Checkpoints set up in Bangkok to stop construction workers leaving their sites

snoop1130

We have all see the metal shacks slums they call "construction worker dormitories".  Being locked in one of those camps would be horrific and these are foreign workers that are not well taken care of in Thailand to begin with. We complain about crappy ASQ - can you imagine being locked in a metal shed for a few weeks? It would be great if Red Cross or some other international agency is keeping an eye on their welfare...but I doubt that will happen ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greenmonkey said:

this smacks of desperation by the govt. I think they know there is a lot worse to come so they either tell the migrants to leave or get locked inside their camps. I am really beginning to worry now about what comes next. We all saw what happened in India...

Expect the worst and this gov will deliver. They had a dry run a few months after the coup. It was announced that there would be a crackdown on migrants without work permits. Rumours were put out into the work camps that incarceration or even executions were to take place. Within a few days hundreds of thousands packed up and went home. Every construction site in Bangkok and Pattaya was deserted. Developers turned on the Green Shirts and they went begging to Burma and Cambodia to get the workers back. The disruption lastèd months. 

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

to prevent workers leaving their compounds

Too late "reactive" Thailand. So far, at least 200 Cambodians have managed to cross into "home territory"

This caused about 200 Cambodian workers to leave and return to Cambodia.

Most of the returning workers are from the construction sector and a large number of them were fired by their employers.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50882843/cambodian-workers-return-from-thailand-amidst-new-covid-19-strain-scare/

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Stop Bangkok exodus with four(!) roadblocks?

And CM has 2 set up to stop BKK or red area people coming in. I think-ith to call them all incompetent nitwits or ignoramuses' is too soft. Throw all of these self centered self righteous racists out.

Quote from TV article CM forum: Chiang Mai Governor Charoenrit Sanguansat has ordered, as of this morning, two checkpoints set up into the city of Chiang Mai – at the Saraphi and Don Chan intersections – to inspect people travelling into the city from the ten provinces which are currently in the dark red zone (Nakkorn Pathom, Nontaburi, Patum thani, Samut Prakarn, Yala, Narathiwat, Pattani, Songkhla, Samut Sakhon and Bangkok).

8 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Im getting a bit worried, my wife has to go to hospital in BKK next month, I think the worst place to be is in a hospital she has 2 jabs I know that still doesn't stop from getting infected,

My govt hospital postponed all elective appts into October.

Make sure she really needs the visit right now. BK is on fire.

Good luck!

9 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Sometimes this country and the attitude of its people stinks, if it wasn't for migrants the Thais would still be living in tin shacks and riding buffalo on dirt roads.

er....   the real Thais still do....

13 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Isn’t enforced quarantine for fourteen days, when you cannot leave the room?

Desperate measures for desperate times

The difference being people willing submit to quarantine in order to enter the country; none of the factory or construction workers signed up for forced enslavement which it is. 
"You're now sealed in.  You can not leave.  Now get back to work!"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

this smacks of desperation by the govt. I think they know there is a lot worse to come so they either tell the migrants to leave or get locked inside their camps. I am really beginning to worry now about what comes next. We all saw what happened in India...

Toss PCR tests and only treat symptomatic patients and the whole dynamics would change.  Then the only cases are people who are sick.  The hospitals would empty.