Water bill more expensive than electric in new condo

clarky cat

Here is the link https://en.pwa.co.th/calculate/water-tariff to check your waterbill. Because you have no waterbill based on meter-reading, you need to do some estimation. Accourding to my understand, you are using more than 25'000 liters within 15 days. This is just isane.

Insist on a bill based on a meter reading. Someone is cheating or you have a private swimming-pool in your condo.

condo water meter

condo electric meter
both must exist on your property under your control & name & responsibility

whether owner or renter. if renter, should be in lease.

common water meter

common electric meter

both must exist for single common area paid centrally by landowners

(often from owner common fund ) and recoverable proportionately at same price each month from renters under lease agreement.

• Like 1

My water bill was a fixed amount, depending on how many bedrooms in the apartment.  Electricity bill was by meter.

It's not surprising that a fixed water bill would exceed a variable electricity bill on an apartment/condo that has been vacant before you moved in. 

I'd wait until a full month's bill under your usage patterns before raising the alarm.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I had a similar arrangement with condo years ago.  300 baht flat rate for water.  250 baht for electric seems incredibly low. 

Not if he just moved in...  The place was probably vacant.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Not if he just moved in...  The place was probably vacant.

"Moved into a condo at the start of the month and just been given bills for electric and water for half a month"

The water is 300 baht and electric 250 baht

He mentioned half a month.  250 baht for a half month is very low.

Its good to read the whole article before rushing to post.

37 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

"Moved into a condo at the start of the month and just been given bills for electric and water for half a month"

The water is 300 baht and electric 250 baht

He mentioned half a month.  250 baht for a half month is very low.

Its good to read the whole article before rushing to post.

Good catch, but something in the OP doesn't add up, and some details are missing.  Is it really a condo, or an apartment?  When did they take the meter readings?  Was it exactly 250.00 and 300.00, or are those approximations?  If he moved in on the first, why is he getting "half a month" invoice at the end of the month?  (Assuming they read the meter a few days early to include the amount on his rent invoice).

I still contend he needs to see a full month's invoice under his own usage patterns before raising any alarm.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

If you moved in on the 1st and this bill came around 2-3 days ago it is most likely only for 8-10 days and not "1/2 a month". Reading cycles and billing cycles are quite often 2-3 weeks behind the calendar month. Especially in big cities.

45 minutes ago, longball53098 said:

In his OP he said the electric bill was direct bill from PEA but the water bill was not and came from the condo offices. My guess is he is billed at the condo rate which most likely is an inflated rate compared to the PWA rate. Ask the condo office what the rate they charge is and what the condo meter reading was for that half month.

I lived in a condo that charged as much as 55 baht per unit of water. PWA rate is somewhere around 12 baht per unit.

Perfectly correct answer.... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, longball53098 said:

In his OP he said the electric bill was direct bill from PEA but the water bill was not and came from the condo offices. My guess is he is billed at the condo rate which most likely is an inflated rate compared to the PWA rate. Ask the condo office what the rate they charge is and what the condo meter reading was for that half month.

I lived in a condo that charged as much as 55 baht per unit of water. PWA rate is somewhere around 12 baht per unit.

This seems to be the case

Took a photo of the water meter the past 3 consecutive days and haven’t seen any movement, something is off

Ive asked for meter readings but been told the woman is off on holidays until tomorrow

11 hours ago, clarky cat said:

This seems to be the case

Took a photo of the water meter the past 3 consecutive days and haven’t seen any movement, something is off

Ive asked for meter readings but been told the woman is off on holidays until tomorrow

Presumably there is a 200 THB minimum charge.

On 6/29/2021 at 10:06 AM, longball53098 said:

This has turned out to be correct

Electric is government rate, water is a condo rate of 25 baht per unit

• Like 1

21 hours ago, clarky cat said:

This has turned out to be correct

Electric is government rate, water is a condo rate of 25 baht per unit

25 baht per unit still shouldn't give you a bill of 300 baht.  I use about 5-6 units a month living alone.

The bill should state how many units you are being billed for.  If it's 12 units something is probably wrong.

The bill should also state the meter reading number at last month, and at this month.

Edited by YT3k72Em
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 8:54 PM, Thomas J said:

Simple answer, let the dishes stack up and don't shower every day. 

alternatively, dishwash in shower in plastic bowl, saves soap and water, and rinse water down the loo.(proven method, applied during water shortages on small island, carrying buckets uphill makes for creativity.)

Seen it, Done it, Off. 

Its usually a flat 300 baht for the month.  You can request them to prorate it but if they don't I wouldn't make a fuss.

250 baht for electric.  Are you using candles for light?

• Haha 1