Cheapest Covid Insurance For Re-entering Thailand

On 6/25/2021 at 1:23 PM, Salerno said:

What's the cheapest you've found (and will they cover you if dragged off to hospital when asymptomatic?).

I guess I don't understand why insurance would be needed if you are vaccinated.  The "hospitalization rate doesn't seem to be based on any level of sickness, just a positive test, which is odd when the survival rate is so extremely high.

No argument with that, but doesn't answer my question to the OP.

AXA was being touted a few months back as the "best" to meet the requirements and it covers being tested positive. I'd be interested in what policies the OP has found that met the requirements at less cost.

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

AXA was being touted a few months back as the "best" to meet the requirements and it covers being tested positive. I'd be interested in what policies the OP has found that met the requirements at less cost.

According to one of the big insurance sales agents for this type of insurance less than 1% have tested positive in quarantine. ????

25 minutes ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

According to one of the big insurance sales agents for this type of insurance less than 1% have tested positive in quarantine. ????

Seems reasonable (regardless of all those posting misinformation). That said, you have to meet the requirement of the insurance therefore, IMO, it would be foolish not to do due diligence and ensure the policy taken out covers that eventuality.

On 6/26/2021 at 1:19 AM, ubonjoe said:

You do not need covid 19 insurance unless you need it for entry to the country. The covid insurance offered by the TGIA site does not ask for your age to get the cost. 

If extending a OA visa entry it may be needed later.

Just when I thought I had a plan for returning to Thailand based on getting another O/A visa, and got my head round the cost and inconvenience of quarantine, plus the mandatory health insurance of course, it seems there's now another hurdle on the horizon ie renewal of covid insurance every time the O/A is extended. In your opinion is this likely to become a reality? I know in theory when/if the pandemic is said to be over then the question of insurance should also cease to be a requirement, but I've been paying attention long enough to know it wont be that simple.

It seems to me the O/A is to be avoided if possible. I'm 61, have a modest pension, with the rest of my income coming from investments and rent from my house - that will only start when I move back to Thailand, though. I'm thinking of staying long term via Non O, based on retirement and my question is whether it's easier to apply here in the UK or enter Thailand on a tourist visa and convert to non O once I'm there. If the embassies issue 12 month non Imm O visas, then I'm still stuck with expensive covid insurance, but if they issue 90 day visas, that seems a more attractive proposition. I appreciate I'll have to put 800000 in my Thai bank account more or less straightaway so it has time to 'seed' for the visa to be extended after the 90 days. I also wonder if the requirements in country ie proof of pension etc are more or less than when applying at the embassy. Any guidance would be very much appreciated

16 minutes ago, Doowat said:

It seems to me the O/A is to be avoided if possible. I'm 61, have a modest pension, with the rest of my income coming from investments and rent from my house - that will only start when I move back to Thailand, though. I'm thinking of staying long term via Non O, based on retirement and my question is whether it's easier to apply here in the UK or enter Thailand on a tourist visa and convert to non O once I'm there. If the embassies issue 12 month non Imm O visas, then I'm still stuck with expensive covid insurance, but if they issue 90 day visas, that seems a more attractive proposition. I appreciate I'll have to put 800000 in my Thai bank account more or less straightaway so it has time to 'seed' for the visa to be extended after the 90 days. I also wonder if the requirements in country ie proof of pension etc are more or less than when applying at the embassy. Any guidance would be very much appreciated

If you already have a Thai bank account you can enter visa exempt to get a 45 day entry that can be extended for 30 days. And then apply for the 90 day non-o visa entry at immigration when you have the 800k baht in the bank. You will need proof it came abroad for the visa application. Then when the 800k baht has been in the bank for 2 months you can apply for the one year extension of stay.

You will only need the covid 19 insurance valid for the 45 day entry you will get.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you already have a Thai bank account you can enter visa exempt to get a 45 day entry that can be extended for 30 days. And then apply for the 90 day non-o visa entry at immigration when you have the 800k baht in the bank. You will need proof it came abroad for the visa application. Then when the 800k baht has been in the bank for 2 months you can apply for the one year extension of stay.

You will only need the covid 19 insurance valid for the 45 day entry you will get.

Thanks for the advice. very much appreciated.

On 6/27/2021 at 6:00 AM, Salerno said:

I don't see any info regarding being covered if tested positive?

1 hour ago, truthfix said:

I am not sure if any of them do, most don't mention anything about it,

would be interesting to filter the ones that do, even if the premium is a little

higher, for self assurance.

38 minutes ago, Polaky said:

I am not sure if any of them do, most don't mention anything about it,

would be interesting to filter the ones that do, even if the premium is a little

higher, for self assurance.

You have to check with the insurer to find out if they will pay for the hospital when you are asymptomatic. Some will not pay unless you are showing symptoms. 

The insurance offered by the TGIA does pay when asymptomatic (https://covid19.tgia.org/).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to check with the insurer to find out if they will pay for the hospital when you are asymptomatic. Some will not pay unless you are showing symptoms. 

The insurance offered by the TGIA does pay when asymptomatic (https://covid19.tgia.org/).

I cannot see it in their T&C's, but I will take your word for it Joe ????

6 hours ago, truthfix said:

It has been mentioned before and there is real-life proof of them covering. As always, need to do your due diligence, especially with western/home country policies. As UJ mentioned, all those via TGAI appear to cover asymptomatic hospital quarantine but ask the question and get it in writing.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Salerno said:

As UJ mentioned, all those via TGAI appear to cover asymptomatic hospital quarantine but ask the question and get it in writing.

When the polices were written they specifically included the asymptomatic coverage since they were aware of what the requirements were.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 11:49 AM, ubonjoe said:

The covid 19 insurance only needs to be valid for your length of stay.

I assume you have a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa). Your length of stay will be to the day your extension ends.

Not sure what type of extension of stay you have since there is not visa or extension of stay issued for being a guardian.

They are issued for being a parent or for a being a family member of a person on a extension of stay.

Look here for the covid insurance.  https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/product_detail

Will the madness of this $100,000 USD Covid-19 insurance ever end?