Where would you enjoy staying if you came during the Phuket Sandbox?

chaihot

I have been a part-time Pattaya resident for 20 years.  Yet I have only been to Phuket once as it didn't interest me.

If I were to return under the sandbox program, I don't know what hotels would be on my suggested list.  I have seen prices range from 10,000 to 283,000 baht for the 14 nights.  My budget would range 40-100,000 for the two weeks (obviously willing to spend less if something fits the bill).

My interest would be resort style pool (possibly with beach access); relatively easy to get around and find some street vendors -- plus a restaurant on site that has quality food.  Preferably room with view.  I know bars are closed, etc. so that isn't a factor at this point.  

Please don't reply and tell me to look at the SHA+ website.  I am interested in reading replies from people who have personal knowledge and suggestions.

What hotels would you suggest based on your experience?  As an alternate, where would YOU stay?  

Hotels that caught my eye:

Sunwing Bangtao Beach - but 25 minutes to phuket downtown

Double Tree by Hilton

Dusit Thani Laguna Hotel (oops!  "Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket is no longer operating as an ASLQ.")

This is Agoda's "hurry up and book message".  Does anyone believe it?   Hahaha

Your dates are popular among travelers
Users are booking a place in Phuket every 2 minutes on Agoda.com

Hurry! 49% of properties on our site are fully booked!

Edited by chaihot
changed word
  • Haha 1

I live in Kamala
rather than Sunwing Bang tao ( which is 80% closed)
check out Sunwing Kamala<  70% of kamala open
the resort offers 2 pools, restaurants, direct on beach, walking distance to other beach side restaurants, shopping
have heard and just waiting on approval , restaurants will be allowed to serve drinks..

Kamala is 30 minutes to central phuket mall, by car, or motorcycle where everything is open.

phuket town is 95% open

Edited by zzzzz
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

I live in Kamala
the resort offers 2 pools, restaurants, direct on beach, walking distance to other beach side restaurants, shopping
have heard and just waiting on approval , restaurants will be allowed to serve drinks..

Kamala is 30 minutes to central phuket mall, by car, or motorcycle where everything is open.

phuket town is 95% open

Sounds great!   Only problem is it's Kamala......with possibly (no, probably) the most depressing main street on the island, and something approaching an unpleasant, heart in mouth, fun fair ride over hills to get to anywhere else.   Seriously though, I'm sure that Kamala works for those who live there, but options remain severely limited and proximity to Patong (which is metaphorically dead) isn't an attraction, and even if it were, Karon to the south is much closer, safer and more accessible.

• Like 2

little point in swapping pattaya for phuket as practically identical during covid; both as dead as disco

however kata beach is uncrowded & scenic with surfing and deserted karon beach is wonderful ......

and there is histotic Old Phuket Town ( Thalang Rd / Ratsada Rd) is very nice ....with Central Mall open

you say Phuket “did not interest” you (but Pattaya does...no detail but.strange)

when Phuket absolutely epitomises the Thailand Tropical Island Beach / Sea / Hill Jungle Lifestyle

Phuket is (normally) far superior by every objective measure (except seediness & bangkok proximity)

if you do come consider to stay in Rawai which will have some expat type life (do check STAY Resort ).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zzzzz said:

I live in Kamala

When I was looking at Bang Tao, I saw the Sunwing Kamala but didn't go any further.  Thanks for the information -- greatly appreciated.

You have an incredible choice for accommodation, make sure they are SHA+

Great deals available

Due to the quiet business side

Rent a bike or car that’s what I’m going to do

Official website

Thailand SHA.com

https://www.thailandsha.com/shalists/index?type=shaplus-SHA Plus +&province=83-ภูเก็ต

some shots from AGODA

Patong district

Screenshot 2021-06-22 083403.jpg