Wrong translation of Surname on marriage cert

reidy5565

My surname has been translated wrong on my marriage cert, want to get this sorted as its different from the kids birth certs, and im goin to be doing 1 year marriage extension visa soon and it will likely be an issue. Struggling to find any info on similar situations. 

They will not change the marriage certificate. They can change it on the Kor Ror 2 marriage registry by doing a addendum to it changing the spelling. That has to be done at the Amphoe where it was issued.

• Thanks 1

anyway it would really be a transliteration... Not a Translation

as a hypothetical example - I can't imagine there'd be a 'true' thai Translation,

for, say a: Mr Sorry  

- and a Mr Apple, would definitely always come out the transliterated version, for Appen

In the reverse sense:

in the Mrs's case; I've seen a few variations in transliterations into what is most commonly accepted by Mrs for her maiden surname Wajeesat, to transliterated English...

-  V for W, Js for Gs, e for ee etc etc 

• Thanks 1

yeah its definitely the marriage cert that's wrong the kids birth certs are fine.  i've got visas at embassies many times with it no issues , but now i'm doing the 1 year extension they are going to see the  difference between name on marriage and name on kids certs.

16 hours ago, reidy5565 said:

yeah its definitely the marriage cert that's wrong the kids birth certs are fine.  i've got visas at embassies many times with it no issues , but now i'm doing the 1 year extension they are going to see the  difference between name on marriage and name on kids certs.

As I wrote before it can be corrected on the Kor Ror 2 that immigration will want a updated print out of any way.

I assume the birth certificates were done after you go married and they should of matched the name on the marriage certificate.

• 2 weeks later...

The same happened to me but fortunately it was my first name. The letter 'i' as in Brian got changed to the sound of 'ee'. Immigration police noticed it, we all had a good laugh and nothing more was said.

• Like 2

Married to a Thai and her daughter a few years back.   I was amazed at how many official documents had both of their names spelled in various ways.  As we, at that time were planning overseas travels I spent at least two months getting the names on all of their official documents matched to the names on their birth certificates.  Phonetic spelling seems to be the norm and is accepted here in Thailand but when planning extensive overseas travels it could cause many issues if document names do not match. 

• Like 1

I had this also, although it was my first name that was wrongly translated, not surname. Also it was only a minor variation, not a completely wrong word.

it was 13 years ago but best that I recall, we went to the Amphur and my wife got them to write a document that explained the mistake and that was attached to the marriage certificate. It’s still attached I think.

I have no idea how “official” it is. It’s got rubber stamps and signatures on it though. I haven’t encountered any problems over the last 13 years,

if you want, I can pm you a copy of the piece of paper.

Had something similar, thou it was nationality.  Had me as English and I am American, the MFA would except the error, made go back to the company and have the make a new document with the correct nationality,  all this done in one day 30 years ago

On 7/13/2021 at 10:22 AM, dlclark97 said:

Married to a Thai and her daughter a few years back.   I was amazed at how many official documents had both of their names spelled in various ways.  Phonetic spelling seems to be the norm and is accepted here in Thailand 

Agree, When I hired my Thai brother-in-law to work for me I noticed his English spelled surname was spelled slightly differently from my wife's.  When I asked her about it, she said that's how someone thought it's spelled using the English alphabet (transliteration).

• 2 years later...