129,000 foreign tourists to visit Phuket by end of September

Jonathan Fairfield

9 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

I was shocked to see how OZ NZ managed the pandemic...they simply locked the countries...not so democratic at all...

Take your pick mate huge numbers of covid and deaths or some short term dicipline and get paid by the govt to stay home. And if you are from USA please dont preach  democracy at the same time voting rights are being denied. 

1 hour ago, the green light said:

Just because they come up with a plan...it  is assummed a s success.

It is still a quarantine outside your room. It will attract few who wants to return to their place of residence in Thailand. or other visitors who want just stay on Phuket only for the duration of their stay in Thailand.

They seem to be all missing few main issues for the regular tourist:

1. Cost of the quarantine- No freebies..14 days 5 stars in Phuket  $$$$$$

2.Inability to move to the rest of the country with high level infection .(not fun)

2. the hassle returning home and being quarantine again. (headache and more $$$$)

there will be some arrivals for sure  but not in the large number as they predicted. It is just nothing but the old rules with a flavor.  let me 5555555 for all these numbers of arrivals.

Then don't stay 5 stars. Sha+at the moment available from 500 baht onwards 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, the green light said:

Looking at the picture of the article - great hotel on the beach...

it is  for sure a 5 star hotel. costing more than $150/ night

Phuket has always been for a 7 days holiday for a lot of tourists . high Cost of hotels  and availability of time off of the visitors.

I was wondering if a visitor want to just visit Phuket  for 7 days and not the rest of Thailand, would he be forced to stay in Phuket for 14 days and go through all those expensive tests before going home ?

We will know the rules  after July 1 if all visitors must buy 14 days in a hotel whether they stay 7 or 14 days? will hotels must be prepaid before arrival ?

SHQ+ hotels must be pre booked and pre paid. There are currently plenty of good hotels on offer around 1000 Baht (US$30) per night. You pay for the number of nights you choose to stay.  Agree about the costs of the tests.

For me, I would not book anything until I saw it in the Royal Gazette, which, if it happens, should be around 22nd or 23rd June

1 hour ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

outragously expensive.

in all europe the test , even in airports, cost less than 50 USD = 1600 BAHT

Nonsense, airport tests for me in Europe are 70 Euro.

Edited by stevenl

51 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I think You’re not wrong on many points. But it’s pretty costly once the tests are added in and they are not that pleasant . 

I question your comment about restaurants being able to serve alcohol. There was one article about that as a possibility, but rules issued by the government made it clear it’s a non starter. Of course things can always change at short notice.

in comparison to a Bangkok ASQ hotel, you are of course correct. The Phuket option is both cheaper and more pleasant. I don’t think that is in doubt. I think the issue is whether Phuket is attractive compared to destinations in other countries.

having said all that, I’ve lived in Phuket for 15 years and the rainy season is one of my favorite times of year. Partly because there are few tourists, partly because rain brings welcome relief from endless sun and heat. Middle Eastern based tourists might think the same.

But those tests, smh.

I appreciate your points also as well as those of the original OP. Only 12 years in Phuket for me and shared my time between Phuket and Dubai. Currently in Dubai having jumped ship from Phuket on 23rd May and am fully vaccinated since 14th June.  Believe me, I, for one, hope it all (sandbox) goes ahead as I know where I would rather be. Rain give me rain!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

But it’s pretty costly once the tests are added in and they are not that pleasant . ...

But those tests, smh.

I agree the tests are very pricey since they require the more expensive RT-PCR tests. However in comparison an ASQ has those costs  as well - possibly buried inside the ASQ costs, or on top of the ASQ costs in some cases - but never the also expensive tests - plus a lot more costs for an ASQ.   Even with the test PT-PCR costs, Phuket SHA+ hotels tend to be cheaper in comprison to ASQ hotels.  It simply does not cost a hotel as much to setup and run an SHA+ hotel as it does to setup and run an ASQ hotel and much of those savings are passed on to the tourist/traveler visitor.

We will find out soon wrt restaurants opening up for liquor prior to 1-July, but I for one believe it will happen (for restaurants). 

I don't think we will see bars open.  

I also agree - the situation is dynamic here.

I am very much enjoying Phuket at present, as a retired expatriate, but I concede the locals (and foreigners with work visas) do need the work, and for them I hope that the tourism economy picks up. 

10 hours ago, Naturesway said:

They come to thailand to experience the real brainwashed society and how it feels like to be slaved, forced to be masked and writs banded by the silly system, without having any understanding of life health and human rights. Welcome to Thailand!

If 10,000 come it will be a result for Thailand. More porky pies. Thailand government have no idea.

1 hour ago, oldcpu said:

I agree the tests are very pricey since they require the more expensive RT-PCR tests. However in comparison an ASQ has those costs  as well - possibly buried inside the ASQ costs, or on top of the ASQ costs in some cases - but never the also expensive tests - plus a lot more costs for an ASQ.   Even with the test PT-PCR costs, Phuket SHA+ hotels tend to be cheaper in comprison to ASQ hotels.  It simply does not cost a hotel as much to setup and run an SHA+ hotel as it does to setup and run an ASQ hotel and much of those savings are passed on to the tourist/traveler visitor.

We will find out soon wrt restaurants opening up for liquor prior to 1-July, but I for one believe it will happen (for restaurants). 

I don't think we will see bars open.  

I also agree - the situation is dynamic here.

I am very much enjoying Phuket at present, as a retired expatriate, but I concede the locals (and foreigners with work visas) do need the work, and for them I hope that the tourism economy picks up. 

Agreed.

I have a feeling most tourists will be comparing Phuket with other destinations closer to home, and the island may not fare well in that.  Versus ASQ, Phuket wins hands down.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kotsak said:

Wondering from which orifice have they pulled these numbers from.. ????

Qatar can deliver 350 passengers daily to Phuket.   Doha to Phuket   QR 0840, Airbus A350-900.  Singapore Airlines still has daily flights to Thailand and is bringing EU and regional Asian visitors. 

Russia charters are ready to fly. They can drop 300-1000 a week or more.

Thai International, Swiss International,  KLM, Air France, Etihad, EVA and Japan Airlines bring passengers to Bangkok. Iranian Mahran carrier is still flying  to Bangkok despite the widespread covid in Iran.

The India Delta variant was spread by passengers arriving from India and Pakistan transiting through the middle east.  I expect that the arriving flights will bring in hundreds of infected people. The screening process will hopefully pick them up, but  Hong kong was surprised when so many had arrived on Cathay Pacific flights from India who were infected.  Chok dee to all.

Edited by Patong2021

their stats are a fantasy that they make up as they go along, i have a fully refundable flight and hotel, i havent cancelled yet in case they drop some of their absurd requirements, if they dont change them   I will cancel the day before my planned arrival date

I'm ignoring the "guesstimate" of arrivals because, as they say, "the proof is in the pudding," and that will occur, on 1 July.

Meanwhile, did anyone else have a problem with the picture of Karon Beach that was taken, on 31 March 2021? I haven't been back to Phuket (I live in Kata Noi), since August 2019, due to C-19 restrictions; however, that picture doesn't resemble my recollection of Karon Beach (especially, that white tower, at the far end of the beach). I used to walk from Kata Noi to Karon Beach Circle and back to Kata Noi, every morning. 

Can anyone clarify my confusion? Thanks.

4 hours ago, skytrooper70 said:

I'm ignoring the "guesstimate" of arrivals because, as they say, "the proof is in the pudding," and that will occur, on 1 July.

Meanwhile, did anyone else have a problem with the picture of Karon Beach that was taken, on 31 March 2021? I haven't been back to Phuket (I live in Kata Noi), since August 2019, due to C-19 restrictions; however, that picture doesn't resemble my recollection of Karon Beach (especially, that white tower, at the far end of the beach). I used to walk from Kata Noi to Karon Beach Circle and back to Kata Noi, every morning. 

Can anyone clarify my confusion? Thanks.

You've been away too long. That's Karon Beach and I assume the picture is taken from the Beyond Resort, which is the only beachfront hotel at that end. The tower is the Waterfornt Suites and it's been there for years!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourist Authorities Expect 600,000 Tourists from Phuket Sandbox

By Woraprat Lerpaisal

b23fc5d9ad61e783cf79e441eb85bc63_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has expected the Phuket reopening planned for 1 July would draw more than 600,000 foreign and local tourists to the resort island and generate a cash flow of about 15 billion baht in the next three months.

Phuket governor Narong Woonciew said the TAT predicted about 129,000 foreign tourist arrivals and 500,000 Thais will visit Phuket between July and September.

From 1 July, Phuket will waive quarantine requirements for foreign tourists who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 under the "Phuket Tourism Sandbox" model. The main goal is to be able to revive the local economy and prevent the spread of the pandemic at the same time. The model is being touted as a model for the reopening of the tourism industry.

Mr Narong added that all parties are speeding up preparations to ensure the reopening proceeds smoothly as planned, stressing that strict disease control measures must remain in place so that the province would not be put in a lockdown again.

nnt.jpg

Zzzzzz Zzzzzz Zzzzzz

In the meanwhile...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Not even 1 ?  Hmmm ... I had a friend back in January fly to Thailand on an STV, do the quarantine, and visit me in Phuket.   Back in January restrictions were much more restrictive than what is being proposed on 1-July.

What should I do - tell him to undo his trip with a time machine?  Or is he not 'one' person?

Ok - I am being sarcastic (and you are exaggerating).  And YES I agree that the numbers of tourists arriving will be low - but the authorities have to start somewhere while still trying to protect the people. That is why they are calling this a 'sandbox' as they test their ideas and the risks/consequences - with a heavy degree on caution.  

Do I believe 129,000 foreign tourists by end-September ?  No, but going forward with the very restrictive 1-July-2021 opening is at least a start in the right direction to help the local economy, and hopefully as weeks go by the restrictions will lessen.

But no GPS then, right?. Why somebody wants to live is Phuket is very difficult to understand for me. Although I have very good memories from my first visits in 81, 82 and 83. By 93 my mind changed completely, all that destruction in the name of greed and money. ???? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

You've been away too long. That's Karon Beach and I assume the picture is taken from the Beyond Resort, which is the only beachfront hotel at that end. The tower is the Waterfornt Suites and it's been there for years!

Don't forget Marina Cottages next door to Beyond.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Phuket governor Narong Woonciew said the TAT predicted about 129,000 foreign tourist arrivals and 500,000 Thais will visit Phuket between July and September.

So we predict the 129,000 Foreign Tourists will be fully Vaccinated, but of the 500,000 Thais maybe about 1000 will have had both shots of either Sinovac or AZ.

• Thanks 1