found infected with COVID-19.

The Dawah Centre of Thailand, in Sateng Nok sub-district, also houses the madrasa, where Muslim children in the province, and from other southern provinces, have been staying to study the Koran.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/madrasa-in-yala-ordered-closed-as-many-students-got-covid-19/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Madrasa in Yala ordered closed as many students got COVID-19

An Islamic boarding school, in Thailand’s southern border province of Yala, has been ordered to close after many students were found infected with COVID-19.

The Dawah Centre of Thailand, in Sateng Nok sub-district, also houses the madrasa, where Muslim children in the province, and from other southern provinces, have been staying to study the Koran.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/madrasa-in-yala-ordered-closed-as-many-students-got-covid-19/

Just about to press the button.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, pkrv said:

They'll form a committee to figure that out of course, silly you!

No...........

You know Thailand............

They will blame a "Burmese" variant for the failure to open.

Burmese always are to blame or everything it seems.............  ????

Opposition demands more clarity over reopening risks

Opposition parties are seeking explanations over exactly what risks the country might have to face under the plan for reopening by October.

“If the premier is going to state that we ‘accept the risks of opening up’, then the people are going to need transparent information of what those risks are,” said Move Forward Party spokesman Wiroj Lakkhanaadisorn.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha stated in a televised national address that the country would reopen in 120 days, aimed at October 14, with 50 million people inoculated with a first dose by then.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/28691/opposition-demands-more-clarity-over-reopening-risks/

14 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yala is not far from Tak Bai district, where they locked down the villages due to the South African variant, I wonder which variant it is in Yala?

That would be interesting to know.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I think the guy was just having a whack at the popular sentiment on here that COVID cases and deaths in Thailand are grossly underreported -- and the anecdotes that cases of 'flu' late 2019 and early 2020 were actually COVID but never reported as such.

Yea, thanks I know, thats why I added the last option of baiting.

55 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

And years in between, not just months, is how herd immunity builds.  Just because one has a vaccination or had the virus does not mean they have built up an immunity to new variants.  Why do you think the flu vaccine changes yearly? Yes that's right to keep on building immunities, and if one does not have the vaccine you can still get the virus even if you were sick with it before. So I believe there will be vaccines available in the coming years as either a booster or for a new variant as covid changes and mutates. Many instances now of people having it once and then again becoming infected by a different variant.  No way any type of herd immunity will be just around the corner like you are hoping for.

I think his statement is correct for the current disease and he doesn't mention new variants that might make the current vaccines less effective.If new variants develop (or are developed in a lab and escape) and the current vaccines are ineffective then you are correct that tweaks will be made or new vaccines can be developed.

• Like 1

Let's see.. cases are rising, although they manipulate the cases, but everyone knows that already. Vaccination is another problem. They have vaccinated from March to now 7 million people. Lots of them have only one shot.The aim to vaccinate 93 million more before 2022, but that is 13 times more than they did in past 4 months. In this tempo it will take so 13x4 months is 52 months before everyone has got a jab, that more than 4 years...With more vaccine maybe at the end of the year it will take for sure a whole year before 70% is vaccinated.. Or am I too stupid??  

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

By my math, that's just under the flu's 1% death rate, e.g. 0.748166351% OMG those vaccines must be working ????

Edit: Even though those above figures of the 1,577 deaths are over 18 months, so even less on the percentage side of things, I would imagine.

Considering Thailands preference for testing symptomatic cases then the covid death rate might be considerably less again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Herd immunity can come from people surviving a disease, or via vaccination. Immunity is immunity, no matter where it came from. 

But if you are vaccinated, you are not immune, are you? You simply have a reduced chance of acting as a host for the virus.

and you are still missing the point. Just because 70% of a population has been vaccinated, it does not make that entire population immune. Ergo, “herd immunity” at 70% vaccinated, is a myth. The “herd” is not immune.

THAT was the point being made and which you keep avoiding.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Considering Thailands preference for testing symptomatic cases then the covid death rate might be considerably less again.

What's even more concerning for me is the more people being vaccinated with all these variants, might mean that these vaccines will become less and less effective therefore creating a super spreaders scenario, remember what happened with antibiotics ?

Edited by 4MyEgo

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

What's even more concerning for me is the more people being vaccinated with all these variants, might mean that these vaccines will become less and less effective therefore creating a super spreaders scenario, remember what happened with antibiotics ?

Antibiotics, as in used to treat bacteria?

from what I read virus are far less likely to become vaccine resistant. Maybe it’s an issue, but I think it’s quite far down the list from new variants.

• Thanks 2

The most effective mRNA vaccines are harder to store and transport. They also require specific steps to ready for injection that is not immediate. There is little room for error but you'd never know a batch was spoiled just by looking at vials. If Thailand ever does get their hands on these the likelihood that anyone but private hospitals could manage the storage, transport and preparation to inject is small. So there could be quite a few "placebo" shots happening if they start trying to roll these out in villages and shopping malls.

• Thanks 2