Thailand will have one million electric cars by 2028

webfact

On 6/18/2021 at 11:21 AM, Excel said:

That's it, closing my account at Krungsri, one of my banks stating that they have a "thinktank" must be false news

Hey, I seriously wanted to apologize about the other day. I was just goofing around like an idiot and I shouldn't have. This forum and all the members have been very good to assist me many times and it was not warranted. I was just in one of these days I guess...

So, again I'm sorry.

I tried to PM you but couldn't somehow. So, I might as well admit my mistake in public then ????

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Then virtually any EV will get you there and back with plenty of capacity to spare.

But my existing 2001 Ford Ranger pickup will do that easily and won't need recharging when I get home.

Do all these people saying that EVs are the future ever think about how the millions of existing ICE vehicles will be disposed of?

21 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But my existing 2001 Ford Ranger pickup will do that easily and won't need recharging when I get home.

Do all these people saying that EVs are the future ever think about how the millions of existing ICE vehicles will be disposed of?

What an odd argument.  Even if we stick with ICE forever all the millions of existing ICE vehicles will need to be disposed of at some point, just the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Did Henry Ford ever think about what would happen to horses and buggies?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I'm assuming that occasionally your Ford Rangers needs to be refilled? And that's something you can't do at home.

• Like 2

I have Hyundai Ioniq (2020) electric car with 38kW battery. Under a year, and have issues with broken plastic parts and front doors which already have some rust spots. Good thing is consumption, which Hyundai does better than other manufacturers. I don't recommend to buy it if you live somewhere where temperature is

less than 0 Celsius. I don't love the car and have it only because of tax benefits. Sooner or later benefits dissapears, and I think we need some other options than electric in cold climate. Re-fuel, bio gas, hydrogen are probably to way to go if no new way to charge batteries (without losing capasity) appears.

In Thailand my Hyundai would be great, but a lot of charging stations are needed in future, and a question is does goverment give any benefits to build charging network around the country.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

What an odd argument.  Even if we stick with ICE forever all the millions of existing ICE vehicles will need to be disposed of at some point, just the same.

Yes but over a much longer period of time and the support system is in place for that. People buy new cars, other people buy the second and third hand etc vehicles.

If people can only buy new EVs there is no trade in to become 2nd and 3rd hand for a few years.

Then of course there is the problem of actually paying for the EV. I have no doubt that many rich and middle income people will buy them, but for the poorer people, and there are millions more of the, such as the farmers and daily workers in rural Thailand and elsewhere it will simply not be possible.

That could well end up with thousands of unsold EVs and millions of people with no money to buy them. What will happen to all the ICE techs and mechanics when there are no ICEs to work on.

What about all the tractors and farm machinery? Will they have to go electric as well?

Governments simply say that after this date there will be no more ICE vehicles built or sold without considering the other businesses that are involved.

What will happen if the governments decree that from a certain date there will be no more ICE fuel sold? 

What will happen to the people who own and work at gas stations even down to the Mom and Pop shops who sell fuel from 200 litre drums and even by the bottle?

What will happen to all the supertankers and their crews?

Governments simply saying something doesn't make it happen magically.

What about the loss in fuel tax to the governments if there is no ICE fuel to be taxed? It is all interconnected and like a row of dominos if you knock one down others may follow.

It might make the Greens and the snowflakes happy for a while until a new government tax tax on xyz is announced.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 3:58 PM, placeholder said:

The Tesla S has a range of up to almost 900 kilometers. So it has more uses than just as a runabout. And of course, huge progress is being made on batteries. By 2025 solid state batteries will almost certainly be in use. They can store at least twice as much energy as the most advanced current lithium ion batteries. are not flammable, and can be charged quickly.

To my knowledge they have been trying to come up with a solid state battery for the last 50 years, and they will be available in 3 1/2 tears, I will just hold my beer and watch, lol.

Seriously I think the replacement for hydrocarbon based fuel will be Hydrogen. Briefly generate Hydrogen from water using renewable energy, convert hydrogen to ammonium (NH3) as a liquid for transport. Fill car with ammonia and then catalyse back to hydrogen, fuel cell and a hybrid type vehicle with a smallish battery. That I can believe as opposed to pure EV. Oh and there are companies working on this now, like Aramco, Total, BP, Chevron, Hyundai, Toyota that I know of.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

I'm assuming that occasionally your Ford Rangers needs to be refilled? And that's something you can't do at home.

You are correct but there are literally thousands of gas stations in Thailand and my nearest is about 500 metres away.

How many EV charging points are there in Thailand, especially off the main roads?

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automobiles/Big-business-in-Thailand-bets-on-government-s-lofty-EV-goals#:~:text=One fast-growing field in,stations nationwide at the moment.

One fast-growing field in Thailand is the EV infrastructure business. The Energy Ministry says there are 1,200 EV charging stations nationwide at the moment. The government does not have a specific target for how many EV stations there should be. Most EV stations are being built by private companies eager to cash in on rising demand, and the government does have an official policy to promote EVs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Habbo said:

In Thailand my Hyundai would be great, but a lot of charging stations are needed in future, and a question is does goverment give any benefits to build charging network around the country.

The PTT Public Company Limited (PTT) has already started building an EV charging network. I am optimistic that they will operate it efficiently. 

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

...One fast-growing field in Thailand is the EV infrastructure business. The Energy Ministry says there are 1,200 EV charging stations nationwide at the moment...

I guess there is a map of these 1,200 EV charging stations somewhere on the Internet, but I cannot find it. Anybody got the link to it?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, mine too, and it can go up a hill!????

Tesla's Model S Performance is the fastest-accelerating production car. The luxury sedan reaches 60 mph in just 2.4 seconds, which outperforms every supercar available today. Tesla maximizes efficiency at every stage and uses software to unlock the battery's maximum power output to achieve its impressive acceleration.

https://www.businessinsider.com/teslas-fastest-accelerating-production-cars-2020-4

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Tesla's Model S Performance is the fastest-accelerating production car. The luxury sedan reaches 60 mph in just 2.4 seconds, which outperforms every supercar available today. Tesla maximizes efficiency at every stage and uses software to unlock the battery's maximum power output to achieve its impressive acceleration.

https://www.businessinsider.com/teslas-fastest-accelerating-production-cars-2020-4

And that is it done with for 16 hours?

I understand they are much improved since the Top Gear team ridiculed them.... and improve all the time.....

22 hours ago, Saltire said:

I would love to be able to buy a fully electric car, but at the moment it would need to be a Tesla to be able take me from home to Makro and back on a charge.

I can't afford a Tesla.

Easy.

Move next to Makro.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, billd766 said:

Yes but over a much longer period of time and the support system is in place for that. People buy new cars, other people buy the second and third hand etc vehicles.

If people can only buy new EVs there is no trade in to become 2nd and 3rd hand for a few years.

Then of course there is the problem of actually paying for the EV. I have no doubt that many rich and middle income people will buy them, but for the poorer people, and there are millions more of the, such as the farmers and daily workers in rural Thailand and elsewhere it will simply not be possible.

That could well end up with thousands of unsold EVs and millions of people with no money to buy them. What will happen to all the ICE techs and mechanics when there are no ICEs to work on.

What about all the tractors and farm machinery? Will they have to go electric as well?

Governments simply say that after this date there will be no more ICE vehicles built or sold without considering the other businesses that are involved.

What will happen if the governments decree that from a certain date there will be no more ICE fuel sold? 

What will happen to the people who own and work at gas stations even down to the Mom and Pop shops who sell fuel from 200 litre drums and even by the bottle?

What will happen to all the supertankers and their crews?

Governments simply saying something doesn't make it happen magically.

What about the loss in fuel tax to the governments if there is no ICE fuel to be taxed? It is all interconnected and like a row of dominos if you knock one down others may follow.

It might make the Greens and the snowflakes happy for a while until a new government tax tax on xyz is announced.

Nobody is saying all second hand vehicles will have to be off the road - that is ridiculous.  Nobody is saying you will HAVE to buy an electric vehicle for every single use.  Nothing is mandated.  But gradually we will see more and more hybrid vehicles replacing 100% petrol engines - it is happening and will continue to happen as manufacturers move in that direction.  No one is stopping the sale of fuel overnight.  No one is coming to crush your petrol or diesel car and force you to buy an electric car.  No-one is going to force all farmers to use electric farm vehicles (especially considering they don't exist and are not practical).  Ships and planes are not going electric any time soon either.  The sky is not falling.

The rest of your post makes you sound like a Luddite.  "What about the petrol station workers, what about mom and pop selling fuel, what about the supertanker workers"?  Industries and technology evolve. 

What about the miners?  Should we go back to burning coal?  
What about the people working in printing presses?  Should we un-invent the internet?

What about people working in film?  Kodak.  The mom and pop photo processing shops.  The people who made the chemicals to process film.   Should we not have progressed with digital technology?  
What about travel agents?  What about the people who made holiday brochures?  Damn, we should have stopped websites being invented that enabled people to book their own hotels and flights so easily.

Robots in manufacturing.  Made things so more more efficient and affordable.  And made things more reliable.  No doubt you would have stopped those because "what about the people working on repetitive tasks?"

I think you get my point.  People re-train, industries progress, evolve, change, and - yes - die.  My own industry has changed immensely in the last 10-12 years due to technology.  Some competitors didn't adapt, stuck to their old models and went under.  Their staff got other jobs, no one starved.  We didn't whinge about the technology, we adapted to it.  

Seems like if you were in charge we would stand still.  We'd still be paying over the odds for our holidays, we would still have massive air pollution due to coal burning, global warming would be out of control, our cars would be made by unionised workers and would fall apart in 10 years (look at British Leyland etc), we'd still have to wait a few days to view our holiday snaps etc.  No thanks, bring on the progress.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

That must be a wonderful car to have?

How much dos it cost OTR and how many dealers are ere in Thailand?

On 6/20/2021 at 1:02 PM, Saltire said:

I would love to be able to buy a fully electric car, but at the moment it would need to be a Tesla to be able take me from home to Makro and back on a charge.

I can't afford a Tesla.

Keep an eye out for BYD EA1 if you looking for a small car the BYD Tang for 7 seater SUV. Both are capable of during 500km on a full charge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

These kinds of acceleration speeds are dangerous especially as these vehicles become more common and more affordable. 

I don't get what Tesla are trying to achieve here? I can't see where that kind of performance appeals to the average Tesla buyer?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gedster said:

Keep an eye out for BYD EA1 if you looking for a small car the BYD Tang for 7 seater SUV. Both are capable of during 500km on a full charge.

Are there any dealers here in Thailand and have you any idea of the OTR prices?