Bar owners in Thailand counting down the days until foreign tourists return

webfact

6 hours ago, zhounan said:

Who are those mad people who come to have their movements monitored?

I film mine every morning and upload to a website that pays for input.

I earn 100b per evacuation if its solid, less if i consumed too many Leo's the night before.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DaLa said:

BA employ 4,500 pilots. With an average life expectancy of 75 , on average 60 will pass away each year. Thats 5 a month. Presumably mostly all unrelated.

How many of the 4,500 BA pilots have their flying hours up to date to be able to jump in a plane and legally fly tomorrow?  

7 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I have this horrid feeling that the optimism is overblown and reality will be less fruitful with respect to material rewards for bar owners. I don't think tourists will come back as quickly to Phuket or Pattaya bars as they are anticipating. It took a long time to build up the tourism industry to the behemoth it became. I can't help thinking that the tourists will be looking for bargain prices not taxi mafia.

Plenty of pent up demand from former Pattaya regulars unable to come here for 12-15 months or so. 

Might not mean much in the general scheme of things but the Pattaya "ghetto" should see a benefit if things ease up to near normal.

I wonder how long the Covid discount prices will last. 

Edited by rott

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Thais are very resilient people, once the country will open up properly you'll see everything will be as they used to be and will not be able to tell that there was a Covid crises that nearly paralyzed the nation...

That has to be period of time between Thailand completely opening up, and Pattaya getting back to a pre covid economy.  What time frame do you put on it?  

Economic damage can still occur even after the borders have opened and quarantine has ended.  

2 hours ago, rott said:

Plenty of pent up demand from former Pattaya regulars unable to come here for 12-15 months or so. 

Might not mean much in the general scheme of things but the Pattaya "ghetto" should see a benefit if things ease up to near normal.

I wonder how long the Covid discount prices will last. 

Exact Coordinates.jpg

Edited by rcuthbert
Photo Edit

So how are these 'Bar owners' going to tell the difference between tourists & expats ? From what I see most of us aren't going to be getting a 1st jab until Oct/Nov but tourists fully jabbed & sort of protected will be roaming the streets already, will expats be asked for proof of vaccination like the tourists will or will the bars just wing it and hope for the best ??

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

So how are these 'Bar owners' going to tell the difference between tourists & expats

as a side note.......................it always amazed me at how good the bar owners in beer bars and the bar girls were at detecting the expat in a matter of seconds...............................shrewd operators.................

• Like 2

16 hours ago, zhounan said:

Who are those mad people who come to have their movements monitored?

I don't see the wristband idea taking off.

Surely all they need to do is check people leaving the island.....

I see a small market of people who want a resort holiday, simply spending most of their time by a hotel pool or going to the beach. I would expect domestic tourists to be more likely and those are the ones  to scupper the idea. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bojo said:

as a side note.......................it always amazed me at how good the bar owners in beer bars and the bar girls were at detecting the expat in a matter of seconds...............................shrewd operators.................

Is that 'detecting', or 'avoiding' ? Not all that difficult though really. Note, I arrived like the one on the right 11 years ago and I'm now aiming for the left hand style.  I understand my beer will be 10 baht cheaper as a full blown expat.

Screenshot 2021-06-19 at 09.06.42.png

Edited by DaLa
Missing words
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

So how are these 'Bar owners' going to tell the difference between tourists & expats ? From what I see most of us aren't going to be getting a 1st jab until Oct/Nov but tourists fully jabbed & sort of protected will be roaming the streets already, will expats be asked for proof of vaccination like the tourists will or will the bars just wing it and hope for the best ??

The tourists are the ones wearing the Chang wife beater.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Problem is that Thailand is no where near herd immunity through vaccine and an influx of tourists could accelerate the virus, particularly given that Thailand has attracted a large number of Indian tourists of late. The Delta/Indian variant spreads much faster and Thailand has yet to experience a major Covid crisis. 

But it’s encouraging to know that “dirty farangs” are now welcome in Thailand.

Are they? What about all the unnecessary hoop jumping for tourists, particularly under 50's long stayers, and retirees since these soldiers stole the country in 2014?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Please note and correct me if I am wrong, but the PM did not say 120 days from when. Perhaps he meant 120 days from when everyone in Thailand has been double-dosed, in about 2023.

Was the 1st Oct (this year) not mentioned somewhere?

On 6/18/2021 at 12:46 PM, smedly said:

an interesting situation when opening does actully happen, 120 days is not possible IMO

It happened once already months ago (bars opened) and it was dog eat dog as prices dropped - the winners being an area around LK Metro who shared out the few customers available a mixture of the stranded and the retired, I suspect the majority of which is now just the latter as most of the stranded have already left as furlough schemes come to an end and people have to get back to work

If they open in 120 days will anyone be coming - that is dependent on so many things and is as yet unclear in an ever changing pandemic, my guess would be not in any numbers that would make much of a difference

It doesn't have to actually make a difference as long as it provides sufficient grist for the propaganda mill. At this point it's down to a thin gruel, so anything helps.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DaLa said:

BA employ 4,500 pilots. With an average life expectancy of 75 , on average 60 will pass away each year. Thats 5 a month. Presumably mostly all unrelated.

Life expectancy of a pilot is well below 70 let alone 75!

Anyway just something to consider and to keep an eye on.

11 hours ago, shackleton said:

Looks like there could be a lot of bars for sale for future budding interprenors on the cheap

Why would anyone buy an existing bar / business when they can rent one of the many vacant premises, many now without key money, therefore can immediately undercut their nearby competition?   

• Like 2

15 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Are they? What about all the unnecessary hoop jumping for tourists, particularly under 50's long stayers, and retirees since these soldiers stole the country in 2014?

That joke flew over your head cobber.

On 6/18/2021 at 11:05 AM, webfact said:

She welcomed the PM's statement and was desperate to get her hands on foreign tourists' money. 

i love honesty !

On 6/18/2021 at 4:36 PM, hotchilli said:
On 6/18/2021 at 11:05 AM, webfact said:

She welcomed the PM's statement and was desperate to get her hands on foreign tourists' money. 

Yeah that's the scary bit.

i see that caught your eye as well .    Probably we would both be chasing the only slim and sexy lady in one of those fine establishments

9 hours ago, rumak said:

i see that caught your eye as well .    Probably we would both be chasing the only slim and sexy lady in one of those fine establishments

Possibly the opposite, the slim and sexy ladies will be chasing the only tourist down the street.

• Like 1