How do you break the news to your friends and family about moving to Thailand?

Exp12345

On 6/24/2021 at 5:33 AM, Exp12345 said:

I know they will get very angry when I break the news, however have any of you people on here experienced a similar situation as me? I’m very young (in my 20’s) so certainly I’m going to receive more backlash from my parents than if I was much older. Any insight would help thanks!

If you don't have any obligations that you need to take care of, then just make up your mind, make your decision, and live your life - it's your life, not theirs.

You can just politely inform that you have already decided your move, but that family and friends are welcome to visit you.

Some might consider you as a kind of sex-tourist with all the stories about Thailand, but just don't care, it's your life, not theirs - the truth might be that some of them actually envy you, and would do the same, if they could...????

But don't burn you bridges, if you in any way can avoid it. You need a plan B, in case something is not working as expected, so it might be a benefit to be able to return.

I was lucky when I did my move, as I was that old that my parents had already passed away - and they wouldn't have stopped me leaving, but wish me all the best - and my friends were all positive, when I told them about my plans, and later my decision. After I moved I've been seeing more of my friends than when we lived in the same country, some of them much more than at all before I left, many of them comes and visit me...????

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 12:57 PM, BangkokReady said:

Like this:

Look At Mother Nature Got Dat Junk In Dat Trunk by m.h.m - Meme Center

People are so disgustingly narrow minded.

Just because my wife is 40 years younger than me, cannot read or write, speaks no English, and I pay her family a set amount of money each month, I'm somehow deserving of judgment!

40 years younger, can't read or write.

Hope she isn't blind.

• Sad 1

My situation is a bit different than most.  First of all my Thai wife is older than me but looks younger.  My Thai wife and I were already married in the US where we had met when she was a graduate student.  After she finished her PhD we moved to Thailand for what was to be two years.  It ended up being much longer than that.  Our two kids were quite young when we moved to Bangkok but they adapted quickly.  Her parents were elated that we were returning.  My parents were supportive just missed having the grandkids.  They came to visit about every other year.  

TAIWAN? DO YOU SPEAK TAIWANESE?

well, that wasn't my family but someone I met briefly...

my family would have been more surprised if I didn't end up somewhere foreign... in their 80s they came to my village to meet my family... my mother used to say don't come back, it is horrible here... enjoy your life... 

Maybe test the waters - tell them a friend of yours is moving to Thailand... see how they react... but sadly for you, I would hope they are more open minded... 

1 hour ago, Hanuman2547 said:

My situation is a bit different than most.  First of all my Thai wife is older than me but looks younger.  My Thai wife and I were already married in the US where we had met when she was a graduate student.  After she finished her PhD we moved to Thailand for what was to be two years.  It ended up being much longer than that.  Our two kids were quite young when we moved to Bangkok but they adapted quickly.  Her parents were elated that we were returning.  My parents were supportive just missed having the grandkids.  They came to visit about every other year.  

Hmmm, a lot of guys on ThaiVisa seem to have married Thai ladies with PhDs. Funny that. ???? ???????? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Hmmm, a lot of guys on ThaiVisa seem to have married Thai ladies with PhDs. Funny that. ???? ???????? 

The Op is in his 20’s.... It would be very easy and quite normal for him to meet a well educated Thai lady of a similar age from a financially stable background...  very normal in fact. 

But, for the most part, the older retired is going to struggle to meet anyone who is not financially dependent on him and who has not made a choice borne of economic stability for her and her offspring. 

Thats just the realities of life here. No criticism other than that levied at the cynicism of those who lack the capacity to think or understand beyond their own limited experiences. 

• Sad 1

On 6/24/2021 at 11:58 AM, Chris.B said:

"I’ve been wanting to move to Thailand for a long time now and I’m getting closer to reaching my goal. I’d say in about 2 years I will be able to make the move. With that being said, my parents and family members have zero clue about this and I feel like they will react very negatively about it. Anytime I’ve tried to get them to visit Thailand (or really any SEA country) they frown upon the thought of ever visiting and they believe all SEA countries are gross, poor, unsafe, dirty etc. I know they will get very angry when I break the news, however have any of you people on here experienced a similar situation as me? I’m very young (in my 20’s) so certainly I’m going to receive more backlash from my parents than if I was much older. Any insight would help thanks!"

What Visa will you obtain to be able to live in Thailand?  ????????

Political refugee. 5555

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jomtienisgood said:

Especially after they found out they were fooling around with a katoey....5555

Best case they find out later at night far away from the bar. But some continue to live in ignorance with that smile on their face.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Perhaps a lot of people have more ‘game’ and can meet ladies of similar socio-economic-educational status, meanwhile those such as yourself are cynical because you are unable to do so and thus project that like you, everyone else came here because their options are otherwise limited and have only been able to meet women in girly-bars. 

The vast majority of my friends in Thailand (Thai and Western) are married to a Thai lady with at least a degree. Many have a Masters. Those women do not hang about in bars and in general they are not interested in guys twice their age who hang around in bars. 

Wow, a bit over the top! A touch sensitive on the subject are we? ????????????

So, you have a lot of friends and most are married to Thai ladies with degrees or masters. Me personally, I like babes with big boobs.  ????????????

Edited by Chris.B

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Perhaps a lot of people have more ‘game’ and can meet ladies of similar socio-economic-educational status, meanwhile those such as yourself are cynical because you are unable to do so and thus project that like you, everyone else came here because their options are otherwise limited and have only been able to meet women in girly-bars. 

There is another option.

Lots of guys prefer sexy young girls who don't think too much.

I met lots of educated Thai women through work. Some are nice, most seem to be boring.

I don't need a smart wife to discuss world politics or science with her. I can do that with my friends if I am in the mood. I prefer a girl who is fun. And lots of bar girls understand the concept of fun a lot better than their educated sisters.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Hmmm, a lot of guys on ThaiVisa seem to have married Thai ladies with PhDs.

Yes, I've noticed that also; I never knew that there were so many Thai women with PhD's! Maybe all those McDonalds managers, since you need a BSc just to serve burgers! 555 

Just to be clear my Thai wife doesn't have a PhD--or any formal education for that matter, but I'm perfectly happy with her and have been together 28 years. Never understood why some people have to embellish things to justify their lives to other people.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Maybe, I don't know.  I do know that it was no fun doing the editing of both her master's thesis and her doctoral dissertation.  It was a royal pain in the a$$

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The vast majority of my friends in Thailand (Thai and Western) are married to a Thai lady with at least a degree. Many have a Masters. Those women do not hang about in bars and in general they are not interested in guys twice their age who hang around in bars. 

That has been my experience as well.  

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I always like the look in the eyes of the guys who are the first time in a gogo bar. Priceless! 

Or the look in the eyes of the married man in the gogo bar who has just done the dirty on his wife for the millionth time.

Sipping his beer with lifeless eyes.

Edited by 2009
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Maybe, I don't know.  I do know that it was no fun doing the editing of both her master's thesis and her doctoral dissertation.  It was a royal pain in the a$$

They are all a pain in the a$$.

Single is the way to be -- especially in Thailand! That's my only advice to the OP.

I came here at 22. It's been 15 years. No regrets, except getting hooked up in a relationship.

And I've had relationships with a school teacher, a wedding planner, a hair stylist, as well as barmaids and waitresses.

Don't let anyone try to fool you: there ain't no difference; they are all trouble!

Edited by 2009
  • Sad 1

On 6/24/2021 at 3:33 AM, Exp12345 said:

they believe all SEA countries are gross, poor, unsafe, dirty etc.

well they are about that - but that is why we like it !!

now seriously. do not move to thailand unless you have a good economic reason, like job offer or business opportunity. the dangers are not visible and you are too young to handle them.

you will need lots of guarding angels to gain from thailand. so listen to your parents until you

are too old to listen to them (in your 40s),.

47 minutes ago, 2009 said:

They are all a pain in the a$$.

Single is the way to be -- especially in Thailand! That's my only advice to the OP.

I came here at 22. It's been 15 years. No regrets, except getting hooked up in a relationship.

And I've had relationships with a school teacher, a wedding planner, a hair stylist, as well as barmaids and waitresses.

Don't let anyone try to fool you: there ain't no difference; they are all trouble!

Aren't they all over the world? 55555

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

well they are about that - but that is why we like it !!

now seriously. do not move to thailand unless you have a good economic reason, like job offer or business opportunity. the dangers are not visible and you are too young to handle them.

you will need lots of guarding angels to gain from thailand. so listen to your parents until you

are too old to listen to them (in your 40s),.

Yes, keep all the good things for us so keep out newcomers..... 55555

show them pictures of Pattaya, BKK, soi Cowboy, ladyboys and women of the night.....

tell them, "I must...........................................................go....................................now."

they will ask, "why ruin your future?  destroy a chance at a career?  retirement chances? educational possibilities? friends?  family? and wipe out all hope of making good money?"

you will show them the pictures again!!!!    

1 hour ago, 2009 said:

Or the look in the eyes of the married man in the gogo bar who has just done the dirty on his wife for the millionth time.

Sipping his beer with lifeless eyes.

hilarious.

well, you are NOT lifeless if you just hooked up with a gogo girl!!! you are LIVING life!!!  perhaps it's not safe....another story

as I watch the TVF poster type endlessly from his 10 sq/m fan room eating donuts, drinking beer at 8 a.m., afraid to experience LOS with his lifeless eyes.  He considers walking to the fridge, pauses for 11 hours, and decides it's too far.  He walks to get his 20 baht noodle soup, dreaming of the gogo bars out of reach with his daily 80 baht budget.  he emails home, "life is the best!!!"  drinks another beer.  

hahahhahahahahahhaha

• Like 1