10 years with no contact from my landlady

Talk to the horse itself, i.e. speak to the bank. To find out which bank, check with the district court which sent you the eviction order. 

Quite a bit of that mortgage must have been paid off already, otherwise you would have been kicked-out quite some time ago. 

So get the price the bank would part with the property and add the unpaid juristic person's outstanding. Then add another 6.6% of transfer tax and that will give you an estimate of the purchase price. 

Alternatively look for options; I do not think they will kick you out within the next fortnight; even if you do not have a contract you kept your contractual obligations which would mean, that the owner (whoever becomes owner) will have to observe a minimum termination period for the non-written agreement. The agreement was accepted by both parties almost ten years ago.

Smart move of your landlady; creaming off the rent and not paying mortgage - a first again! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seancbk said:

Here is part of the view from my kitchen window 

1624868207059.thumb.jpg.410908707983eb5dfa58d9474a01235e.jpg

Looks great, i hope you get to stay there. 

Its funny how ones attitude changes over time; when i first moved to BKK all i wanted was high-rise and a great view. my first place  was on the  38th floor in Ploenchit , amazing views; could see all the way past the airport down to the hills around Chonburi, yes true! Ploenchit to Chonburi (on a clear day). When you are that high you dont see just the weather you see the  climate. I used to like to sit on the balcony, during rainy season , and watch the cloud systems roll in from the Gulf of Thailand.  However after a time you get viewed out! and also all the noise of the city incl the highway below seem to oddly  magnify when you are so high. The other big issue with condo views in Bangkok is that ,usually , in the end, someone builds another high-rise across the street and you lose your great view.

Now we live in a mid-rise condo on a low floor , just above the garden, slightly higher than the   trees with the swimming pool just  below, and we love it. Sit on the balcony for breakfast and watch the birds. Nothing could be built around here that would interfere overmuch with our environment or view.

would not move back to high-rise again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Strange to just disappear.  I'd wonder if she had some serious trouble or died.

My last contact with her was 9 years ago when she gave me her bank details. 

The Juristic office asked me a few months ago if I could call her, but I didn't have a number, or at least not a number that they didn't already have. 

When I moved in the unit was brand new and nicely furnished.  There was no sofa and when I asked for one she said to buy one and bill her, I asked what budget and she said 150,000 baht!!!  I'm not sure if she really mean't 15,000 but I bought a very comfortable large Ikea sofa for 16,000 that is still in great condition.  

She mentioned that she bought the unit for her daughter, but she didn't want to live so far out of town (I'm guessing the daughter preferred Thong Lor).   If she had/has died then what happened to the daughter? 

It's a mystery that will probably never be solved!

1 minute ago, wordchild said:

Looks great, i hope you get to stay there. 

Its funny how ones attitude changes over time; when i first moved to BKK all i wanted was high-rise and a great view. my first place  was on the  38th floor in Ploenchit , amazing views; could see all the way past the airport down to the hills around Chonburi, yes true! Ploenchit to Chonburi (on a clear day). When you are that high you dont see just the weather you see the  climate. I used to like to sit on the balcony, during rainy season , and watch the cloud systems roll in from the Gulf of Thailand.  However after a time you get viewed out! and also all the noise of the city incl the highway below seem to oddly  magnify when you are so high. The other big issue with condo views in Bangkok is that ,usually , in the end, someone builds another high-rise across the street and you lose your great view.

Now we live in a mid-rise condo on a low floor , just above the garden, slightly higher than the   trees with the swimming pool just  below, and we love it. Sit on the balcony for breakfast and watch the birds. Nothing could be built around here that would interfere overmuch with our environment or view.

would not move back to high-rise again.

I've lived in very high places in HK as well as houses.  After a while as you say the view doesn't really matter as much.  

I am hoping to move into a nice corner unit on the 15th floor, with a balcony and windows on two sides.  I'm not that fussed about the view although it isn't bad, but I am looking forward to more light and being able to sit outside when it's cool (in the evening).  I may depending on the sun even be able to do a spot of naked sun bathing ???? 

On 6/27/2021 at 7:56 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I bet you couldn't believe your luck not having any rent increases.

Keep an eye on your committee, someone might buy it if sold cheap

I lived in the same house in Bang Na for 10 years, saw my landlord regularly and never had a rent increase.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 9:15 PM, seancbk said:

I spoke to the Juristic office and she hasn't paid her management fees for a long time either (not sure how long as I don't speak enough Thai to get that info). 

Not sure on Thai law but I would want to speak to a conveyancer or lawyer about who is going to be up for those levies as we call them, e.g. council, water and strata levies, you might refer to them here as management fees, which we would refer to real estate agents fees.

Just a thought because if you or your friend buy it, it might be an add on upon settlement which would impact on the purchase price.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 6:56 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I bet you couldn't believe your luck not having any rent increases.

Keep an eye on your committee, someone might buy it if sold cheap

I've often wondered about rent increases... I'm presently in a condo for 6 years with no increase and not a peep from the landlord since I first came. It was the same in the condo I rented before this, it was for 5 years, also without a peep. Seems that they are happy to have it occupied rather than scare a renter away with an increase? I'm thinking that if I had a condo rented out, I'd put something like a 2% automatic yearly increase in the contract. It seems reasonable to me.... Then it's known up front and expected and nobody needs to talk to anybody about it.

Edited by Sig

On 6/27/2021 at 5:01 AM, seancbk said:

I had a look round some other units in the building and the rents haven't changed much in 10 years. 

It's a great building, only 2 mins walk to a Sukhumvit line BTS and with a nice pool and gym.  My current unit is on the same floor as the pool and gym which is nice and convenient.  

If I have to move, I will just move to a different unit in the same building.  Which will mean no longer being so close to the pool and I'll have to pay a new deposit.   

Obviously not getting the original deposit back off her, although after 10 years that is no big deal. 

Your rent has not increased in 10 years? I'd say you've had a bargain for a long time.

Are you willing to PM me with the buildings name/ address. Thanks.