129,000 foreign tourists to visit Phuket by end of September

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, Ned Ludd said:

So you are not aware of the fact that even if you are vaccinated you can contract Covid and even pass it on? Vaccination will just help protect you from being really ill and possibly dying. You can catch it and still pass it on to someone who has not been vaccinated.

The vaccine is highly effective in preventing death from Covid and from passing it on but it is still possible to catch it, pass it on  and even die. That's why the drug companies quote figures of effectiveness. If you have had the Chinese or Russian it is a 50/50 deal.

Yes, you can still catch and pass on, but no, it will not just help to protect from being really I'll. Chances of getting infected and infecting others reduce dramatically as well.

Good news: Bali will try to re-open during July. I won't be going to either Phuket or Bali, but I know which I would prefer, and it sure isn't the Thai one.

Bali is where any Euro or Aussie tourists will be. Phuket - only a few dozen Chinese behind a flag. No thanks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, allyoops said:

A lot are doubting the figures, as far as I'm concerned they must be based on bookings. It is likeley the people wanting to go to Phuket will be those who are looking for a quiet beach holiday, not everyone wants the night life. Now would be the ideal time for them.

The rainy season and rough seas on the tourist popular west coast beaches are a bit of a bummer though.

kata beach was clean yesterday morning, only saw 3 tar balls, kata noi this morning was a trash tip and quite a few tar balls. Wind had changed.

got rained on yesterday on the way back from the beach, only cloudy this morning, but looks like it’s about to rain heavily this afternoon.

there’s a reason it’s low season now and it’s variable weather and dangerously rough seas.

some people may still enjoy it of course, for walks and surfing for instance. But it’s not ideal for some.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

People are definitely looking at coming to Phuket from our own property listed on the OTA's people viewing is up over the last 30 days where they are from I dont know it doesn't tell me that

It will be interesting to see if that translates to bookings. I’m guessing some will look, be interested, but then see all the rules and regulations and give it a pass.

maybe not though.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Charlie Halliday said:

Beyond a joke. Nobody is coming on these terms. Not even 1.

Not even 1 ?  Hmmm ... I had a friend back in January fly to Thailand on an STV, do the quarantine, and visit me in Phuket.   Back in January restrictions were much more restrictive than what is being proposed on 1-July.

What should I do - tell him to undo his trip with a time machine?  Or is he not 'one' person?

Ok - I am being sarcastic (and you are exaggerating).  And YES I agree that the numbers of tourists arriving will be low - but the authorities have to start somewhere while still trying to protect the people. That is why they are calling this a 'sandbox' as they test their ideas and the risks/consequences - with a heavy degree on caution.  

Do I believe 129,000 foreign tourists by end-September ?  No, but going forward with the very restrictive 1-July-2021 opening is at least a start in the right direction to help the local economy, and hopefully as weeks go by the restrictions will lessen.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, jvs said:

So they want to mix 500 000 not vaccinated Thai tourists with 129 000 fully vaccinated

foreigners,?very interesting.

Or do the Thai tourists also need to be vaccinated?

Not a good idea in my book.

I had the same question: what are the rules for visiting thais?

6 hours ago, Caldera said:

120,000 returning Thais and expats plus 9,000 bona fide tourists? I can see that happening, okay...

No, 90010 foreigners who didn't read the small print

6 hours ago, jvs said:

So they want to mix 500 000 not vaccinated Thai tourists with 129 000 fully vaccinated

foreigners,?very interesting.

Or do the Thai tourists also need to be vaccinated?

Not a good idea in my book.

I had the same question: what are the rules for visiting thais?

7 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

They must have ordered a lot of those tagging wristbands.

No Covid wrist bands Hand out will be. Just like Covid  vaccine  Rollout delays excuses and the none serviceable app,merry go round with clowns operating,  but no need t worry most tourists staying home 

what are they basing these numbers on? july/aug/sept are the low season, and when I go during these months there are very few tourists around.

why would people from europe or elsewhere make the trip to phuket when the weather is good in their home locales now, and dont have the crazy restrictions of phuket.

if the government gets most thais jabbed by high season and drops all the hurdles, maybe they can get tourists here during the colder months back home.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, poskat said:

what are they basing these numbers on? july/aug/sept are the low season, and when I go during these months there are very few tourists around.

why would people from europe or elsewhere make the trip to phuket when the weather is good in their home locales now, and dont have the crazy restrictions of phuket.

if the government gets most thais jabbed by high season and drops all the hurdles, maybe they can get tourists here during the colder months back home.

Also, do the flights have to be non stop to Phuket, as I looked on expedia, the only flights from Europe to Phuket is either thru Dubai, Doha, Abu Dhabi, Istanbul and Singapore, just to name a few. Also Cathay doesn't have any direct flights to Phuket.

3 minutes ago, dsj said:

Also, do the flights have to be non stop to Phuket, as I looked on expedia, the only flights from Europe to Phuket is either thru Dubai, Doha, Abu Dhabi, Istanbul and Singapore, just to name a few. Also Cathay doesn't have any direct flights to Phuket.

the following are planned BA to Phuket, the other airlines go from their hubs to Phuket (Singapore, Qatar and Emirates also EL Al) then their is Thai airways from certain places to Phuket.

Edited by beano2274

Just because they come up with a plan...it  is assummed a s success.

It is still a quarantine outside your room. It will attract few who wants to return to their place of residence in Thailand. or other visitors who want just stay on Phuket only for the duration of their stay in Thailand.

They seem to be all missing few main issues for the regular tourist:

1. Cost of the quarantine- No freebies..14 days 5 stars in Phuket  $$$$$$

2.Inability to move to the rest of the country with high level infection .(not fun)

2. the hassle returning home and being quarantine again. (headache and more $$$$)

there will be some arrivals for sure  but not in the large number as they predicted. It is just nothing but the old rules with a flavor.  let me 5555555 for all these numbers of arrivals.

Looking at the picture of the article - great hotel on the beach...

it is  for sure a 5 star hotel. costing more than $150/ night

Phuket has always been for a 7 days holiday for a lot of tourists . high Cost of hotels  and availability of time off of the visitors.

I was wondering if a visitor want to just visit Phuket  for 7 days and not the rest of Thailand, would he be forced to stay in Phuket for 14 days and go through all those expensive tests before going home ?

We will know the rules  after July 1 if all visitors must buy 14 days in a hotel whether they stay 7 or 14 days? will hotels must be prepaid before arrival ?

about the 129,000 visitors - Their numbers came from their statistic modeling like that 

150passagers per plane - 20 planes per days for 45 days = 135k visitors in 2 month

for 7 airlines flying to Phuket with small airplanes to Phuket, the numbers should be  100 passengers - 7 planes  - 45 days= 30k arrivals for 2 months....

However,  in my estimation, the the arrival number will be close to 20k ..it is summer season in  Europe and Thailand is in the Monsoon season.. European would rather go close to home in the summer for now.

Domestically travel to Phuket has been always the norm during low season because of cheap hotels.  that market has always been there.

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

The clown who came up with those figures must be an Everly brothers fan....... Dream dream dream.????????????????????

Well said Colin . 

I dont visit this site often , anymore .

I  now have a Kindle , good value .

Hope you understand ...555

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Cost of the quarantine?  What quarantine?  You mean full access to Phuket island? The ability to use the restaurants (which appears will be allowed to serve alcohol)?   You wont get such stuck in an expensive $$$$ Bangkok ASQ for a LOT more money than you will spend in Phuket. 

Further there is NO requirement to stay in a 5-star in Phuket. Hotels that are NOT 5-star have successfully registered for the SHA+.  I have zero idea where you made up that piece of wrong information. 

Further, the food in local inexpensive Phuket restaurants is the cheapest its been for years and far superior to that of a Bangkok ASQ.

Why travel to the rest of Thailand when Phuket at present is a good place to be? (I say that as an Expat here)  Phuket beaches are quiet and the province is IMHO, as a resident here, is the best it has been for many many years.   Beaches are relatively quiet.  Roads are not stupid crazy.   Only the bars are closed and frankly, going to bars is the last thing on my mind for a vacation.  If EVER one wants to see Phuket at a good time - now is a good time, despite this being rainy season.

And having lived in Phuket for years, and when not living here have visited every year, IN RAINY SEASON, I can say rainy season is never as bad as those who have not been here as often as myself b*tch about.  For a 2 week stay in Phuket, IF one can stay for that long, one is certain to get many many nice days.

Further, so many locals are looking for tourists, they are being incredibly nice to all foreigners at present.

Hastle for returning home?  It depends on home. Australia or New Zealand?  Yep!! Lots of hastle. Those 2 countries have not opened up to tourists and its even hard for their own citizens to return.  However there are many other countries in the world where to return is a lot easier than it is to come to Phuket. One simply has to read this forum to read of all those b*tiching about such.

IMHO now is a very good time to enjoy Phuket - which will not be seen again in terms of relative (to the future) tranquility and beauty.

Phuket won't IMHO see 129,000 foreign tourists by end-Sept-2021, but for those who come, it could be a great experience, as long as you are not a bar hopper or a boat-island-hopper.

I think You’re not wrong on many points. But it’s pretty costly once the tests are added in and they are not that pleasant . 

I question your comment about restaurants being able to serve alcohol. There was one article about that as a possibility, but rules issued by the government made it clear it’s a non starter. Of course things can always change at short notice.

in comparison to a Bangkok ASQ hotel, you are of course correct. The Phuket option is both cheaper and more pleasant. I don’t think that is in doubt. I think the issue is whether Phuket is attractive compared to destinations in other countries.

having said all that, I’ve lived in Phuket for 15 years and the rainy season is one of my favorite times of year. Partly because there are few tourists, partly because rain brings welcome relief from endless sun and heat. Middle Eastern based tourists might think the same.

But those tests, smh.