129,000 foreign tourists to visit Phuket by end of September

Jonathan Fairfield

You don't understand the logic.

They will take one airplane with 300 passengers.

It will land in Phuket, take off, land, take off, land, take off.

Do it 100 times with the same people sitting in the aircraft, doing their quarantine there and it will be 30,000 passengers.

Do it with 4 aircraft and here we go, 120,000 tourists.

• Haha 2

As the final details of the opening are not as yet published Consulates around the world will not be approving any COE's. People will be waiting to see how it works before commiting. Insurance is a problem, expensive and much dearer than Thai people pay in country. Somewhat a rip off. A lot of countries still require quarantine on return from foreign parts so hardly worth a 2 week holiday with that restriction. Many countries have restrictions on people leaving. I think the Sandbox may attract expats trying to return home to families etc.

But I have know idea how these people have a clue of how many visitors there will be. I suggest the Thai Government consider a more acceptable price for insurance as the type of travellers that may come would be aiming to stay in Thailand for weeks after Phuket. 

Where do they get these numbers from. I want to meet those mentally handicapped tourists that are coming and doing a 14 day quarantine and paying  a crazy hotel price. They charge you per person in a double room now. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Xmas said:

As the final details of the opening are not as yet published Consulates around the world will not be approving any COE's. People will be waiting to see how it works before commiting. Insurance is a problem, expensive and much dearer than Thai people pay in country. Somewhat a rip off. A lot of countries still require quarantine on return from foreign parts so hardly worth a 2 week holiday with that restriction. Many countries have restrictions on people leaving. I think the Sandbox may attract expats trying to return home to families etc.

But I have know idea how these people have a clue of how many visitors there will be. I suggest the Thai Government consider a more acceptable price for insurance as the type of travellers that may come would be aiming to stay in Thailand for weeks after Phuket. 

I paid 6000 baht for the required 90 day C19 insurance. I thought it was okay.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

With the island gearing up to welcome vaccinated foreign tourists from July 1, officials predicted that 600,000 people will visit Phuket in the coming months, including 500,000 domestic Thai tourists and 129,000 foreign tourists, generating some 15 billion baht for the local economy, Phuket governor Narong Woonciew said.

That's some vision they have... or is it the Everly Brothers syndrome..

"Earlier this week, tourism officials said the majority of foreign tourists who visit Thailand via the Phuket Sandbox project will come from Europe and the United States, with tourists from China not expected until the fourth quarter."

They really don't do their homework do they:-

"The number of days varies from employer to employer, but on average, US workers receive around 10 days of paid holiday each year. In addition, this holiday time is often accrued, which means that US staff will need to be working in their job for 12 months before they're entitled to 10 days of holiday."

• Like 1

No booze in the bars. A wrist band tracker that tells the authorities exactly where a tourist is. COE's, and mandatory insurance. 14 days quarantine, there and possibly back. Yeah right, I can see 129,000 tourists panting to get to Phuket in September.

• Like 1

A lot of negativity here. I went through ASQ in Bangkok. I don't want to repeat it. Say what you want about the SB, but it's still a huge improvement on ASQ. 

YES, no regular tourists will come, plenty of people visiting family will use it though rather than doing ASQ. 

• Like 2

Isn't that the same figures, i.e. 129,000 tourists in third quarter, as was mentioned earlier in the week, but without adjustments for later news saying that 50 percent of pre-bookings already cancelled, and that those hotels opening in the sandbox-program said that they only have 20 percent bookings, and THAI stating that on their four flights from Europe during first week all together 100 seats were booked...????

129,000 during a quarter equals 43,000 a month, which will be around 10,000 incoming tourists a week. To me the 129,000 figure sounds more like the total capacity. 10,000 incoming tourists a week would be in the area of 30-40 flights if you count between 250 and up to 350 seats available in an aircraft; how many other flight routes are there besides the eight weekly known from latest news articles, i.e. four flights from/via Doha, and four THAI flights direct from Europe?

"""""With the island gearing up to welcome vaccinated foreign tourists from July 1, officials predicted that 600,000 people will visit Phuket in the coming months, including 500,000 domestic Thai tourists and 129,000 foreign tourists, generating some 15 billion baht for the local economy, Phuket governor Narong Woonciew said. """"""

Then the 500,000 domestic tourists mix with the 129,000 international tourists in the Phuket sand box, the winning number will be ..... Covid spread to more Thailand

Calling this a sandbox is an understatement

Edited by ICELANDMAN

1 hour ago, kotsak said:

Wondering from which orifice have they pulled these numbers from.. ????

Most likely airline information and hotel bookings. Which orifice do you get your information from that these numbers are not correct?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

The clown who came up with those figures must be an Everly brothers fan....... Dream dream dream.????????????????????

“Approximately” 129,000 visitors? 120,000 or 130,000 would make more sense, no? Where do they get those fanciful figures anyway?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

This figure was quoted a couple of weeks ago. No idea why it's being repeated.

But, according to one particular newspaper which I'm not allowed to link to, the figure is out of date already, as the TAT is anticipating 600,000 visitors during the same period. Yes, 600,000!

The article also reveals expected expenditure of 15 billion baht. That's 25,000 baht per head or less than 2,000 baht a day, and that includes SHA+ accommodation.

With around 40 international flight arrivals a week that mean that each of these flights would be carrying over 500 passengers.

Hopefully another news source will publish this so it will appear on the pages of Thaivisa as the LOL number could reach a record high!

The 600k figure is mentioned in the OP, but that includes 500k domestic travellers.

which is just as unlikely I feel. A domestic tourist needs 2 sinovac or one AZ jab to be able to visit Phuket, or a negative recent test, or quarantine on the island. Presumably quarantine would be at your hotel, rubbing shoulders with all the other guests free to roam the island? 

Anyway, I digress. Suffice to say I think both are unlikely. There are next to none domestic visitors at the moment, I walked kata beach yesterday morning and kata noi today and there were no apparent tourists either time.

So why would domestic tourists suddenly decide to come, at the same time as international tourists decide to come? The decisions of both groups are independent of each other. The sandbox scheme has no impact on the ability of domestic tourists to come to Phuket.

It’s just nonsense again.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

"""""With the island gearing up to welcome vaccinated foreign tourists from July 1, officials predicted that 600,000 people will visit Phuket in the coming months, including 500,000 domestic Thai tourists and 129,000 foreign tourists, generating some 15 billion baht for the local economy, Phuket governor Narong Woonciew said. """"""

Then the 500,000 domestic tourists mix with the 129,000 international tourists in the Phuket sand box, the winning number will be ..... Covid spread to more Thailand

Calling this a sandbox is an understatement

It does seem silly that international tourists can mix with local tourists, but have to stay in Phuket for 14 days. If domestic tourists leave the island, then by proxy so are the international tourists, because the virus can travel with the domestic guys.

• Like 1