Foreign arrivals in July: 146,000 and ten times more by December, says transport minister

webfact

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

He anticipated that in July there will be 146,000 foreign visitors arriving by air.

That's ~ 4,700 per day. Seems like a lot. Are there enough schdeduled aircraft to support this figure?

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

He expected 1,460,000 million passengers to arrive in the country in December on international flights. 

Sure.

Edited by mtls2005

4 minutes ago, law ling said:

The "fantastic numbers" are to give short to medium term hope to struggling businesses (and their staff who hope to return to work) - - just like the PM's 120 day pledge - because without such hope there may well be a total financial collapse ... and The Czar wouldn't want that. So the can is always kicked just a little further down the road.

“Short and medium term hope”, or false hope?

if it is false hope, it will be disappointing for those businesses that actually plan based on these numbers.

if I were a business owner, I’d want to structure my business plan based on real current data and realistic future data expectations. Planning based on la la land figures is a recipe for business disaster.

• Like 2

The Mad Hatters tea/crack party at it again with yet another daily release.....

If thai visa had a bulls@@t detector along the lines of the deleting profanities software we might get one ministerial release published every six months.

• Haha 2

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when all those wild predictions of tourist arrivals will end up like eggs on those big numbers spruiking who seems to out do each other everyday with bigger numbers...

The Phuket sandbox is a rebranded ASQ Quarantine. A few foreign tourists might truly yearn to be locked down in Phuket with tracking bracelets and tar balls then return home but most (of the small total) are likely expats who see it as an easier way to get back into the country. Many more like myself won't return until all Covid related restrictions are lifted.  I will be surprised if the number from the sandbox is greater than a few hundred for July, but I could see Farangs being blamed either way. 1) Farangs refused to come to Thailand. 2) If there is a new covid outbreak the Farangs will be blamed.

If vaccines from all possible sources had been the focus from day 1 Phuket could probably be much more than a sandbox right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Saksayam said that in July to the end of October Phuket airport will be running at about 28% of capacity with up to 134 flights per day mostly from Asia, Africa and Europe. 

From October to March this will increase to 89% capacity with 320 flights per day.

He anticipated that in July there will be 146,000 foreign visitors arriving by air. Most of these will be flying into Phuket.

I presume someone important really needs to do some math here, apart from several other news articles states 129,000 tourist arrivals for Phuket during a sandbox-period of three month.

So, is the 146,000 in a month on 134 flights a day, which equals 36 passengers in average per airplane = unlikely.

Am I missing something...????

Edited by khunPer

the fact that they keep talking about expected numbers of tourists rather than actual bookings of flights/hotels means that as of right now, few people are actually coming.

they keep talking about all the people that they expect to arrive to fool businesses into reopening so that the that the few who do come dont go home with stories about their holiday in a ghost town.

• Like 1

just the usual Propaganda pumped out " expected " ie not true. The knives that are not that sharp will eventually start believing it because there not taught to have a different opinion or Question there Peers, because most are not educated enough in Thailand. So if the Goverment keeps hammering at the door a nail will take hold. And if anyone questions them on social media or basic questions they don't like to answer you will be Threatened with giving false information to the Thai Authorities. Threaten and Scare them is the way in there eyes. The PM and his close aids know Expats and Falangs don't fall for this So there BUP is blame them its there fault eventually that to is pumped out till its believed. On Phuket what verdicts were published on the HI so gang that were caught out clubbing ? or any other's ignoring there own rule's. strange no articles have come out with what punishments were handed out. Or as I believe the Tea Money was paid so under the carpet it go's.

43 minutes ago, poskat said:

the fact that they keep talking about expected numbers of tourists rather than actual bookings of flights/hotels means that as of right now, few people are actually coming.

they keep talking about all the people that they expect to arrive to fool businesses into reopening so that the that the few who do come dont go home with stories about their holiday in a ghost town.

Instead of talking about bookings, they need to be talking about a very large supply of vaccines. Not the cheap ones either or else their will be no foreign visitors any time soon 

• Thanks 1

Even vaccinated would question the sanity of a tourist who would risk visiting a country where the vast majority of people have not been tested for Covid and have been discouraged from doing so and where the vaccination role out is minimal and vaccine numbers quoted based on the first jab only!

Holiday of a lifetime in Thailand with a free gift of Covid 19 for you and your family!

• Like 1