How do you break the news to your friends and family about moving to Thailand?

Exp12345

On 6/24/2021 at 3:33 PM, Exp12345 said:

I’m very young (in my 20’s) so certainly I’m going to receive more backlash from my parents than if I was much older. Any insight would help thanks!

Seriously? Are you able to get a well paying job in LOS? Teaching isn't normally the ticket to a great life in LOS.

Anyway, disregarding the above, as long as not expecting them to pay for it, it's none of their business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2009 said:

Or the look in the eyes of the married man in the gogo bar who has just done the dirty on his wife for the millionth time.

Sipping his beer with lifeless eyes.

Lucky guy to have done it a million times. Married men usually get a significantly less energetic sex life along with the bills.

13 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Maybe, I don't know.  I do know that it was no fun doing the editing of both her master's thesis and her doctoral dissertation.  It was a royal pain in the a$$

Ohh you poor thing, it must have been terrible for you. Still, you managed to get a mention of the wife in again with her masters.  ????????????

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I could be in LOS and they wouldnt even know it.....as its usually just emails n texts anyway...

Exactly! Emails, texts, VPNs and video calls to family and friends back home (whilst your Thai cutie is in the shower).

Simply don’t tell them you’ve gone to Thailand. They will never know and as such you will not be hated or disowned. 

• Like 1

My family are fascinated  with my stories and videos. They understand  why, especially in winter. how the colorful vibrancy  of Thailand  culture makes England  look very grim but I've been traveling  around and writing back to  my family for  years. I can return  anytime I want and do so for a few weeks every year or so. But I do not  seek  their approval and as  they are well  traveled they understand  the limitations  of the UK. By your own description  your family  sounds rather ignorant and unworthy. Get away from them.. I hitch hiked over land all over  Europe in my teens and was on the hippy trail by the age of 20. An airmail letter took  two weeks to get home and two weeks to get a reply. Just tell  your family your  traveling around  SE Asia temporarily.  Don't talk about about a permanent  move. And if they, from a position  of ignorance,  criticize  a place about which they  know nothing Just  remind them how ßhìť the UK is, violent,  corrupt, cities full of grooming gangs, low wages, massive taxes , dismal nightlife, rotten weather, corrupt ruling elite and just so BORING.

Edited by The Hammer2021

I live in a big house surrounded by big lush gardens. Bananas, Pineapples grow in the garden. I've got a great wife and kids. I'm a senior figure in a Thai company and have my own sideline company. I stay in five star hotels in a tropical paradise for our annual vacations. It's a house and a life I would still be dreaming about if I'd stayed in the UK stacking shelves with no hope of buying my own rinkydink terrace in some god awful inner city sink estate.

So they think I'm a pedo that came here to molest children. They can all go to hell in a hand basket for all I care. Morons.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

On 6/27/2021 at 5:16 AM, Chris.B said:

Ohh you poor thing, it must have been terrible for you. Still, you managed to get a mention of the wife in again with her masters.  ????????????

I'm sorry my post seems to upset you so much.  Are you having a bad day?