Thailand will have one million electric cars by 2028

webfact

4 hours ago, Excel said:

That's it, closing my account at Krungsri, one of my banks stating that they have a "thinktank" must be false news

I moved from Krungsri years ago... 699 baht per year for the cheapest bank card... 

SCB 200 baht per year.

Roll that out over all their customers and it's some profit they make with just annual card renewals.

Just now, hotchilli said:

I moved from Krungsri years ago... 699 baht per year for the cheapest bank card... 

SCB 200 baht per year.

Roll that out over all their customers and it's some profit they make with just annual card renewals.

As matter of principal I would never dealings with SCB

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Oxx said:

"At your expense"? At whose expense do you think it should be recharged? Perhaps it should be free, like petrol and diesel are at the moment.

With the lack of re-charging stations nationwide.. it will be down to you to charge mainly at home.

Maybe not at the same rate you would find at a station.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pegman said:

Where will the electric power come from? 

A hybrid car does not have to be plugged into an electrical outlet unless it is a plug-in hybrid. The generator driven by the internal combustion engine charges the battery.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Will be reliable and what sources will be used? 

Will it be coal fired, hydro electric, solar, biomass generation etc?

Out here where I live we usually get 4 or 5 power outages a month. To make it work the electricity companies need to start upgrading the whole network asap.

How will people in hi-rise tower blocks be able to recharge their electric vehicles unless, they have a dedicated parking slot with its own charger and metered supply?

Well apart from all that what's the problem?  

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Almer said:

Electric cars, they cant even mend motorbike back lights.

And how many will switch the lights off at night to save the battery?

Ever been to the Philippines or Brunei??

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, LNKDES1 said:

I'm totally for E'Vs. I drove a Chevy Bolt in the U.S. for 3 years & loved it. Charged it every night at home. But the only way I can see this number being attained is if the government lowers the import tax/duty on EV's. Otherwise this number is just a pipedream. 

No problem unless it is forgotten already the "Great Wall" factory in the south will be working overtime in a monopoly market !

Out come the Crystal balls again.

If I were  betting man, not that it's permitted in Thailand, I'd bet 10 baht this will fall flat on it's proverbial.

One question though...is a hybrid considered to be an electric vehicle? Doesn't it have a petrol or diesel engine? 

Oh, another question...Don't hybrids have the same local emissions as a normal petrol or diesel engined vehicle?

Sorry, another question, would a solar panel on top of the car help with range?

6 hours ago, pegman said:

Where will the electric power come from? 

a long extension cable hanging from the 22nd floor of the Chinese owned condo. It will easily blend in with all the other hanging cables in the street.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Out come the Crystal balls again.

If I were  betting man, not that it's permitted in Thailand, I'd bet 10 baht this will fall flat on it's proverbial.

One question though...is a hybrid considered to be an electric vehicle? Doesn't it have a petrol or diesel engine? 

Oh, another question...Don't hybrids have the same local emissions as a normal petrol or diesel engined vehicle?

Sorry, another question, would a solar panel on top of the car help with range?

If the solar panel was 100 x 100 metres, maybe.

6 hours ago, placeholder said:

As opposed to the free gasoline and diesel that car owners now enjoy?

I didn't mean you get free fuel now, that's obvious.

What I meant was now there a few if any recharging stations in the country, yet they want you to buy electric cars.

If you own your own "ground level" house fine, you can plug it in at home... but that will be at a slow rate of charge on a normal domestic capacity.

What do you do if you live in a condo or apartment block, dangle an extension lead out of the window down to where your car might be parked????

Thailand will wait as usual for another country such as Japan or China who are manufacturing electric cars to come and install infrastructure as part of the package.

Or they will make the gas stations such as Esso, PTT, Shell etc install them at there cost.

• Like 2

Thailand like most countries will have to  either build some more reliable coal fired power plants, or

get a couple nuclear power plants. I doubt that solar or wind energy will be enough. The country is mostly

flat, so except for in the mountains, hydro electricity is out as well.  I hope there are some deep thinkers who

will be able to solve the problems, or Thailand will have lots of power failures on a grand scale.

Geezer

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I didn't mean you get free fuel now, that's obvious.

What I meant was now there a few if any recharging stations in the country, yet they want you to buy electric cars.

If you own your own "ground level" house fine, you can plug it in at home... but that will be at a slow rate of charge on a normal domestic capacity.

What do you do if you live in a condo or apartment block, dangle an extension lead out of the window down to where your car might be parked????

Thailand will wait as usual for another country such as Japan or China who are manufacturing electric cars to come and install infrastructure as part of the package.

Or they will make the gas stations such as Esso, PTT, Shell etc install them at there cost.

Then why raise the issue of cost at all?

"I bet you have to plug-it in at home at your expense to recharge it."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, bangon04 said:

a long extension cable hanging from the 22nd floor of the Chinese owned condo. It will easily blend in with all the other hanging cables in the street.

Youll need  one with 10  other sockets to accomodate the rice  cooker, fan , charger for  phone etc etc etc....old  bell wire should be ok though!

• Haha 1

I actually think it is achievable. Note it did say 93% would be hybrids, so only 70,000 all electric. They may also not all be plugin hybrids. It would only require 100,000 electric vehicles to be manufactured a year, and it is likely a lot might be Chinese imports anyway. The realistic part is that no sane person will buy an all electric car in Thailand currently with it's <deleted> recharging infrastructure, unless you are going to use it only as a city runabout.

There are currently nearly 19 million registered vehicles in Thailand (so 1% electric), and this will presumably grow. So one million would only be 5% or less. We know that many Thai predictions are ridiculous, but this one could happen. May not, but better chance than most.