How do you break the news to your friends and family about moving to Thailand?

Exp12345

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

What Visa will you obtain to be able to live in Thailand?

This is a good question. OP does say "I’d say in about 2 years I will be able to make the move" so maybe he's saving for the Elite Visa ????‍♂️

Two years is a long time though. Who knows what the situation will be like then.

The much more important question is how OP will generate income from here - not just for his day to day expenses, but also enough to provision for his future too.

Hopefully he'll make sure he's able to stash cash early to take advantage of investment compounding over the rest of his life. Miss that boat and it never comes back.

1 hour ago, nightfox said:

I moved to Thailand in my early 20s and never looked back. Sure my parents told me to come back home etc....but after my dad came to visit me for the first time and me taking him out at night to go go bars, ping pong shows and even got him a soapy massage he realized its another world out here and never mentioned to me to come back home ever again.......

ah shucks,   i was waiting for the part saying " he moved here 6 years ago" .

Just now, Pravda said:

Has OP considered the possibility that once he moves to Thailand he will be posting on the forum all day long?

I came here in my thirties.    Didn't even think of posting (or reading)  till a few years ago.

That would be about 30 years after my arrival     ????????

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

OneMoreFarang, you need to finish that story......

I met this great Thai girl. She is different! We went back to my hotel room and had a party then we fell asleep in each others arms. In the morning I slowly woke up and could feel something sticking into my backside. What could this be I wondered but it felt nice. Then it slowly dawned on me my 'girlfriend' was in fact a 'boyfriend' and now we want to get married. Is that okay Mum & Dad?  ????????

Is it still politically correct to laugh about that?

I guess in the Thai way: 555

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

If you ask me, ( and probably many others) now it's not a good time to come to Thailand, (probably early next year i would imagine)  or to anywhere for that matter, but this is my opinion...

Op mentioned ‘in two years’  !

4 hours ago, Exp12345 said:

I’d say in about 2 years I will be able to make the move.

21 hours ago, Chris.B said:

"I’ve been wanting to move to Thailand for a long time now and I’m getting closer to reaching my goal. I’d say in about 2 years I will be able to make the move. With that being said, my parents and family members have zero clue about this and I feel like they will react very negatively about it. Anytime I’ve tried to get them to visit Thailand (or really any SEA country) they frown upon the thought of ever visiting and they believe all SEA countries are gross, poor, unsafe, dirty etc. I know they will get very angry when I break the news, however have any of you people on here experienced a similar situation as me? I’m very young (in my 20’s) so certainly I’m going to receive more backlash from my parents than if I was much older. Any insight would help thanks!"

What Visa will you obtain to be able to live in Thailand?  ????????

I was planning on doing the Elite Visa 

On 6/24/2021 at 5:50 AM, Surelynot said:

YOLO for sure...

I just tell them I am going for very long holidays, one to two years at a time, and will be popping back for a few weeks every now and again.......that seems to have fooled them for now.

Exactly what I'll be doing soon ...

I moved to Thailand at age 20 (back in 2008) and my parents weren't bothered or concerned. I've got a good relationship with them both, but most parents in western society I think value the independent of their children. Though that might be changing with Gen Z.

Edited by MarleyMarl
typo

On 6/24/2021 at 11:57 AM, rumak said:

Yes, pass the word to everyone :  "don't come to Thailand ! "

Well, they can go ahead and come, but ought to stay in BKK, Patts, or Chiang Mai with the other farangs. Don't come to Issan. No, no, no. I just love no queues at immigration, actually courteous officials, no crazies on the road (they're often crazier than the Thais), no public meltdowns, and no mentally ill coworkers. ????

On topic, when I first came to the LOS, many had been and still are escaping my chaotic US state. My mom went to the Midwest, and I came out here. I had the option of following her, but wanted to be on my own, more job opportunities, a lower cost of living, and probably most of all, a reasonable chance at a relationship.

Don't get me started on the US dating scene, and that of most of the Western world. My friends back home are decent looking and successful, and still tell me of the same probs they've been having for years. Having to play head games with flakes and freaks. Walking on eggshells through conversations, barely keeping up with the latest trends or socially acceptable opinions. It wasn't long before I met my wife here, and we've been together awhile now, with none of such nonsense. We're nearly the same age, BTW. ????

Plan is to give this a few more years, then bring her back to mom, where we'll still have some time to further our careers.

• Like 1

My experience after spending alot of time in Thailand in my Thirties, in my mid forties now.

Unless you are over 55 year old or disabled or need nursing day to day care or socially inept in your own country then i would think twice about moving to Thailand at such a young age.

I was going to move to Thailand in my later thirties, had a job lined up etc but never comitted 100% due to other issues, back at home and abroad.

Anyway 7 years later and im glad i never moved there permanently.

However looking forward as a retiree then its really made up for you in Thailand as long as you have a decent wage from retirement coming in and ideally rent from property you own in your own country. Don't ever buy in Thailand, buy in your own country and use the rent obtained to pay your rent in Thailand.