Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go and live in some of the villages in the outback they are permanently pished

I think I can.   As Thailand is a Buddhist country and has a solid conservative core, many older Thais view drinking as a sin.   Hence why, since the ultra right-wing conservative

Anyone can shed some light on why Thailand has such a problem with alcohol?!   - No alcohol in quarantine (only country in the world) - No alcohol in restaurants (treat serving food dif

Posted Images

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

Go and live in some of the villages in the outback they are permanently pished

Their own moonshine!!!.......Father in law invited me to sit in one night with the 'gang'.......no way Giuseppe 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe someone with specific knowledge will add to this but a good friend of mine is an Alcoholic. He goes to AA meetings almost everywhere he is and that includes while he has been living here.

 

Now for those of you that don't know how to help yourself if you are an alcoholic, you first have to admit to those at the meeting that you are an alcoholic. Don't know but that must take some guts to do first time.   I asked my pal about AA meetings for Thais and he did say there are several but as a rule not as well attended as other meeting around the world that he has attended.  His explanation for that is that as we all know Thais suffer from the "Face" issue so if it takes guts for others to stand up and admit he or she is an alcoholic think what it takes for a Thai. Maybe that is one reason there are so many alcoholics . I don't know whether that has any impact or not as I m not an alcoholic but maybe  some further input from members that are could enlighten us further

  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Disparate Dan said:

In any case Thais get sit-faced on half a bottle of the local rats p1ss.

 

What's an alcoholic anyway? Someone who drinks more than their doctor.........

Please don't take parts of my post out of context for what is a very serious problem

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember prohibition in the USA - that worked well ...

Alcohol abuse is a public health and a social services problem. The causes are many and varied - almost as many and varied as the number of people on the planet.

Bans don't work - when I was young drinking age 21 - we had no problem getting booze.

Drugs Illegal - no problem for the world getting them either.

People got to wake up, treat the causes not the problem.

Go out to eat - drink Coca Cola OK but not beer.

PLEEEEZE !

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ed strong said:

Yes is bizarre, you either embrace it or ban it, however its a great tool for control. I think they just like to reinstall that they are in control and can issue whatever orders they like without complaints or any reprecusions.

 

You can be sure that these officials are not drinking either, yeh right, one rule for them and another for everyone else.

 

There's also the matter that most people whom are drunk have liittle awareness for following or even understanding the rules or what is expected of them at any one time.

And the last paragraph is the reason for not opening the bars Etc during this Covid outbreak.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, sipi said:

I believe the 14.00 to 17.00 curfew was bought in originally to stop school kids buying alcohol.

Other than that I got no idea.

 

Oh yes, I do remember when I was a school kid how every day after school, (which finished at 2 pm🙄), that the first thing I did was go along to the wine shop, and bought a vat of vodka...said no one.

 

 

5 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Remember prohibition in the USA - that worked well ...

Alcohol abuse is a public health and a social services problem. The causes are many and varied - almost as many and varied as the number of people on the planet.

Bans don't work - when I was young drinking age 21 - we had no problem getting booze.

Drugs Illegal - no problem for the world getting them either.

People got to wake up, treat the causes not the problem.

Go out to eat - drink Coca Cola OK but not beer.

PLEEEEZE !

 

Exactly, Coke and any of that stuff is lethal. There's nothing wrong with water.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, samtam said:

 

Oh yes, I do remember when I was a school kid how every day after school, (which finished at 2 pm🙄), that the first thing I did was go along to the wine shop, and bought a vat of vodka...said no one.

 

 

 

Exactly, Coke and any of that stuff is lethal. There's nothing wrong with water.

Says the girl at 7/11 when the curfew was first introduced.

You weren't there.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Go and live in some of the villages in the outback they are permanently pished

Have a " Thai uncle".....about 50....seriously alcoholic......paralytic all day everyday.......few years ago he got it into his drunken little head that his next door neighbor was having an affair with his wife........shot him the chest at point blank range...dead obviously.........that was on the Tuesday afternoon......by Wednesday evening he was in jail, sentenced to five years......he is now out of jail, worse than ever and living next door to the widow and her children!!!!!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Well some of those restrictions listed are quarantine related and will disappear................... leaving ordering online and the time ban.

 

I can understand no ordering online.........so the only mystery is the time ban.....which I agree seem crazy.......if they don't want school kids to buy alcohol (sensible) you make it a severely punishable offense for the shop owners to sell it school kids.

The law (or some of it is this) apparently shops selling alcohol should not be within I think 1 km from a school or near a temple, bizarrely the bottle shop we use is directly opposite a temple & a lot less than a km from a school entrance, not 50 metres away either side are a 7/11, Tesco Express & Mini big C, you can guarantee that between the prohibited hours you will not be able to buy booze from the 3 mentioned mini marts but can wander into the bottle shop and buy whatever you desire. Totally bizarre.😎

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Golden Triangle said:

The law (or some of it is this) apparently shops selling alcohol should not be within I think 1 km from a school or near a temple, bizarrely the bottle shop we use is directly opposite a temple & a lot less than a km from a school entrance, not 50 metres away either side are a 7/11, Tesco Express & Mini big C, you can guarantee that between the prohibited hours you will not be able to buy booze from the 3 mentioned mini marts but can wander into the bottle shop and buy whatever you desire. Totally bizarre.😎

Similar line.......we are in the Deep Red zone, Khlong Toei.......quite a few bars and restaurants operating as normal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure why they bother, every Thai village has its source of Lao Khao. No working day is complete without a 5 baht bottle.

Every village also has its share of idiots, due to fetal alcohol syndrome. Perhaps that's why Thailand has so many flag officers.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember drinking beer on the trains in the early eighties, and I remember buying beer at any hour of the day or night.

But I can't remember when restrictions came into play.

I can remember the first time we couldn't buy alcohol in the afternoon and was quite surprised.

2006 perhaps?

Edit. No it wasn't that early. 2016?

My memory fails me.

Edited by sipi
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, sipi said:

Says the girl at 7/11 when the curfew was first introduced.

You weren't there.

I think it was more a problem with Mum and Dad sending the kid to the shop for alcohol, not for themselves.

I remember when it was introduced but just can't remember exactly when or the full story, except it was to do with kids.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking back.

Having an ice cold beer on the train chugging through the rice paddys on a steaming hot day with a few friends without getting drunk was a great day out.

How times have changed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

And the last paragraph is the reason for not opening the bars Etc during this Covid outbreak.

 

Seems to be working ok in every other country, its only Thailand that banned it, whats diffrent about Thailand or the Thai people?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Go and live in some of the villages in the outback they are permanently pished

Yeah go north no problems if you know where to go just like anything else you would like to do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WineOh said:

I think I can.

 

As Thailand is a Buddhist country ...


Much appreciated!

 

i am mainly annoyed at the fact that I had to transport and smuggle an extra baggage full of red wine bottles into my ASQ hotel.

 

( also cannot shop big quantities when I happen to be in the supermarket at 14:01)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...