Two doses of Sinovac can stop spread of COVID-19 – National Vaccine Institute

snoop1130

Happy to take any of them. It may not be perfect but it is not lethal, unlike covid. I would likely get something else later but anything is better than nothing. While the Sinovac may not provide perfect protection, it prevents serious illness and hospitalization. Close enough for now, where do I sign up?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

You don't decide on a serious medical decision on ethnicity or race or even emotion. Should be based on scientific merits and availability. It is your life and those around that your decision will affect. 

I totally agree. Many here rubbish the Chinese vaccine. I dont know which is the best or safest and anyone who thinks somehow giant western Pharma are more honest and trustworthy than the Chinese? The truth is all of these drugs are under emergency use and have far to go before completing phase 3 trials. Which ever vaccine you choose there will be some leap of faith involved.

It worth considering that Sinovac uses traditional vaccine techniques where as most pf the others are "Gene therapy" which is new technology and the founder of this MRNA vaccination Dr Robert Malone has expressing concern about the toxicity and serious side effects from having spike proteins floating around in the blood stream.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

A few things here. First of all the lead to the actual article is probably one of the most poorly written i have seen in a long time. Less than 200 case studies doesn't prove anything. lastly if they don't have enough vaccines then the efficacy rate doesn't mean anything. Get it together boys and girls.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Petey11 said:

Good news yet they keep talking 70% first vaccination for opening up???

I said this in another post, but I got the AZ jab yesterday at Ploenchit Centre.  Very gratefull to receive the vaccine - and for free - but my goodness, what a circus! 

To eventually get the jab it took five hours (!) of queueing, paperwork, blood pressure tests, more paperwork, more queues, and more tests. Unbelievable. It wasn't that busy either!

The Thais really need to sort this out. Organise a system whereby less time is spent on bureaucratic BS (although some is obviously important) and more time on getting the vaccine in peoples' arms.

Yesterday there were only 250,000 people who got the jab (including me) but this is way way below the kind of numbers required. Sort it out!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Cipher said:

Good to hear this, and to see that it was a joint US-Thai effort that produced these results.

Hopefully this will help reassure some of those of those on the fence to get vaccinated! ????‍⚕️

I still can't believe the data because the trial size is only 186 people. Currently the WHO's data is still reporting the Sinovac vaccine against COVID-19 has an efficacy of 51% against symptomatic SARS=CoV-2 infection. I don't and will never trust the Chinese or anything they report.

• Like 1

186 people joined the Clinical Trials

171 people who volunteered attained Immunity or 70 %  ???

So 15 people were dropped off the trials, if I am reading correctly

Why ?

Maybe they showed no immunity at all, and would therefore put a black mark on the Trials.

17 hours ago, asiacurious said:

There is a BIG difference between saying 95% of people developing an immune response and saying what the headline says, "Two doses of Sinovac can stop spread of COVID-19".  The latter simply isn't supported by ANY evidence, including the "evidence" in this so-called study.

The article starts with this (hopefully true) great news...

And then falls off the rails as the sentence continues...

No, no, no, no, no.   An immune response on a petri dish does NOT mean a vaccinated person can't still catch the virus and transmit it to others!

The sentence concludes by attributing the claim...

Well, we don't have a link to any data. 

Well, there are no links to the study's findings and no links to any data.  We don't know how or what they actually tested.  We don't know anything about the study except for what the author of this piece wrote.  And the article doesn't even have an author named, so there's no way to find out if the author even has a basic understanding of the science.

Basically the article is worthless, though the study may not be.  We just don't know what the study actually says.

If anyone finds a link to it, I hope you'll post it here.  

Yes, exactly what I have been thinking after reading this horse manure. According to official data I have read on the WHO sits is that Sinovac vaccine against COVID-19 has an efficacy of 51% against symptomatic SARS=CoV-2 infection. People can still catch the virus after the 1st shot because they have to wait for the second shot for 6-8 weeks. This is a Chinese product not worth the risk. The data is exaggerating the truth and based on what?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

A recent study done in Hong Kong doesn't really advocate Sinovac ...  Especially when the Delta variant Covid-19 virus is present.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/28831/delta-variants-danger-and-new-studies-raises-questions-about-thai-vaccine-program/

But the application of the Sinovac vaccine is problematic. Emerging data shows that the current vaccines, especially the ones with lower efficacy rates like the Sinovac, are not effective in stopping the transmission of the Delta variant.

Even a leading Thai Dr. proposed farangs entering the Phuket sandbox with Sinovac vaccination should not be let into the sandbox.  (Yet, a large number of people in Phuket were vaccinated with Sinovac by Thai Gov.)

two doses?.........................................................not sure.  depends

982792837298072 doses.......................................SURE!!!!!

5000 baht per dose.    1,000,000 doses you get 10 baht discount!!!!!!!

Edited by Ventenio
  • Confused 1

How can so many of you guys miss the forest for the trees? Especially those of you who really believe that Covid really is a scary pathogen.

Regardless of whether you believe Sinovac offers 90% protection or 75% or 50% or 25%...the right way to think about this is: is it more likely than not that the Sinovac vaccine offers some meaningful measure of protection against Covid compared to being unvaccinated?

If the answer to that is yes - and on the balance of probabilities it is - use of the Sinovac vaccine is the right call in the absence of better options being readily available. Put the xenophobia aside and think logically.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, bstafford214 said:

Yes, exactly what I have been thinking after reading this horse manure. According to official data I have read on the WHO sits is that Sinovac vaccine against COVID-19 has an efficacy of 51% against symptomatic SARS=CoV-2 infection. People can still catch the virus after the 1st shot because they have to wait for the second shot for 6-8 weeks. This is a Chinese product not worth the risk. The data is exaggerating the truth and based on what?

they have Chinese credit card readers where i shop.  always breaking down or taking 6 minutes to read the card.  useless junk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluedan said:

I totally agree. Many here rubbish the Chinese vaccine. I dont know which is the best or safest and anyone who thinks somehow giant western Pharma are more honest and trustworthy than the Chinese? The truth is all of these drugs are under emergency use and have far to go before completing phase 3 trials. Which ever vaccine you choose there will be some leap of faith involved.

It worth considering that Sinovac uses traditional vaccine techniques where as most pf the others are "Gene therapy" which is new technology and the founder of this MRNA vaccination Dr Robert Malone has expressing concern about the toxicity and serious side effects from having spike proteins floating around in the blood stream.

the spike proteins reside on the virus particles themselves and are not "floating around"  the antibodies produce by the Mrna vaccines target the spike proteins and disable the virus ability to invade the host cells.  in my opinion  Mrna vaccines produce antibodies in a more efficient manner and are safer.

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1

Do I get the feeling that some expect vaccine to be 100% effective. No vaccine since Edward Jenner innoculated a 13 year old boy for smallbox in 1798 is 100% effectiveness. Even a 50% effectiveness will mean that you got 50% less chance of infection, serious illness or deaths. Isn't that worthy percentage to get your shot or is racial profiling gets in your way of a sensible decision. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, dsj said:

I just received an email from the Canadian Embassy about easing border measures, and they mentioned that Canada doesn't recognize Sinovac and won't except that people to forgo 14 day quarantine upon arrivial. These are the requirements, at least for Canadians. The accepted vaccines are:

• Pfizer (Comirnaty, tozinameran, BNT162b2)

• Moderna (mRNA-1273)

• AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria, AZD1222, Covishield)

• Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) - single dose

So I am going to have to wait, don't know how long for Moderna or AZ.

Dear Canadians,

You are receiving this email because you are registered with the Government of Canada's Registration of Canadians Abroad service.

On June 21st, 2021 the Government of Canada announced the extension of some of Canada’s border measures as well as some changes to current measures that will begin to ease some testing and quarantine requirements for fully vaccinated travellers who are currently permitted to enter Canada.

Easing of border measures

Beginning July 5, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EDT, fully vaccinated travellers will not be required to quarantine or complete a day-8 test. In addition, fully vaccinated travellers arriving by air will not be required to stay at a government-authorized hotel to await their on-arrival test result.

Unvaccinated minors or dependent adults who are travelling with fully vaccinated travellers must still quarantine for 14 days and follow all testing requirements, but are not required to stay at a government-authorized hotel.

To be eligible for these exemptions, fully vaccinated travellers must still meet the pre-entry and on-arrival testing requirements, be asymptomatic and submit all required COVID-19 information electronically into ArriveCAN prior to travel to Canada, have a paper or digital copy of their proof of vaccination, and have a suitable quarantine plan.

Fully-vaccinated travellers

To be considered fully vaccinated, travellers must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine — or combination of vaccines — accepted by the Government of Canada, at least 14 days prior to entering Canada. Currently, those vaccines are manufactured by Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD, and Janssen (Johnson & Johnson). Travellers must provide proof of vaccination in English or French (or a certified translation).

You will find below the list of accepted and not accepted vaccines at the moment. We recommend that you visit the section entitled Determine if you’re fully vaccinated regularly as the list of accepted vaccines may expand in the future.

Accepted vaccines:

• Pfizer (Comirnaty, tozinameran, BNT162b2)

• Moderna (mRNA-1273)

• AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria, AZD1222, Covishield)

• Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) - single dose

Vaccines not currently accepted for fully vaccinated status in Canada:

• Bharat Biotech (Covaxin, BBV152 A, B, C)

• Cansino (Convidecia, Ad5-nCoV)

• Gamalaya (Sputnik V, Gam-Covid-Vac)

• Sinopharm (BBIBP-CorV, Sinopharm-Wuhan)

• Sinovac (CoronaVac, PiCoVacc)

• Vector Institute (EpiVacCorona)

• Other

Travellers can receive their vaccine in any country but must provide a certified translation confirming their vaccination status if proof of vaccination is not provided in English or French.

The Government of Canada will accept translations that were produced by a certified translator whose certification can be confirmed by a stamp or membership number with a professional translation association. 

Eligibility

Only those travellers who are currently eligible to enter Canada and are now fully vaccinated, are eligible for these new measures if they meet specific criteria and requirements. Specific questions regarding quarantine measures can be directed to the Public Health Agency of Canada https://health.canada.ca/en/public-health/corporate/contact-us.html.

Only individuals with a right of entry (Canadian citizens, permanent residents and persons registered under the Indian Act), as well as some foreign nationals who are not prohibited from entering Canada under the Orders in Council (Prohibition of Entry into Canada from the United States; Prohibition of Entry into Canada from any Country other than the United States) can currently enter Canada.

Individuals can verify if they are allowed to enter Canada

Not fully-vaccinated travellers

There are no changes to Canada’s current border measures for travellers who are not fully vaccinated. Travellers must continue to adhere to the current testing and federal 14-day quarantine requirements, and provide COVID-19-related information electronically through ArriveCAN before arriving in Canada. Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated air travellers must also book a three-night stay at a government-authorized hotel before their departure to Canada.

Persons who have recovered from COVID-19 can continue to test positive long after they have recovered and are no longer infectious.  Travellers who have previously tested positive for COVID-19 must provide proof of a positive COVID-19 molecular test conducted between 14 and 90 days prior to their scheduled flight.

It's WHO approved like the rest.  Canada is a very picky country.

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

So when does the new Thai Vax get rated.....ChulaCov19...and when does it hit the market--anyone know.

Oh found it---the BBC are running with it..........

https://www.bbc.com/thai/thailand-57592424

It would reassuring if the BBC could get the spelling right: they're calling it Chulakov19, which sounds as though it might be Russian. Actually the article interchanges the spelling, adding to the confusion.

Edited by samtam

That research doesn't say much. 

And because it was done with US institutions doesn't qualify at all. 

1. What was the age of volunteers? 

2. Any preconditions? 

3. Tested only after 2 weeks? What about 4,12,36,52 weeks e.g?

It's just a paper doctored by Thai government to calm people and to trust Sinovac. ????

Not sure how to interpret this. The media makes basic mistakes in interpreting the science. Here it infers it totally stops transmission, yet this has been shown not to be the case in other studies. So this is not the be all and end all of this testing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, asiacurious said:

There is a BIG difference between saying 95% of people developing an immune response and saying what the headline says, "Two doses of Sinovac can stop spread of COVID-19".  The latter simply isn't supported by ANY evidence, including the "evidence" in this so-called study.

The article starts with this (hopefully true) great news...

And then falls off the rails as the sentence continues...

No, no, no, no, no.   An immune response on a petri dish does NOT mean a vaccinated person can't still catch the virus and transmit it to others!

The sentence concludes by attributing the claim...

Well, we don't have a link to any data. 

Well, there are no links to the study's findings and no links to any data.  We don't know how or what they actually tested.  We don't know anything about the study except for what the author of this piece wrote.  And the article doesn't even have an author named, so there's no way to find out if the author even has a basic understanding of the science.

Basically the article is worthless, though the study may not be.  We just don't know what the study actually says.

If anyone finds a link to it, I hope you'll post it here.  

Also how many volunteers? 

"The National Vaccine Institute said that 186 volunteers . . . the result shows that more than 70% of the 171 volunteers . . ." 

That 70% had developed an immune response strong enough to prevent the spread of the virus in laboratory tests means that 30% didn't and could spread the virus?

I wonder when these tests were conducted -- surely prior to the Indian Delta variation -- and the recently discovered Delta-plus variation which is even more highly transmisable!

Anyway, 30% can possibly still transmit the virus!

21 hours ago, The Cipher said:

Good to hear this, and to see that it was a joint US-Thai effort that produced these results.

Hopefully this will help reassure some of those of those on the fence to get vaccinated! ????‍⚕️

If you read there report the immune response was fairly low with Sinovac!

I quote:

"According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the Sinovac's efficacy is 50.7%, when it comes to preventing symptomatic disease — significantly lower than Western-made shots."

4 hours ago, Harm Hendrik Reitsma said:

nobody seems to remember, mentioned is "the vaccin is agreed to for experimental use in case of emergency" by the health authority. The long-term efficacy is unknown and even vaccinated you can get the virus.. So it still can not save you, but not mentioned is that for instance Ivermectin and HCQ in combination with Vitamin D can save your life, in most cases you will not get really sick when use this. This is used in India and Argentina and proofs to be a real lifesaver! I just wanted to mention these results, so you can find out.

Be save out there!

Argentina and India both have high death numbers.... the regime you mention went out with the orange guy.